Teacher Suspended For Using "F-Word"

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mariecurie, May 13, 2014.

1. mariecurie

mariecurie Companion

May 13, 2014

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 13, 2014

I think cussing in front of students is wrong. But a reprimand and follow up should be enough.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 13, 2014

Your link didn't work for me, but I don't think there's any excuse for using the F word around kids...my third graders think 'stupid' is a bad word!

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 13, 2014

I will add that I am very strict with bad language in my room. I'm the teacher that will stop students in the hallway, even if I don't know them, and stop them from cursing.

However, I have cussed twice in front of students. Once was a few years ago when "what the hell" came out very casually as I was describing something in lecture. It wasn't even directed to a student. @@ The other time was about three weeks ago. A roach that I thought was dead flipped over and started crawling UP the napkin I was picking him up with. Fast. I said "$hit!" just as my first student of the day walked in (40 minutes before school started, by the way).

At my school, if someone actually complained about it, I would probably hear "try to watch your language better next time" and that would be the end of it. Our athletic coaches cuss at the kids all the time and get away with it so I don't think my words would get much attention.

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 13, 2014

I had an assignment for my Communications students to create a tip sheet for students taking the Smarter Balanced test, but when I said it, it came out as "tip sh*t".

7. aprilshowers

aprilshowers Rookie

May 13, 2014

This situation seems unfair. At my school, I have seen or heard students report teachers saying much worse. My school is frustrating and the students can be difficult and, well, **** happens! Some of my friends have been talked to by the principal for saying bad words, but only 1 has been fired. She was terrible -- she was screaming at students by calling them "a bunch of dicks." She also famously called a 6th grader a slut. She was crazy cakes, though, so that wasn't the only reason she was fired.

I've sworn once in front of kids. I do not have any windows in my room and it was over 80 degrees inside. I opened up a door which has a giant protective fence in front of it (leaving the fence locked). A homeless person jumped the fence and walked into my classroom! I said, "What the f**k?!" and proceeded to scream at him to leave my room! I wasn't proud of it, but I was very scared in that moment. He was 5 feet from one of my students. My kids understood and I would have never gotten in trouble for that. If I had gotten in trouble, I would have given Admin hell for the lack of security on school grounds. There were 2 other gates that should have been locked before that person got to my fenced door.

8. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

May 13, 2014

I come down much harder on my own kids for using "stupid" than using curse words -- in fact, my only warning about curse words is they need to be aware and not use them unconsciously.

"Stupid" is a word that's usually used to bully. s**t isn't.

9. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

May 13, 2014

When I was in high school there was a teacher who was notoriously know for cursing in his class. But he was one of those teachers that was cool as sh*t and a bit crazy so students never told on him.

In regards to the story, a reprimand obviously should take place, but maybe not as extreme as a suspension.

10. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

May 13, 2014

I think it depends on the age of the students and the actual swear word.
    I had a few music teachers in high school that we got our fair share of, "H*lls, sh*ts, and d*mns" from but we were in high school, it was a totally different situation.
    The younger, the more inappropriate, and the bigger the swear, like the F bomb is definitely always inappropriate and the teacher should be reprimanded.

11. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 14, 2014

It depends on the age too- I accidentally said "Oh sh.." when I dropped a goldfish (a rather large) one onto a keyboard while showing it to 2 of my students after school. (I was worried the goldfish got hurt... but it was fine) I was so embarrassed and apologized- they told me not to worry about it.

It happens... I don't think anybody should lose their job over it unless it was towards a child and in anger.

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 14, 2014

I have cursed in front of kids exactly twice. Both times I was driving and bad things were happening, like lanes ending and there being huge trucks where I needed to merge. They were my drama kids, and just laughed.

I have used da*n in class before, but mostly quoting movies, since I teach film studies. I'm pretty cautious what films I'll show in class, though language is something I worry about less than violence, sex, or nudity. When kids curse, I warn them to stop, unless it is directed at another person. Then I write a referral to the office.

13. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

May 14, 2014

Reading the article, I honestly think it is worse that the teacher disappeared for a week thereafter leaving no plans for substitutes.

14. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 14, 2014

I was under the impression the teacher disappeared due to the admin's request that he disappear. (ie a suspension).

15. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

May 14, 2014

Gotcha, that makes more sense. I didn't realize a student had said he disappeared, thought the quote was from an admin.

16. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

May 14, 2014

While I don't curse around my students, I have seen (heard) teachers curse in the presence of students. Nothing happens in these cases.

Now, if a teacher curses AT a student; it depends on how big a deal the child makes out of the situation. If the child doesn't care and will let it go, nothing happens. It the child does care, then a parent-teacher-Admin meeting is held and at worst, a complaint will be placed in the person's file. No suspensions.

