Teacher shortages in CA

Discussion in 'General Education' started by vivalavida, Oct 4, 2012.

1. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Oct 4, 2012

I went to a meeting last week for prospective credential students at my university. According to the woman who presented about the program, there is a shortage of teachers in CA in the following areas:
    - Special Education
    - English
    - History/Social Science
    - Math
    - Science
    - World Language

Anyone think a few of those sound a little out of place? I'm trying to figure out why I hear there are NO jobs, unless you're considering math/science, but then later hear this? Thoughts?

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2012

Wow.... Can't believe she said that. I would approach her and say, "Yeah, show me!"

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012

Agreed. If you go to Edjoin and just put "teacher" in the search box, you'll get over a thousand results, but the majority of them are temporary, part-time, specialized (like home and hospital teaching), or special ed. It's a shame that the ed schools are still propagating that myth.

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012

I think telling prospective students that verges on fraud. She is trying to get their money under false pretenses.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2012

Viva, I'm serious! You should definitely ask her exactly what school districts have those shortages. And then report to us. :D

7. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Oct 4, 2012

I'll inquire further about where these shortages are because, I too, am curious! HeartDrama, I've PMed you the details :)

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2012

Sure there is.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2012

I am from California and have been hearing that same thing for years. There's no shortage.

10. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Oct 5, 2012

Normally, I would agree with the above.. but the fact of the matter is our district did hire at least one new math teacher.

11. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2012

1 in the second largest school district in the state....or a nearby school district....not a great endorsement of a healthy job market.

12. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Oct 5, 2012

This is complete and utter BS. The "teacher shortage" myth has been out there for a long time and it is not true. Especially in certain areas where there are hundreds of applicants for one job. The context is that this is a place that wants your money and wants you to choose their school so they will tell you anything they think you want to hear.

13. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Oct 5, 2012

Of course they're going to say that. Their jobs depend on enrolling students. People need to step back and realize that universities are basically businesses pushing products, in this case it's degrees.

On that note they have all the proof they need. The federal government posts shortage areas on a yearly basis and I think they also project out a few years. This data is a little old, but here's what the feds had to say about California:

2010-11 & 2011-12
    Agriculture
    Business
    Foreign Languages
    Industrial Arts
    Life and Physical Sciences
    Mathematics/Computer Science
    Special Education (including State
    Special Schools)

Looks like she almost took the list word for word, and maybe the wording has slightly changed going into this year. (Here's the document: http://www.shorter.edu/academics/financial_aid/high_need_teaching_fields_state.pdf)

I've said this a thousand times before and I'll say it again.

There are shortages. It's for specific areas, and it primarily affects urban and rural schools.

There are NO shortages in suburban areas, period. Most of this data refers to schools hours away from major cities, reservation schools, and schools in neighborhoods where a bullet-proof vest is daily attire.

Like it or not, that's the truth, but they can still tell you there are shortages. If you're willing to live/work in the affected areas, that's up to you.

Edit: Here's an article on what rural schools are doing as they're facing shortages. Coming from a rural area, I can attest to this. It's hard to attract teachers, and often those that come leave for greener pastures once they're available.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/03/rural-teacher-shortage-le_n_748597.html Rural teachers.

14. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Oct 14, 2012

I emailed the director about a week ago (she said we could email her with any questions!), and never received a response. Makes this all a little more suspicious.... and it angers me that they would give that kind of information with backing it up!

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 15, 2012

It's pretty much a case of Caveat Emptor.

Her job is not to provide career guidance, it's to fill seats in classrooms. It's not about telling the absolute truth, it's about selling a product-- in this case an education degree from her college. It's not an outright lie because there ARE some urban schools looking for teachers in those areas. It's just not an accurate way to categorize the overall job market.

There is no teacher shortage. In some parts of the country, there hasn't been one for decades.

But it's up to the individual applicant to do the homework and find out the whole picture. You can rest assured that the people selling the product are not going to do it. It's no different from a commercial for a car or any other product-- they'll tell the version of "the truth" that suits their bottom line. It's up to the consumer to do the research.

16. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Oct 15, 2012

LA Unified is actully looking to enroll alernative ed crediential students. And are looken for folks with credentials in special ed all science and forien lang right now so at least in that district in cali there must be a shortage. They sent that email out last week to our program. Maybe that is what the recruiter is refering to. I am pretty sure this is the first time la unified is looking to recruit folks to its alternative cred program in a few years.

17. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Oct 15, 2012

A lot of districts do have the need for math, science, and special education teachers. I would say the claim history and english are in need is not true at all though.

18. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 15, 2012

A few years ago, lots of teachers who were low on the seniority list were told to go back for a math or science authorization. We hired a math teacher this year and there were 8 teachers in line for it--all were laid off teachers! :(

19. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Oct 16, 2012

I think it depends on the district and area. Some areas look harder hit than others. However, if the tax passes I bet schools will start hireing again. I hope. I personally plan to apply both in and out of state when I finish the credential.

How far in cali are you willing to move for a job?

20. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Oct 17, 2012

What are you planning to teach???

21. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Oct 18, 2012

Who me or the poster? When I am done with the program I will be able to teach middle school science and high school earth science and anything else which falls under the CA geoscience catagory.

22. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Oct 18, 2012

There is no shortage. That's a bunch of bull. If that were true then I'd be gainfully employed by now.