Teacher Shortage in Hawaii?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by SCTeacher23, Jun 30, 2016.

1. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jun 30, 2016

Yes, but the reason they have such high turnover is the unbelievably high cost of living in Hawaii. You can't afford to live in Hawaii on what they pay their teachers, so unless your spouse gets a fabulous job there, you end up living in terrible areas/neighborhoods and having to work a second job.

teacherpippi and waterfall like this.
  4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2016

Yes, I agree with RainStorm. I taught in Hawaii for 4 years. I loved the school I was at for 3 years, but I made $10,000 less than I make now. And cost of living is much lower where I live now: our 2 bedroom townhouse in Hawaii was over $2,000 a month. The 3 bedroom house I used to rent here was $625 a month. Teachers either have to be married to someone with a good job or have a roommate to afford to live there. Many teachers I knew had a second job. My husband was in the military, which was the reason why I taught there.

Also, my first school was extremely tough. I would not want to teach there again, and I believe those are the type of areas that need teachers the most.

5. IloveSF

IloveSF Rookie

Jul 1, 2016

I have had way too many people post this to my FB wall. Apparently they have never been to Hawaii. I've been there on vacation several times, and if you're in the resort areas, it's nice. That's NOT where you would be living on $35K a year. Especially when milk is like $7/gallon and gas is double what it is in the Midwest.

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2016

Teachers also get paid much more there. I lived on the military base in Hawaii, so $2100 was cheap compared to off base locations.

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 3, 2016

Right, it's all about the salary vs. the COL. That's what people don't understand about where I live. Yes, there are many cities that are more expensive, but teachers make more in those cities. I currently pay almost $1300 for a 1 bedroom. In my hometown based on a similar type of location and quality of apartment, I could find something for around $500-700 and teachers in my hometown make more than I do here!

8. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 3, 2016

Well, San Francisco isn't really manageable on a teacher's salary either.

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 3, 2016

That's for sure. The Bay Area actually pays pretty terribly for their cost of living.

Sometimes salaries look a lot higher than they are because of the area's COL. In most major metropolitan areas in CA, there's no way you're buying a house on a single teacher's salary.

That said, I have heard Hawaii is exceptionally terrible for salary vs. COL.

anon55 likes this.
  10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2016

I agree. I think teacher salary is way too low in most areas!

anon55 likes this.
  11. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 4, 2016

I made around $44,000-$45,000 as an 8th year teacher with a Master's degree in Hawaii.