teacher store stress out

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by animalclass, Jul 12, 2008.

1. animalclass

animalclass Companion

Jul 12, 2008

so today i was shopping at the teacher store happy as can be,
    i walked down an isle and they was a young teacher on the floor with a million things scattered around her, she was looking down, i needed something where she was so i said excuse me, she said sorry and scooted over and thats when i noticed she was crying, she was like i just graduated and got hired in fourth grade and i dnt know what to buy or what theme or what i like, so i got on the floor and went through some of her stuff, the first thing i did was tell her dnt stress over it, i picked up a bb set of jobs, i said this takes up a whole bullitin board and is 12 dollars, trust me its not gonna be a good purchase, we can use a computer a nd some cutouts, i kept giving her advice and she was calming down and we kept going through things what good whats a waste, she started talking about how shes in love with traveling, every summer she would go someplace and plans to do the same in her teaching career, i was likeyou should do a traveling theme, she picked out some boarders of roads, lisence plates, flags, she started smileing having fun, she said she has so many extra nick nacks and figurines from places she has traveled, i said you should unbox some of them and put them on top of your cabinets, you know just making the room her own and so on, i was at that store for 3 hours, anyway the point is i helped someone and i am very proud.:2up:

have any of you had similar experiences

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 12, 2008

Awww, you really helped her!

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 12, 2008

I am glad that you were able to make someone's day!:)

5. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2008

That was so nice of you! I'm sure she really appreciated your help. Poor thing--Hope she feels more confident and less overwhelmed soon. You are a very kind person!!!!!

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 12, 2008

That's awesome! I hope you told her about this site too:)

7. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 12, 2008

This made me smile! I'm glad there are people like you in the world.

I bet she will remember you and how you helped her for a looooong time.

8. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jul 12, 2008

You were a little Godsend for her. I like to remember what it was like. It helps me be grateful. My first year, I asked a teacher at my school what she was doing on the first day. She ignored me. The next year, a new teacher asked me what I was doing on the first day and I told her everything!
    Anyway, good job!

9. ABL

ABL Rookie

Jul 12, 2008

glad you were there to help her :) I'm just out of school (well, in a week I will be) and am going to be startin teaching 4th grade this fall as well, and hope I might run into someone just as nice to help me out when I try to go shopping! I'm still pretty clueless (but not too stressed yet:))

10. animalclass

animalclass Companion

Jul 12, 2008

i was amazed someone could act like there cat died over classroom supplies, anyway i love helping people, i was in that position last summer, without the stress and crying

11. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Jul 12, 2008

That's really nice of you! :)

12. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 13, 2008

What a wonderful role model you were to her!!! That's awesome... you should be proud!!

13. forkids

forkids Cohort

Jul 13, 2008

Maybe teacher colleges should put graduates in touch with local teachers who are willing to give advice to new teachers. They also should give this website to all graduates!

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 13, 2008

I doubt the whole thing was about supplies but rather about just being overwhelmed and not knowing where to start to begin with. I'm like that with searching for a desk. I know what I want but the more I look and the more pressure I put on myself for having that perfect desk NOW, the more I haven't a clue about what to buy and when. Just being there to talk her through it was exactly what she needed to get over being so overwhelmed by it all. That was a very heartwarming story.

15. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

Sounds like you came around at just the right time! She'll be paying that forward sometime! :)

16. Daisha

Daisha Companion

Jul 13, 2008

That's Awesome! I wasn't having a great morning and that story cheered me up. I love seeing people being nice to one another and helping each other out. :):wow:
    You don't see enough of it sometimes in this world.

17. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 13, 2008

What a wonderful opportunity and you grabbed it! I just think teachers are some of the most generous, thoughtful people in the world.

18. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 13, 2008

thats great that you helped her out!

19. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jul 13, 2008

that was nice of you! I bet she felt great when she left that you took the time to care and help her. Kudos to you! We need more people like you!

20. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2008

You are so nice!

I know for me when I go into a teacher store, I have to stay focused otherwise I have a panic attack. I see something, think, "oh...wouldn't that be a great idea, I could.." then I forget what I originally came for- I get system overload and have to recollect and focus on my list. So I am so glad you helped someone.:wub:

21. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 13, 2008

That gave me goosebumps...I was in that same position my first year of teaching, only I was the one nearly in tears because I didn't know what to purchase, I ended up spending way too much money, and didn't even use a lot of the stuff I bought. I put it up, and then took it down a short time later. I wish someone like you would of helped me out. You are awesome!

22. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 13, 2008

That is so wonderful that you were there for her when she needed it. The nearest teacher store was an hour away so I didn't even go before I went to my new school. I bebopped down the hallway so excited, then I walked in the room and it was EMPTY. I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't that. There was an empty teacher desk and 20 empty student desks staring at me. I just kept turning around thinking that something was wrong. I'm sure we all had that overwhelming feeling walking into that first room. Shoot, I'm walking into a 2nd classroom after 11 years of teaching, I have TONS of stuff to bring in, and I am still feeling overwhelmed! :)

23. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

That was incredibly nice of you to help her out! Being a first year teacher is scary enough, especially when you don't have anyone helping you along the way, so I'm sure she appreciated your help. :)

24. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 13, 2008

The world needs more people like you. I would have done the same. I do a travel theme also... and am in the same grade.

I was there once, sort of. When I was first hired, I was a bit confounded. However, my anxieties subsided quickly.

Perhaps she can find a nice place like A-Z to receive the guidance she needs as well. I would LOVE to talk to her, especially because I love traveling as well.

25. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 13, 2008

Great job! I hope you told her about AtoZ and we can help her even more. I wonder if new teachers read about all the plans we make and the themes we use and are intimidated by everything we discuss? I hope any of you reading remember that we all have felt that way at some time and you get better with experience. Don't try to take it all on in your first year :2up:

26. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 13, 2008

You rock!!!! :2up:

27. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 13, 2008

You were such a blessing for her. I've felt like that (overwhelmed) and this is year 14 for me! I bet she will be talking about how great you were and what a fantastic theme for her! I had never thought of the idea of a traveling theme...HMMM! (for next year, I've already changed twice over the summer - it's safari and I'm sticking to it!) I know she will never forget your kindness. Isn't it great how God gives us opportunities to help others?

28. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 13, 2008

That was really nice. That poor girl sounds so overwhelmed! You did a really good thing.

:)

29. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 13, 2008

Thank you for doing this for a new teacher--- I'm sure you all remember what its like to be a new teacher and we often need alot of help because we're so scared to mess up.

I'm also one of the lucky ones--- the teacher I'm taking over for has been so very helpful to me and has given me so much advice and resources, I know I'll have a wonderful year. :)

30. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 13, 2008

Will you come shopping with ME?! :) I'm excited about putting my kindergarten room together, but it IS so much work.

31. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

That was very nice of you.
    Maybe we should all make Vistaprint buisness cards with atozteacherstuff.com forum info to hand out to teachers like that when we come across them!

32. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 14, 2008

I'm not even a new teacher and I'm bombarded, I kick myself for spending so much time reading on here everyday, but I can't stop. I hate decisions to begin with and decided on a Hollywood theme this year, walked into teacher supply and saw so many other choices. I was there for like 1 1/2 hours deciding -just on the BORDERS - I felt like a new teacher again.

I'm sure this newbie was grateful for the guidance - maybe we should start a hotline number for people to call if they need a teacher supply intervention ;) !

33. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 14, 2008

I think I have it easy. I grabbed a hold of this site with 2 hands and never let go. I'm not a new teacher so I don't have to put together the whole picture. I was a new aide but that makes this place EXCITING, not overwhelming. I can choose and take whatever I wish and leave whatever I wish. A new teacher is trying to decide from a whole sea of things to fit every part of their job. I don't have that responsibility so it's like going to a candy store.

The only negative with me is knowing that if I buy something I MAY not get to use it because technically it isn't my classroom and it isn't my decision. The same is said for anything I create or plan.

Now what IS overwhelming for me is being told I have to dump 2 classrooms filled to the max with supplies into 1 classroom in a single week and then I have to decorate it with whatever supplies I find and wait a minute...I can't throw anything out because it isn't my stuff. It has to be ready to go on the first day. That's overwhelming to me so I can imagine.

34. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jul 14, 2008

What a nice story!

35. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

:hugs:

36. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2008

You put a smile on my face...and since it's 1 o'clock in the morning, that is a nice story to fall asleep to! Sweet dreams!

37. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 16, 2008

I was at the teacher store yesterday and thought of your nice story...

38. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

Man, I am going to be in my 4th year of teaching and I still get that way. Sometimes teaching and all of the amazing ideas there are out there can be overwhelming.

39. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

Many people feel that stress. I know I did last summer when I was getting my first room ready---I was fresh out of school and quickly learning that I really wasn't taught much in college to prepare me for school especially decorating the room....It's very hard to get a job in most places and you have the stress of letting people down.....I completely understand why she was so upset!!!