17. teach1

teach1 Companion

May 14, 2014

wow, how often do teachers at your school curse AT students?!:eek:hmy:

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 14, 2014

I read the article but it doesn't say how the principal found out about the incident (did I miss something?). Did a student rat him out? The students now seem so concerned about his welfare so why did they alert administration?

19. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

May 14, 2014

I teach kindergarten and definitely would be in trouble if I said any curse words. Especially with the set of parents we have right now. However, a few years ago, I was on the playground and fell, nearly breaking my ankle. I did say a curse word but I don't remember saying it and of course it was the F-bomb. (my co workers told me I said it) I told my principal at the time in case any parent said anything. I don't believe anything was said because I never heard anything about it. THen there was the time a computer generated word search put the s-word and not shut up in the word search. We took it to our principal and he thought it was funny. In fact he said Oh s-word when he saw it. Nothing was ever said about that either. I have said shut up a few times and for kinder and first grade that is a big no no. We have survived and gone on.

20. mariecurie

mariecurie Companion

May 14, 2014

I think it was a student who complained, whether or not a parent was involved I'm not sure. Some people are pointing out that if a student is that upset over hearing a swear word at school, how do they function around their classmates (or in the "real world")?

21. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 14, 2014

I teach high school, so this would probably get a teacher a verbal reprimand, but not much else. Now, if the teacher cursed *at* the student, like saying, "You're un-f###ing-believable..." that would be different, but even that (if it were an isolated incident) most likely wouldn't lead to the teacher being fired.

What bothers me about this is that high school coaches (especially football coaches) curse at their players ALL THE TIME! They call them horrible names, on the field, during games, and no one ever says a thing about it. It's accepted as the norm. I've seen this happen again and again at public schools and even private religious schools. I hate the double standard.

22. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

May 14, 2014

Yeah, as a high school teacher, it's not that big a deal (depending on context and intent). I know I've slipped and said a few; the kids just laugh and "oooh" and we move on. I'm pretty laid back about language in my room anyway. I don't allow it, but if a student slips and curses, I shoot her/him a look, they always apologize and we move on (different if cursing AT someone, ofc).

I've used profanity quite deliberately with my drama kids when dicussing intent, emotion, etc. It's not an isse.

23. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 14, 2014

I have cussed exactly once in my classroom, but it was only da*n. I know my high schoolers have heard (and probably said) worse than that. We do have a history teacher that is notorious for cussing, though he has never dropped the f-bomb. Nothing is ever done to him.

band~I hate the double standard of coaches getting away with cussing as well.

24. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 14, 2014

I had a colleague calling her class a bunch of f***s... no one did anything in that case.

(Of course, she meant to say folks, and no one but her EA and her noticed, lol)

25. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 14, 2014

Honestly, I wouldn't really like it if it were my kids in that class since I think that teachers should model appropriate behavior and I don't want my kids speaking that way.

But, we're teachers not robots. People make mistakes and sometimes things slip out. I don't know that suspension was warranted unless it's a reoccuring thing he's been warned about, but it just keeps happening anyway.

26. bros

bros Phenom

May 14, 2014

Only time i've cursed in the classroom was as a student - and that was when I was regaining consciousness after having a loss of consciousness seizure in the classroom.

I let out a string of curses, apparently. It was rather shocking.

27. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 14, 2014

I've sworn in front on my 3rd graders. I was reading and witch came out b*%ch. I swore yesterday in front of a parent when the tornado sirens went off at dismissal. Just the S word, she looked at me & said is that the tornado siren? She left in a hurry to go get her kids.

28. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

May 14, 2014

It's rare.

I notice it more this year because I have a hall neighbor that curses a lot in her general speech which (I believe) makes it harder for her to filter her language when she's talking to the kids - especially when she gets upset. She uses "a**" a lot, as in: "sit your a** down" or "shut your a** up." Also, she seems to get upset easily when students curse at her (which is common here) and she will curse back.

Now, earlier in in the year, she called a kid a "b**** a** little punk" and he flipped out, called his mom in class and my P had to do a lot of dancing to calm the parent down. Nothing punitive happened to the teacher though (my P didn't write her up).

29. ATwainedTeacher

ATwainedTeacher Rookie

May 15, 2014

I teach high school, and a word has slipped out once or twice, but it was mostly from surprise. There was one time we were doing an activity outside, and I managed to step in this giant hole and almost fall. I said, "Oh s***" or something to that effect. Luckily, I only had one student beside me at the time.

