Teacher Salary Schedules

Discussion in 'General Education' started by markinca, Aug 1, 2013.

1. markinca

markinca Rookie

Aug 1, 2013

Hi, I had a bit of a newbie question that I can't seem to find the answer to on google.

I understand what BA only, BA+15, BA+30, MA, MA+30, etc mean on salary schedules, but what I don't understand is what exactly is counted in those units.

If I have a bachelors and my teaching credential, is that all counted under BA? Or do the units I've completed for the credential count as those '+' units? And if those credential units DO count as '+' units, then why is there even a 'BA only' column to begin with? I thought all teachers needed to have a credential?

Thanks!

3. curiouslystrong

curiouslystrong Companion

Aug 1, 2013

I think the '+' units are meant to designate graduate credit hours you've earned beyond your Bachelor's degree.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2013

The units toward credential don't count. In most cases, you'll have to have classes approved BEFORE taking them for credit on the salary guide, but this can vary by school district. Also 'what counts' varies by district/state. Also when starting in a new district ( which I'm thinking you might be OP...you spoke of having worked in 3 different schools when you posted in 2010), the new district might give you credit for your education level but not plus credits.

5. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Aug 1, 2013

It's graduate hours beyond your BA. Each state is different in their licensure. In Iowa, my BA is in Elementary Education and within that BA is where I worked towards my 4 endorsement areas (Reading, Early Childhood, Early Childhood Sped, and Gen. Ed.).

The classes we can take to renew our license count as hours beyond if you pay for the graduate credit. I've had my +12 for the last three years. I'll move to +24 this fall because I'm working on my MA.

6. kab164

kab164 Companion

Aug 1, 2013

At my school B+ is professional certification which is 18 credits and 3 years experience. M+ is a masters plus 18 additional credits

7. markinca

markinca Rookie

Aug 1, 2013

Hmm, thanks for the info - the reason I'm asking this question isn't even for me - but a friend of mine who will be starting her first year of teaching and isn't sure how those steps work, so she asked me... and I don't really know either haha

I think at my current school my credential units do count - either that, or they're pulling +30 units from somewhere that I'm unaware of. I got my BS at one school but I got my credential at a different university, and all the classes I took there were classified as graduate level courses on my transcript.

8. markinca

markinca Rookie

Aug 1, 2013

I think I know what's going on now - I think if you get your credential while you're pursuing your BA, then those credential units won't count as extra. But if you got your BA first, then afterwards got your credential, those credential units would count as additional units... does that sound right?

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2013

Not in my district. Credits must be pre approved. I'm surprised you don't know how it works in your own district. How long have you been there?

10. markinca

markinca Rookie

Aug 1, 2013

well i've been for 5 years, but since i was at the highest BA step, i never questioned it... but now that my friend is asking me, and i'm currently finishing my masters, i figured it'd be good to find out

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2013

Have you been putting in for BA plus credits during your masters?

12. markinca

markinca Rookie

Aug 1, 2013

no, since i'm already maxed out BA-wise.. we have BA, BA+15, BA+30, MA, and MA+20, and I'm currently at BA+30, so there's nowhere else for me to go until my MA is completed.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2013

Depending on your district, this could be the case. It could also depend on how your college transcripts look. One of my coworkers started her first year teaching here with a BA+16. Turns out her university had considered her degree conferred prior to her student teaching semesters, so her student teaching credit hours all counted as post-bacc units on our pay scale.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2013

So you've put in and gotten the plus 30 credits. What was it you didn't understand then?

15. markinca

markinca Rookie

Aug 1, 2013

my question was that if i'm at BA+30 having just a BA and my credential, then why is there a BA-only column at all, since to be teaching you'd ostensibly already have your credential and the +30.

What I found (and what Caesar753 confirmed) is that you may or may not get + units for your credential, depending on whether you obtained your credential before or after you got your bachelors.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2013

So your school hires teachers with a BA and no credential?

17. markinca

markinca Rookie

Aug 1, 2013

no, you need a credential to work at my school, but whether you get +30 or not depends on when you got the credential.

If you're like me and got a BA, then went off to work in industry somewhere, and decided later to become a teacher and got your credential, you'd be paid under the BA+30 step.

If you went to college knowing you'd be going into teaching and got your credential classes done as a part of your BA, you would be paid under only the 'BA' step.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2013

Doesn't seem like they respect teachers pd so much.:2cents:

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 1, 2013

We don't have credits.

It's just BA, MA, Rank I, and PhD.

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 1, 2013

Each state is different. Since you're in CA, any units beyond a BA (which includes units you take in the credential program) count as "+" units.

21. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 1, 2013

This is 100% correct (here in CA, that is)! :thumb:

22. futureteach24

futureteach24 Companion

Aug 1, 2013

depends

I think it depends on your situation. I completed my BA before starting a graduate certification program. My job counted the classes towards my Master's (some of which went to certification) but did not count the classes that were for certification only. Therefore, I am BA+15 and can only move up to the next level when I get my masters, even though I have additional credits.