Teacher Supplies Go To

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by RuralPAteacher, Aug 2, 2012.

1. RuralPAteacher

RuralPAteacher Rookie

Aug 2, 2012

You have all seem the numerous teacher supply catalogs. They all seem expensive to me. Perhaps thats because my school budget is almost nonexistent and I have to pay out of pocket for everything. I do buy a lot from target and the dollar store, but they don't have a lot of things I want. Which company do you find has the BEST prices and the BEST products? Do you have any websites you recommend for purchasing teacher supplies? When I say teacher supplies, I mean anything and everything furniture, center games, bulletin board materials, etc.

Thanks in advance!! :)

3. imanashhole

imanashhole Companion

Aug 2, 2012

my suggestion would have been target and your local dollar store, lol...sorry, those are my go to places! I can't imagine not finding what you need at target!

4. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Aug 2, 2012

I always search around craigslist. You find many Educators that have
    retired, switched grades, etc that are trying to get rid of their stuff. Also, Amazon has everything I usually see in teacher supply stores and it's usually 20% less. Then if you have Amazon prime you get it in 2 days. :)

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2012

I think it all depends on what you are looking for. Furniture is expensive so I wouldn't get it through a teacher supply company. I think it's best to mix and match as different retailers will have better prices on certain items.

6. RuralPAteacher

RuralPAteacher Rookie

Aug 2, 2012

Thanks guys. I know that I will have to shop around, but I am a newer teacher and not really familiar with what companies/websites are out there to look at. I know about Lakeshore and reallygoodstuff.com Are they good priced ones or are their better options out there for these things? I make all of my centers, but I did see a few reading center activities on the Lakeshore website along with science skits that look neat. I am just not crazy about the price, so I am wondering if there are other places out there and which ones have the best prices.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2012

I like to wait until the week before and after Labor Day. Many places like ETA and LakeShore have sales then. I can usually score many deals for 50-80% off during this time.

8. trulyunic

trulyunic Rookie

Aug 2, 2012

I'm a new teacher as well and I've found some decent prices on items I will need such as organizers (med size mailbox) and general items from Wise Owl

http://www.thewiseowl.com/

I also find good deals and ideas at our local craft stores

9. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Aug 2, 2012

10. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Aug 2, 2012

I've found a lot of low-cost or free bulletin board things on Teachers Pay Teachers. JoAnn Fabrics also has a lot of teacher supplies if you have one by you. You just need a coupon in the Sunday paper to get at least 40% off. Science kits are probably trickier to find at a lower cost, but as far as bulletin board materials and organizers, I think you can get those at a lower price if I shop around.

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 2, 2012

I like Teacher Created Resources and Really Good Stuff. I think most of the catalogs are pretty similar price-wise. They are all going to offer different products, though...It depends on which designs you like. I also like some of Carson Dellosa's stuff.

12. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 2, 2012

I agree with a previous poster who suggested craigslist, but would add keep an eye out for yard/garage sales. You never know what goodies you'll find!

13. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2012

I go to Lakeshore because there is a store near me and I don't have to pay for shipping and handling. They have great sales going on right now. I buy a ton of stuff there and it never comes out to being as much money as I expected. I really only go there once a year.

14. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 2, 2012

You can't really shop there per se, but I asked for a lot of expensive stuff on DonorsChoose. If you don't need something immediately this would be a good option.

Otherwise I'm just a sucker for Lakeshore. They are horrendously expensive, but amazing. :rolleyes:

15. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Aug 3, 2012

16. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2012

I agree completely. There are some things I really, really want from Lakeshore but they're not necessities and they're super expensive so I'll do that stuff through Donors Choose. (Just got a listening center project with a few hundred dollars worth of stuff funded two weeks ago- woohoo!)

The stuff I buy at the beginning of the year at Lakeshore is usually all bulletin board stuff, borders, decorations, name plates, labels, etc. etc. That stuff isn't outrageously expensive.

I wish Lakeshore had like a registry so I could go into the store and pick out what I wanted and automatically upload it to Donors Choose! Whenever I'm on their website I have a hard time deciding what to get but when I go into the store I want everything!

17. Avalon

Avalon Rookie

Aug 3, 2012

I have a local Lakeshore as well, and they are awesome for elementary. I wish they had secondary supplies! They rarely carry anything past 6th grade.

I find a lot of what I need at Target, and their back to school sales are great. I make it a point to stop there around Valentine's Day, too, for my favorite pink items.

18. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2012

Classroom Direct

19. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

Aug 6, 2012

Oriental Trading often has bulletin board supplies, posters and other "knock off" materials. Sometimes the quality isn't as good, but I have a great pocket calendar from there and some other things and they were definitely cheaper.