teacher resume tip...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by awaxler, Jun 14, 2007.

1. awaxler

awaxler Comrade

Jun 14, 2007

3. shouts

shouts Companion

Jun 14, 2007

I disagree with this tip. If there are multiple positions available you don't want to pigeonhole yourself. Leave your objectives to the cover letter.

4. cjven

cjven Rookie

Jun 14, 2007

I would have to agree shouts!

5. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Jun 14, 2007

I agree that this might not be the best tip if you were submitting your resume to just one person in the district. However, what if you were submitting your resume to different principals in the district and each principal had only one position open at their respective schools?

6. shouts

shouts Companion

Jun 14, 2007

The thing is that the openings at schools around here are fairly fluid. It might be a 6th grade LA opening, but someone might express interest internally and it turn into a 5th grade position! I think flexibility is a valuable asset.

7. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 14, 2007

Where in NJ are you?

8. shouts

shouts Companion

Jun 14, 2007

Bridgewater, but I'm looking to move up...

9. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 14, 2007

Move up to where? How do you like the district...it's quite big isn't it?

10. shouts

shouts Companion

Jun 14, 2007

Hate the district. It's fairly large, but there's a new super, new supervisors, too much paperwork, our budget didn't pass (resulting in dire consequences for support staff).

Looking for a middle school position.

Where are you?

11. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jun 14, 2007

In some ways, I do agree. I was looking at resumes today for an assistant teacher position. One's objective was: "An HR or administrative position." Where did the resume go? To the "not interested" pile. Geez, she couldn't even bother to go in & edit it for the specific position... it would have taken 30 seconds. Obviously, she wasn't all that interested in us.

12. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 14, 2007

Wow, I have applied there and never got called, but I never heard anything about it one way or another. Didn't know about the budget either. Then again, I was shying away from that district anyway. I take it you're certified for middle school...or did you say 5th grade?

13. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 14, 2007

In that case, I can understand your point. But as far as an eled teacher is concerned, I would hesitate to put a grade level in my objective so it gives you some flexibility. Especially when you have experience in more than one grade.

14. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Jun 14, 2007

Well it sounds like the general consensus is that this might not be the best idea. I hope that I didn't mess up then, because I used it today.

There is a district that I applied to that has two open positions (one first grade and one third grade) at two different schools. I sent my resume to each principal with the objective personalized to the grade open at their respective schools. I figured this would be alright since there is only one spot open at each of the schools.

Did I mess up by doing this? :eek:

15. awaxler

awaxler Comrade

Jun 15, 2007

S Dubb,

You did the right thing...especially with the circumstances.

If the ad/posting (or inside info) you are responding to is grade specific so should your resume's objective.

If the school posts a position for a 3rd grade el. ed. teacher then your resume's objective should absolutely be grade specific.

Could you imagine someone applying to one of Trump's companies and have a vague objective in their resume?

I don't think many of you are looking at this from the interview committee perspective.

Yes, you want to show flexibility, but if the the position you want is a 3rd grade el. ed. position and that is the position that is posted then go for it!

The school is looking for applicants to teach 3rd grade.

During the interview they may ask if you would be willing to teach other grade levels, which of course you would say "yes"...

Bottom line...you need to make your resume stand out...that was the whole point of the article and that you should NOT just state the position you are searching for, but 1-2 sentences why you would be a great fit for that position (look at the difference between the two examples in the article).

Even if you leave out the specific grade you should still add the rest...although I strongly recommend adding the specific grade level.

I've had to read thousands of resumes and it definitely helps you stand out.

16. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 15, 2007

What about the cover letter? I always put the specified position in that. I thought that's where you want to be specific.

17. shouts

shouts Companion

Jun 15, 2007

I've gotten plenty of calls for jobs I didn't apply for, probably aided by NOT having a specific objective. I think there's better ways to stand out : experience, specific notable achievements rather than generic descriptions, etc.

With schools around here getting 400 resumes per position I not only want to stand out, but avoid any reason to be put in the do not interview pile. What has gotten me many interviews is my cover letter; administrators are usually reading the resume during the interview!

Not to mention many place around here are no longer advertising specific grade levels, saying "elementary" or "middle school special education", etc.