Teacher shortage projected for next year in Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Caesar753, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

3. P Chang

P Chang Companion

Dec 31, 2014

As you know from PM, I have no qualms about moving to Vegas to teach. The problem is I am lacking student-teaching, which effectively keeps me from obtaining a teacher certification in Nevada.

However, I notice TFA is mentioned in that article, so now I'm wondering if I should look at alternative means of certification. Perhaps I should contact TFA and see if they can guarantee me a spot in Clark County, NV (I haven't a clue if they do that). Another option might be Troops-To-Teachers, which I'm a member of, but don't need here since I already have a DOE Status of Eligibility here in FL.

Perhaps a phone call to the DOE there in Clark County is in order.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2014

Couldn't hurt.

5. P Chang

P Chang Companion

Dec 31, 2014

Submitted an application with TFA...turns out Las Vegas is an area they supply teachers to. The deadline for the 2015-16 school year is January 30th, so at least I made that. Something better may come along, but at least it's an option.

I'm going to hit up my TTT contact and see what he can tell me about being placed in Vegas.

6. CatfaceMeowmers

CatfaceMeowmers Companion

Jan 1, 2015

Thank you for posting this! I am beginning to think I actually will be able to get a job! Though from what I've read, the actual teaching will be fairly difficult with these shortages - but I am prepared!

I first looked into one semester into my grad program (MAT) TFA but then realized that it wouldn't do me any good.

I definitely will begin the application process to CCSD asap!

Random question, how is the housing market there? Me and my husband will be moving there shortly but haven't really "found" a place.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2015

The city was hit pretty hard in the housing market crash several years ago and hasn't fully recovered yet. There are many houses available in all parts of the city in just about every price range.

8. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 1, 2015

9. P Chang

P Chang Companion

Jan 1, 2015

Thanks...will do that now.

Apparently TFA decides where their teachers teach, as well as what (subject) they teach. Safe to say I probably won't be going that route.

10. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 1, 2015

Also, TFA is selective. You don't just sign up for it. There's an extensive interview process and a low acceptance rate.

11. P Chang

P Chang Companion

Jan 1, 2015

Yes, I read on their website that they select 400 applicants out of about 2,000...or something like that. It's not as though I feel I can afford to be picky, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

12. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jan 2, 2015

Ceasar,

So if I was deemed non-competitive before, once I get my certification straightened out (they gave me one for social studies but forgot to do my sped one) can I apply again?

Just keeping options open....

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2015

You would need to pass a background check. "Non-competitive" usually means that you didn't pass it for whatever reason. Before you apply again, you should try to run background checks on yourself and see what comes up. It's possible that there is an error or something on there that shouldn't be, and once you straighten that out I don't see why you wouldn't be good to reapply.

14. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jan 2, 2015

I already ran three background checks, I knew I would come up clean and I did, so no problems there. The only issue that there could have been is Nevada only gave me a licence for social studies, not SPED, when I brought this up to them they said they would get back to me....that was three months ago.....sigh.

I liked it out there (the location, not the stress nor the hotel) and I would like to have that option in the future.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2015

Contact the NVDoE to check the status of your SpEd license. Once you have that in hand, try applying to CCSD again. If that licensure issue was the problem, I don't see why they wouldn't hire you.

16. CatfaceMeowmers

Jan 4, 2015

I've been checking the NVDoE site everyday to see where they are with applications. Slowly but surely they are getting into November applications. Mine should have been received by the end of December, so I am very hopeful.

I've put off applying to CCSD for now until we move. Still a bit hesitant putting my AR address on the application. I also would like to get my physical AR license before I apply, which hopefully will be coming by the end of the month.

17. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 5, 2015

Our technology teacher went to teach in Vegas. Last year was his last year with us and he was able to get a teaching job over there while interviewing from here (Mexico). Skype is a beautiful thing.

18. CatfaceMeowmers

Jan 5, 2015

Hmm, that sounds like a great idea! I wonder how they dealt with reciprocity and licenses. Perhaps I should go ahead and apply at the school district without my physical license. I didn't even think about Skype for interviews!

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 5, 2015

Since I teach internationally, I know many teachers who have Skyped for interviews when returning to the states, or even to other international schools. I doubt it´s the schools first choice, but when dealing with distance it works!

20. pdcolemanjr

pdcolemanjr New Member

Jan 7, 2015

So I'm wondering..I graduated UNLV..I have a license in both special education and business ... When I got my masters I was told that I needed to long term sub ( i was subbing when working on masters) as there were not open positions.. (this was when they introduced the gen ed to sped program)... I moved away to North Carolina to be with an ailing family member.. There is now no reason for me to be here...but I miss vegas tremendously and still have a lot of friends .... how legitimate are my opportunities.. The one denial..especially after putting in all the time and money for a master's really hurt...

Thoughts?

21. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2015

When did they tell you that there were no openings?

Right now there are currently like 500 open positions, like right this second. I'm certain that many of them are special ed but probably not many in business.

