Teacher table small group reading - ideas?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Bella2010, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Nov 1, 2014

I get really tired of hearing/reading the same story for five rotations. :|

We do whole group reading and then go into rotations where teacher table is one of them. What do you all do at teacher table during your reading rotation?

3. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Nov 1, 2014

I read a different leveled book with each group since they're grouped by ability.

4. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Nov 1, 2014

Good idea. We don't have a reading series, so I don't have any leveled readers. Maybe I'll find some on the internet.

Thanks!

Beth

5. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Nov 1, 2014

We don't have a reading series either, but my school does have leveled readers in our instructional coach's room that we can check out. I also use the Scholastic Book Wizard (free online) when I need to level additional books.

6. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Nov 1, 2014

Same.

I print out books from Reading A to Z and use them with my students for guided reading. I was never given a single leveled reader so Reading A to Z is priceless to me.

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 1, 2014

I read leveled readers and each group has word work at their level. Well. My lowest group mostly does letter work, then sight words, then other word work. I would see if you can get a Reading A to Z subscription and print books out for each group.

8. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Nov 1, 2014

Love using Reading A-Z for leveled readers!!!

9. melnm

melnm Companion

Nov 2, 2014

We have Reading A to Z too. It is great! Tasha, what kinds of word work do you do? We are kind of on our own on how we do reading groups and I need some ideas. This is my first year back in kindergarten after 10 years and things have changed!

10. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Nov 2, 2014

I have 3 groups and each group is reading a different novel. I work on different skills with each group. My high group is more self-paced and we meet to discuss how the reading is going - they work on questions I post on Edmodo. My mid-level group works on vocabulary and literary elements. My lower group works on vocabulary, fluency and comprehension strategies.

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 2, 2014

Word work - endings (s, -Ed, -ing, etc..), rhyming words, word families, using chunks of known words for reading and writing. We build it with magnet letters, write on whiteboards with fun colors instead of black, or games (either printed or purchased lakeshore type games).

12. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Nov 2, 2014

I was going to suggest Reading A-Z, but a couple of people already beat me to it. :) I bought my own subscription in first. It's worth the money if you need readers.

However, I see you teach 5th? What about using novels and doing guided reading with those? Do you have any money to purchase those? If you don't, the Scholastic $1 book deals could really save you. I do get money for book club sets, but I recently purchased a few sets for $6 each using those $1 books! Some of them are really great - Bridge to Terabithia is $1 right now, for example.

13. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Nov 2, 2014

I actually teach 3rd, first year, but I haven't changed my profile. :) I will look into the Scholastic deals! Thanks!

14. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Nov 2, 2014

Ooh, with 3rd, depending on your levels, I could definitely see doing a combination of Reading A to Z books and chapter books. There's a lot on there for $1 that would work for 3rd right now - A to Z Mysteries, Bad Kitty, Shiloh (bit higher), Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing, Stone Fox. Actually, Charlotte's Web is $1 right now! I KNOW that is often used in 3rd. There's actually more on there right now for 3rd than for 5th..I'm a little jealous. ;)

15. melnm

melnm Companion

Nov 12, 2014

Thank you, Tasha, those ideas will help me out!