Teacher rattles desk. Gets suspended.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sarge, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 2, 2011

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 2, 2011

No more bottle rockets? :(

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2011

Puke.

5. Mark94544

Mark94544 Companion

Mar 2, 2011

As usual, we haven't heard what the teacher said about this incident. It seems likely that the student's call to 911 was an overreaction (or perhaps even intended as a distraction, or maybe even to force the teacher's suspension due to a poorly-worded district policy). Of course, it's also possible that the teacher really did act improperly.

I've lightly knocked on desks, and occasionally even gently bumped a desk (intentionally) while walking around the classroom, to get a student's attention. It can be a very effective non-verbal way to get one student's attention without interrupting other classroom activity.

Pounding on the desk, or violently shaking a desk, would be a completely different thing. In this case, we just don't know what actually happened, and it sounds like this particular district has an absolute policy requiring suspension of a teacher if police respond to a complaint, pending an investigation, even if it's apparent that the call was frivolous.

6. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Mar 2, 2011

That's really weird. I wish the article had given a little more information on whether it was just a rigid interpretation of written policy, a demand by the parents, or just a decision by administration.

Any of them would be poor reasons to suspend the teacher, of course. Within the school, I'd perhaps be most concerned about it just being rigid interpretation of a standard written policy. If it is, then students know all they need to do to get a teacher suspended temporarily is to get the police to respond. Police pretty much have to respond (they get pretty wide latitude on what to do once they get there, but they can't just not show up) to anything potentially illegal. They may learn to start weeding out terrible calls, but students could make up some stuff fairly quickly, calling anonymously and claiming all sorts of things.

I suppose they could implement procedures like calling the main office of a school before actually making an appearance, but that could lead to other issues (if the call was legitimate and after school hours when the office was closed/not responding, for example, it might prevent or delay police from responding when someone really needed it).

ETA:
    Yeah, I think that's likely, and if so the policy should be changed.

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 2, 2011

So, I wonder if the student went to the bathroom and called, or right in front of the teacher? I know they can be sneaky, but a phone call to 911? Wouldn't you have to speak up a little?

8. AKPuffin

AKPuffin Rookie

Mar 2, 2011

Why did the student have a cell phone in class to begin with? If the female student felt it was necessary to phone police because she was "startled" maybe her parents need to put her on anti-anxiety medication. I can understand telling the principal if the teacher threw a desk across the room to get his student's attention, but calling the police because of the rattling of a desk, seriously?

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 2, 2011

If I read correctly, the teacher is only on leave because the police were involved, not because of his actions.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 2, 2011

I wish there were more details. I can see several different scenarios happening here. On the one hand, the student could have been making a big deal out of nothing. On the other hand, it's also possible that the teacher was out of line and used the desk-rattling as an intimidation technique.

I had a sixth grade teacher who would throw erasers at students whenever they did anything bad. These were those extra long, tan erasers that had a foamy side and a kind of leathery side. The teacher also screamed, literally screamed at students when he was angry. It was very scary. I never told anyone about it because I just thought that that's what happened when you got to The Sixth Grade, but looking back I wish I would have reported him.

11. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Mar 2, 2011

The part of the story that bothered me is that the rest of the students were not scared...that suggests that there might be a story behind the story. And where was the student when they called? Some 911 are now accepting texts.

12. HMM

HMM Cohort

13. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 2, 2011

Pathetic.

14. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Mar 2, 2011

It's only going to get worse. Don't kid yourselves.

In twenty years you won't be able to raise your voice in the classroom.

You won't be allowed to have any physical contact (handshake, pat on the back).

It's sad. I'm still going to school for SPED and working as a para, but I've decided to start putting my application out in the corporate world.

I don't think I'll be able to handle being a sponge for abuse with no recourse.

15. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Mar 2, 2011

Well, that sure showed those kids who's in charge didn't it? I bet that teacher won't be stupid enough to assert his authority again. If he dared, someone need only whip out a cell phone and report that they feel threatened and the police will come and take him away.