22. pdcolemanjr

pdcolemanjr New Member

Jan 7, 2015

The business license actually came first..I entered CCSD through the ARL progrsm as an English teacher but had zero classroom management skills so I opted to pull out and enter the C & I grad program at UNLV with the intentions of teaching business... I graduated in 2008 and low and behold they cut a lot of business electives and had no jobs... I ended up taking a job working a program like Opportunity Village, (but smaller in Pahrump).. In a short time I was their program manager and ended up working with Pahrump Valley High School on transitions ... This then got me excited about teaching special education... so I went back to UNLV and got mastered up in Sped.. and then ran into that roadblock....so after two failed attempts due to lack of job availability ..it rubbed me the wrong way... especially when I was given the you can sub..story..

Moving coast to coast isn't an easy thing but under the right circumstances I'd be there yesterday.

What is your connection to ccsd?

23. CatfaceMeowmers

Jan 8, 2015

24. Falconeddie1970

Falconeddie1970 Rookie

Jan 9, 2015

Hi everyone, I'm a first time poster, but I've lurked on/off for a few years.

Since becoming a certified teacher (for state of Alabama), it has been a nightmare for me, as far as finding a public school teaching position. I'm certified for elementary (K-6), and the only jobs here in Birmingham (pertaining to education), are all daycare jobs.
    Long story short, anytine there is an open position (be it at a public or private elemtary school), hundreds of certified teachers apply. I followed all the advice given to me (I sub everyday, seek out the principals, and apply to every open position w/in the state), but nothing has worked out. Even the paraprofessional/aide, and long term substitute jobs are extremely difficult to find ,as those jobs always go to people who have connections who help get them in. I've also been told (by other teachers), that because I have a master's degree, I am not, "budget friendly", as my salary would be higher as opposed to a new graduate hire.

My husband and I decided the best way to fix this problem is to leave the state of Alabama. We both decided to relocate to Nevada because he has family out west, and because I have heard for years that there are more teaching positions in Nevada.
    I applied and received a temporary NV teaching certificate (under the agreement that I take three exams that pertain to their state laws, by 2017), and we will be moving out there at the end of this month.

My plan is to apply to do substitute teaching, with the hope of landing some interviews for a f/t teaching position in Clark County for the 2015-16 school year.
    I am feeling very nervous lately, and most of that stems from how bad it has been for me here in Alabama. Moreover, even though I have read articles online about Nevada hiring more teachers, it has gotten to the point where I am having difficulty in believing them.
    If anyone here happens to teach in Nevada (or knows the true situation), I would greatly appreciate any information or advice.

25. CatfaceMeowmers

Jan 9, 2015

Oh wow. I didn't know you could get a temp license. Did you go through the license process and they told you that? How did that work? I will have my AR license once they get it through and I have applied to get a NV license.

This was my plan as well. There are very few teaching jobs in AR that higher MAT grads (especially in the town that I graduated from for some reason) and we have decided to move as well. We decided NV because my husbands family lives in CA.

I have applied already for the CCSD and applied for a few jobs already. From what I've read and heard, they do need teachers desperately but I'm still worried that I won't be able to get one.

Good luck moving Falconeddie1970! May the teaching odds be ever in our favor!

26. Falconeddie1970

Falconeddie1970 Rookie

Jan 9, 2015

27. pdcolemanjr

pdcolemanjr New Member

Jan 9, 2015

Though in subbing everyday you do get to know the principals secretary ...which many times matters more than that.. When you sub at a school and your offered a job for the next day when you check out... your making an impact...

As for CCSd.. you need to first pass an interview with HR.. a panel interviews you and it's a one shot deal... If you pass then you go into a teacher pool and pretty much smooth sailing from there. .Once a principal finds you for an open Jon ..your essentially hired..since if your not..literally any random person with a sub license can take the gig long term... so the biggest challenge with ccsd is getting invited to panel interview..then passing interview and then hoping jobs are available..

The first time with business I did steps 1 and 2 easily ..but no jobs were in the pool... The 2nd time after my sped masters.. I could not even get to the interview stage and was told I needed to s u b longer..

Subbing in CCSD is 110 bucks a day.. so I was able to sustain a decent living subbing ..but I did it everyday..

28. CatfaceMeowmers

Jan 9, 2015

I applied online at their website and finally finished the application after multiple emails saying I had incomplete sections. Right after I finished it, I applied for 6 jobs online. I do not think I will necessarily get the jobs, but it was worth a try.

I have no heard anything yet.

I also applied for a sub job, so I'm hoping that goes through.

I thought I read subbing in CCSD was only $75 a day? $110 sounds a lot better though :)

29. CatfaceMeowmers

30. CatfaceMeowmers

Jan 9, 2015

31. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2015

32. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 10, 2015

As long as you have the license and meet other requirements, it's pretty certain that you'll be hired I think. CCSD just wants licensed teachers.

33. CatfaceMeowmers

Jan 10, 2015

That makes sense. I just looked at the calendar for the different schools.

34. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2015

Falconeddie1970, I'm trying to respond to your PM but your inbox is full.