Teacher retirement

Discussion in 'General Education' started by substitute_stev, Jan 6, 2024.

1. substitute_stev

substitute_stev Rookie

Jan 6, 2024

Ive been a sub and full time teacher.
    Let me understand this.....
    In Ohio, teachers don't pay into social security, teachers have their social security benefits reduced once they are vested in STRS retirement, you pay roughly 20k out of pocket to get a masters degree, credentials, and licensure, then Im paid a low salary on top of it all.

Teachers essentially work for free.

3. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Cohort

Jan 7, 2024

Yes, but you could always be in Illinois! At least OPERS/STRS is in better shape than most. 80-some-odd% funded last number I remember seeing. I wouldn't teach back in IL now that I know most places don't make you pay into SS while being ineligible to receive unless you work enough private sector quarters to qualify. IL keeps pushing back the minimum age for benefits and had a criminal governor embezzle from TRS. My MIL lost quite a bit of money from that.
    My beef with OH is how difficult they make transferring an OoS license and needing to have a sub license sponsored by a district/agency. Oh, and RITA. IL is better at corn and taxes. This'll be the first year I can file OH taxes online because of the OH|ID merger. When I moved here I couldn't file online because I'd never filed online. Rinse and repeat the next year. . .

4. substitute_stev

substitute_stev Rookie

Jan 7, 2024

Lol...I'm from Illinois. Now live in Ohio.
    Ohio has at least a lower COL and you don't pay high taxes. But I do miss my Illinois roots. Which state is better to teach in? Apples vs Oranges.‍♂️