Teacher saves 12-year-old from predator

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Missy99, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jan 25, 2009

"The investigation began when the boy's teacher...caught him sending text messages on his BlackBerry during class...[a]larmed by what she read, the teacher reported the incident to school authorities, who notified police.

"The teacher saved that kid," Spurger said. "She stepped up to the plate and took care of business."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6229743.html

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 25, 2009

Thank GOD for that teacher!!!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 25, 2009

I agree with one of the comments made that finally a teacher makes the news for GOOD reasons. Great save by the teacher's part. I still question why the boy had a blackberry. And this is why it is so important for parents to be aware of what their child is doing online

5. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jan 25, 2009

No kidding -- I think she went above and beyond by investigating and then reporting, instead of just telling the student to put the phone away.

6. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Jan 25, 2009

I question the blackberry for a kid as well - but then again they have iphones so...

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 25, 2009

Thank God for that teacher! Parents need to really stay on top of what their kids are up to. This means checking through every inch of their rooms when the kid's gone, being involved in their kid's life, & definitely keeping the lines of communication OPEN so the kid knows that they can come to their parents about ANYTHING.

I personally never liked MySpace. I wish they'd shut the whole thing down permanently & all other sites like it. It's just no good. I'm an adult & I don't have a use for it. I could care less about it.

8. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 26, 2009

it's a good thing that kid had his blackberry in school, otherwise it could have gone unnoticed!

(Not that I'm saying kids should have blackberries in school)

9. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Jan 26, 2009

I'm glad the teacher caught it so please don't take this comment the wrong way.....I just can't help but think....I'd be in trouble if I read text messages on a phone I took from a student......I've taken at least a half dozen this year and always turn the over to the AP.

10. ctmem

ctmem Rookie

Jan 26, 2009

Thanks for the news story. I like good news about teachers; I get so tired of hearing how bad we are in the news.

It was refreshing. Thanks!

11. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Jan 26, 2009

I was thinking the exact same thing. We are not allowed to read texts when we pick up a phone, notes when we intercept them in class, etc. It is considered "violation of privacy."

That said, it's nice that this story had a good ending.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2009

I agree that the teacher probably shouldn't have read the texts, but let's just say (for argument's sake) that the text message screen was still up, that the student hadn't had time to close it out, and the teacher saw something there that led her to look deeper. That's what I was thinking happened when I read the story.

13. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jan 26, 2009

What the heck was a middleschooler doing with a blackberry? I thank God for teachers liker her and pray I can be a teacher like that. I am only 22 but did not have my first cell phone till 9th grade and even then it was the very basic phone out there and was for emergency use only to call my parents. My parents also looked at the bill. I would not have had texting on there plan either.

14. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jan 26, 2009

man, I'm 22 and I didn't get my first cell phone until I was 18 and got stranded at college. I STILL don't have a phone that can access the internet.

15. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jan 27, 2009

I have never had a phone with internet. If it were not for my cell I would not get sub jobs. I do not have a landline.