Teacher stalked at work

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Genmai, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Genmai

Genmai Companion

Nov 28, 2010

What can a teacher do if she is being stalked at work? A colleague is dealing with a nasty former workplace bully who has a personal mission to harass his victim by finding where she works, sending the principal, coworkers and everyone else in the building nasty rumors which the bully has been spreading for years and years online.

Last year, my colleague strongly suspects that this degenerate even visited the school, managed to locate a few of her worst students after school and fed them garbage to make her life harder in class by basically encouraging them to be more disrespectful (we teach in an urban school btw). The bully isn't a teacher, lives in a different city and has no connection to the school. The teacher even thinks that the bully encouraged some of the worst behaved ones to take pictures of her via their phones and sent the pictures back to him! The bully isn't violent or dangerous - he is merely an emotionally arrested grownup bully. I'm not sure what the law says about this, and the teacher is too nervous to approach the administrators.

In this wired digital age, it is very easy to stalk teachers, and like with other problems common to teachers, the education system has been woefully inadequate in addressing the problem.

Need advice.

:help:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 28, 2010

I would start with a court order of protection.

Then I would most certainly talk with administration. At the very least, this person is disrupting classes; at worst, it could be a slippery slope from "stalking bully" to "violent."

And if her professional reputation is being harmed, to her administration no less, I don't see that she has any choice but to defend herself.

4. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 28, 2010

It could be considered defamation of character.

Along with cyberstalking/harassment

5. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Nov 29, 2010

There is a very fine line between stalking and violence. I would immeditately involve law enforcement. Also why are students being allowed to take photos of teacher? Several issues need to be dealt with by the teacher. BTW, stalking is illegal.

6. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Nov 29, 2010

Police and adminstration seem like requirements to take care of this problem. It sounds serious. Good luck to your colleague.

7. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Nov 29, 2010

Depending on the state in which you live, protective orders function differently. From my understanding, in some states, you can only get a protective order if the situation is a domestic dispute. Also, some judges will only grant such an order if your life is in danger. But it won't hurt to go talk to someone at the police department about your options. I agree with a previous poster about the defamation issue: you may be able to do something about that.

Before you do anything, notify administrators at your school. They may know the steps you need to take to rectify the situation.

8. BB0211

BB0211 Companion

Nov 29, 2010

Have you ever seen this person? Do you have proof this is going on?

It sounds made up. Do you trust this coworker?

9. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Nov 29, 2010

First thought that went through my mind, too.
    Why wouldn't she contact the police and have a restraining order put out on him? They are pretty common place now-a-days.

The part about "managed to find some of the worst behaved students and convince them to act worse" sounds odd.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 29, 2010

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

11. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Nov 29, 2010

Despite our concerns about the validity, all of us hope that the issue is resolved. And you are certainly in a difficult place--do you question her or help her or should you go to the administration about it? If it's real, what are the safety issues for my school? If it's not, why is she in need of drama and is it affecting the students? You are in a difficult position.

12. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Nov 29, 2010

If it is a genuine complaint, and I will assume it is, there may be more people in serious danger than just your colleague. What we tell students applies here. Get intervention early. Get help from your admin. If this bully is already damaging the reputation, what harm can be done by dealing with admin? Fear paralyzes us unnecessarily. Push to get help.

13. wrice

wrice Habitué

Nov 29, 2010

Strangers approaching students is extraordinarily dangerous and must be investigated and stopped.