I've sworn in the context of reading out loud to my classes, but I tend to pass over the less tame words. Trying to read Of Mice and Men out loud while skipping over the less tame swear words is kind of like participating in roller derby.

30. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

May 15, 2014

Why is it okay if a teacher says "crap" but not if they say "$hit"?

31. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

May 15, 2014

To me that really isn't just letting a swear word loose every now and then. That is swearing at the students directly, which should be grounds for disciplinary action.

I kind of think anymore it is to represent a professional formal type of speaking attitude, and less about how people think swearing is just bad. This is 2014, kids have heard just about anything and everything, and they swear worse than teachers do when they are out of work even.

32. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 15, 2014

In high school, I had a math teacher who would always swear. (Not at students, but while he was making jokes.) He was a great teacher and had an amazing relationship with most of his students. In general, I think swearing is a bad idea when teaching. I find it disrespectful to the school and to my students. But I do know teachers that swear in class and are great teachers.

33. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 15, 2014

I had a 6th grade teacher who would 'cuss'. He wouldn't really, he would insert 'blankity-blank blank' for the cuss words. He did slip one time, but no one really made a big deal out of it.

34. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 15, 2014

Are you concerned this could happen as a teacher?

35. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 15, 2014

My least favorite phrase ever is "What the...?", not saying the third word. I always ask students what that third word is supposed to be. H? F? I don't like leaving anything to interpretation.

I admit, I swear like a sailor when not at work. But at work, it's a no-no. Even the perception, I think is just not professional. The guy in the article ha a right to be upset, but he should have maintained control.

I guess I'm just old fashioned like that.

36. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 15, 2014

What is your policy when calling out a student who just cursed?

For instance, when they ask what they did, or when you explain it to the parents?

I personally find that if I try to dance around the word "You said the d word." or "Your child said the d word" then the kid finds it amusing, and will use it to their advantage.

However if I just right out and say it, "You said d*mn, never say that in my class again." The child gets a little bit shocked that I just call them out on it, and it throws them off balance.

I've taken to simply saying the word outright, even to their parents, because sometimes the parents can be as obtuse as their kids, "which d word?".

After all, what you're doing in this case is just reporting what happened, and it's not like you're directing anger at the student. If it's a long phrase also, it can get awkward. "He said the C-word, F-word, D-word, A-word."

Granted, I only felt confident enough to start saying it when my principal said the word outright when a kid got in trouble for it, and he was shocked, and she responded with, "Yeah! That's right! If you're shocked hearing me use that word then you better well not use it yourself! I'm not afraid to say it."

I love my P.

37. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 15, 2014

I simply say "watch your language" with students and that's the end of it with them. If I feel the need to push it further - office referral, let's say, I'll write out the word completely. I don't call home for cussing. It is an infraction listed directly in the handbook. If I feel that I can't handle it on my own I'll take it straight to admin.

If it does end up being discussed with a parent I wouldn't hesitate to repeat what was said. But most likely I'd pull out my copy of the referral first and have them read it.

38. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

May 15, 2014

Since I teach kinder, I would never want to say the offending word. I do see how it would work in the upper elementary and secondary.

39. bros

bros Phenom

May 16, 2014

No, seizures that involve a loss of consciousness are few and far between for me - I had a set of three in 1996 and then the one in 2007. Most of my seizures are complex partial episodes where I am partially cognizant the entire time and I can function for about 30-60 minutes afterwards before the post-ictal period begins.

My current regimen of medications have reduced my seizure frequency to every 12-15 months.

40. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

May 16, 2014

As a new teacher, I once let a child push me to the point that I swore at him. There were no other children in the classroom at the time.

I know it was wrong and risky because I could have gotten into A LOT of trouble if he'd told someone, but I had been pushed to my limit and didn't know what else to do. There was no support from the administration nor the parents (Mom would cry on the phone and say the was praying and trying her best. Dad would spank him. The boy got so bad that sometimes his mother would keep him at home, then call me and say, "I'm keeping Little Johnny at home to give you a break Ms. Catz")

The saddest part is that the child had been terrorizing my class nonstop since August, but was on model behavior for a week after that.

When I asked him what changed he said, "Because of what you said to me."

It didn't last. Once he realized I wasn't going to curse at him again, he went right back to stealing from my desk and other students backpacks, peeing in the communal soap bottle, attacking other children in the bathroom, breaking the lead off his pencil and attempting to throw it in other children's eyes, constantly picking on/hitting a developmentally delaying boy in my class and choosing one child a day and describing in great detail how he was going to murder them.

The student described is now in middle school now and I sometimes wonder how he's doing and if anyone has ever able to help him. :(