Teacher/Student Progress

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lupin43, Oct 27, 2007.

1. lupin43

lupin43 Companion

Oct 27, 2007

I teach middle school. The students are not doing homework consistently. I have a few plans on how to fix this which include Survivor Algebra, graphing class homework completion each day by percent as well as supply checks.

I think the students still see me as someone that has it all together. That never had trouble with homework or tests or accomplishing anything, which is far from the truth. I want to model for them things like goal setting, progress charting, in something I'm not good at.

The first thing that came to mind was "living a healthy lifestyle." Basically, I need to exercise, eat right, and lose weight. I think a realistic goal is to lose 10 pounds by Christmas. Would it be inappropriate to tell them this and graph it in the classroom? They would see me struggle with something. It is entirely possible that I won't reach the goal, but will improve. I want them to give me 15 min. per night on homework, and this way I would have some too. (to exercise.)

I can't decide if this would be too personal or not, but I don't mind my students seeing me as a person with flaws. I, of course, would run this by my team and principal, but wanted other professional input as well.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 27, 2007

I don't think that sounds unrealistic. Sometimes our students need to see us as real people and that there are things that we struggle with. By discussing this with them in depth, about how people set goals for themselves whether its an A in one particular subject or raising the grade from a D to a C in another class to something as personal as losing 10 lbs, you are providing a good model for them. I would tell them that sometimes we set unrealistic goals (going from a D to an A, or losing say 20 lbs by Christmas). Good luck with the weight loss and also the homework issue!