Teacher Sign In

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TrademarkTer, Sep 9, 2017.

1. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Sep 9, 2017

Do you have to sign in to work? For the past 15 years we have not had to sign in to work (I haven't been here all 15 of those years, but that's how long the old principal was here). This year we have a brand new principal, and he is instituting a sign-in sheet for teachers. It wouldn't be a big deal except teacher parking is the in the back of the school, and we have to walk all the way to the front of the school to sign in, which can be a nuisance when I have a million things to do before the kids arrive. Our school is large so walking to the front of the school and back takes at least 10 minutes. Additionally, it kind of feels like the message is we can't be trusted to come to work on time, whereas we never had issues with this under the old administration.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2017

No sign in for us.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2017

We don't have to sign in. I would also hate having to do this for the same reasons you mentioned. My time in the morning is limited and I basically have every minute scheduled. If I have to walk across campus just to sign in, it's going to mess up my plans. Arriving to school earlier is not an option because of daycare.

Backroads and WarriorPrncss like this.
  5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 9, 2017

I've had to sign in at two schools where I've worked. I did not have to sign in at the other two schools where I've worked.

I agree that it signals that professionals can't be trusted, but it is necessary for a few who do take advantage. Given that your building is so large (10 minutes plus from one end to other?!?), I'd ask about having sign-in log located near multiple entrances, if possible. That seems like a reasonable compromise.

Backroads and teacherintexas like this.
  6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 9, 2017

This. You shouldn't be punished because of room placement.

7. Sab

Sab Companion

Sep 9, 2017

I have to place a check mark by my name on a sign-in sheet every day, but it's not really a problem because the sheet is right by my mailbox, which I have to check every morning anyways.

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 9, 2017

Salaried employees having to sign in pisses me off. Really, really makes me furious. We don't have contracted hours in my state. You better believe any time weather interferes with instructional time, the district is quick to say that teachers should be doing XYZ during that time, working from home. Multiple Open Houses each year? "It's expected and your hours are based on OUR needs."We are told that we are expected to be at the school from 8-4 each day. But we are at the whim of the district for hours beyond that.

Last year we had a short stint where teachers had to sign into a book kept in the front office by the school's secretary. So she could keep an eye on us. WTH??? I kept my cool but I (and I imagine many other teachers did as well) told my principal that if I had to sign in, I would do it precisely at 8 and I would leave every day at exactly 4. He could take me off of every committee that meets after school. Students could make up their tests in multiple sessions after school because I would be leaving exactly at four. I would not read or answer emails after four. He would have to have someone at the district level to declare that all of the teachers at my school do anything beyond those hours. I was not going to be babysat by the school secretary.

I'm sure he did it to keep track of the slackers. But insulting the rest of us was not the way to approach it. It lasted for just a couple of weeks.

Peregrin5 likes this.
  9. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Sep 9, 2017

I do at my new school because the usual system of moving time cards is not available. I was kinda taken aback at first because I pictured hoards of people trying to sign in and out at the same time but that hasn't been the case. Plus my school is small and my classroom is right near the main office anyways.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2017

Time cards? I don't think I've ever heard of teachers using those.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2017

I've never seen one, never mind use one. The only job I've ever had to sign in and out of was my first job--cashier in a drug store when I was 17.

I should add, our subs do need to sign in and out, as do any visitors to our building.

12. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

Sep 9, 2017

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  13. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 9, 2017

Only our substitute teachers, clinicians and guests have to sign in. I am a consultant for the entire division and I sign in when I arrive at a school, but that is for safety (knowing who is in the building). Any staff member that is on contract in the building does not sign in and out.

10 years ago, when I worked in a daycare, we had to initial our time sheet every day.

14. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Sep 9, 2017

We sign in, but not out. Signing in isn't seen as insulting, just how this site works. Only the front door is open, so the sheet is where we are entering anyway. We are supposed to sign out and back in if we leave during contracted hours, but not everyone does that.

15. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Sep 9, 2017

Everything is not a personal attack. Signing in tells the school who is in the building. If there's an emergency, they have a list of everyone present. I would check what district policies were updated this summer and it may shed some light.

Unless they ask you to scan in digitally with a fingerprint, it is not a tool to keep you honest. I've been in buildings where unfortunately, that honesty check was actually necessary.

Backroads and bella84 like this.
  16. MissyB

MissyB Rookie

Sep 9, 2017

We only sign in for PD sessions that are outside of contract hours so they have a record of our attendance for payroll.

My last district didn't make us sign in but the principal would watch when we came in on the cameras and write up only certain people if they came late. My new district does ask that we are there 15 minutes before the school day officially starts for kids but they trust us as professionals to not have any mandated hours and let us come and go within reasonable times. My school is tiny (only 4 teachers with combo classes) so it is pretty obvious when we're there and when we leave but I only stop in the office to check my mailbox and chat with our amazing secretary as I head to my room.