"Teacher Store"

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MsBee, Aug 11, 2009.

1. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Aug 11, 2009

I will be going for the first time to the "teacher store" on thursday. I don't want to go crazy in there because I know a lot of the stuff I can make.
    I know I need a calendar set.
    What else would you recommend. This is for first grade!

I need a pointer but I hear you can make one...just don't know how.

3. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 11, 2009

You might want to wait until you go through everything in your room. Again, ask your principal or whomever is in charge of you (mentor?) about this. Your county is pretty wealthy (even with the economy, they've been flush in the past), and it's quite possible that you have a lot of stuff in your room already. Some schools even get border and stuff like that for their teachers.

4. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Aug 11, 2009

I saw my room. There is absolutely nothing in there. As a matter of fact I am going to e-mail one of the teachers there to ask her somethings about this.
    Thanks for the advice.

5. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 11, 2009

:huh:

I would definitely talk to that teacher. You should at least have instructional supplies, math manipulatives, language arts stuff, etc.

If you really have nothing, then get your basic organizational stuff from Target or the dollar store, where it's cheaper. Clothespins and popsicle sticks are good dollar-store buys. So are book bins.

You should have butcher paper at your school, but you will have to buy your own borders, if you want them. Those are good teacher store buys, because they are not really cheaper elsewhere. If you're really short on cash, you can not use borders, just cut your butcher paper really precisely. (I have a love affair with borders, so I always use them.) I also like to get "Welcome to School" pencils at the teacher store.

When you get to your school, hopefully everyone will be aware that you are a new teacher, and they will throw things your way. I'm actually buying whiteboards for my brand-new-teacher mentee, because I know her life will be so much easier if she has them.

6. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 11, 2009

I would stay away from overpriced teacher stores and go to Dollar Tree if there is one around you. I got a calender set from there. I LOVE dollar stores! :)

7. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Aug 11, 2009

I need to go to another dollar tree because they did not have calendar sets today when I went.

8. MissBee

MissBee Companion

Aug 11, 2009

I like to get cute label to put on lockers, name plates for desks, a job chart calendar, regular calendar, incentive charts, etc. I usually go in there with a $$ amount in my head that I'm planning to spend, otherwise I'd spend a fortune in there.

I do get some items from the Dollar Tree store, but I find that the quality is not always that great. They usually have a decent selection of bulletin borders, stickers, and cheap prizes, though.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2009

I made the cutest pointers for my room a few years ago- they are the kids' favorites- Get some cheap gardening or work gloves from the dollar store. Mine were plain off-white knit color- I left one that color and tie-dyed the other. Stuff the gloves with fiber fill. Sew the fingers down so only the pointer finger is extended (the tie dye one I made in the 'rock on' hand gesture!). Push filled glove onto a dowel- (get a decent sized diameter dowel so it's sturdy)...Use hot glue to secure it at glove opening, Tie a ribbon around the 'wrist'. I threaded the dowel down to the end of the pointer finger for stability, making sure there was fiber fill in the finger around the dowel as well....So cute!

Also while in the dollar store look for other things that can be pointers- plastic water and glitter filled batons, long bubble wands in different shapes...Great for calendar, word wall, read the room...

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 12, 2009

The teacher store is soooo much fun, but if you're smart and don't mind a day or two of hunting, you can find great things other places for much less.

My finds from the last two days:

Two AMAZING funky vases at the Goodwill.
    4 fabric lined baskets 50% off at Michaels, with another 15% for teachers.
    Fabric for bulletin boards at JoAnns, marked down to $2 a yard.
    Labels for all my plastic drawers-designed on the computer and printed on labels from the dollar store.
    Paper organizers-beautiful wire ones-from Craigslist for about 1/4 of what I would have paid in the store.
    Free art supplies/table from Freecycle.
    Funky frames to make into bulletin boards from Craigslist, $3 each.
    Fancy paper for writing centers-$1/pack at the Dollar Store.
    Fancy large sheets of paper to make center stations, local paper store, $3 a sheet (hangers are in my closet). I'll make the activity cards on my computer and print them on random colored paper from my house.
    Very cool stained glass butterfly lamp for the writing center from Freecycle.
    Old watches from Freecycle for an art project.
    Bulletin board and huge wipe-off board from Freecycle.
    Chair to paint up special from Freecycle.

This is just the last two days without much effort. If I were you, I'd sketch out an idea of what you want for your room-decorations, manipulatives, furniture, etc. Then get on Freecycle and start sending out the posts. I've sent about 20 out in the last week, and gotten everything I've asked for. Also look on Craigslist. Also look on Littlest Learners and Sprout.

I'll admit-I still buy new from store-I bought a ton with that Mardel 50% off coupon, but I mostly buy used and from random places.

11. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2009

I love the suggestions already made here and I definitely encourage you to think outside the box. The crafty pointer is great - but seriously, you are just getting started, the kids will NOT die if you use a ruler to point with. Then you can accumulate things you want and need slowly without breaking the bank right now. Look around your house (or your parents or friends) for things you can use. A big foam finger from your college as a pointer, a deck of cards for grouping, a clapper from the dollar store as an attention getter...
    You're going to be a great teacher whether or not you have your wish list right now. Hang in there and don't go into debt! Best wishes.

12. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 12, 2009

Dowel rods with novelty erasers are fun pointers, also :)