Teacher portfolio?

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by Dalrose, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Dalrose

Dalrose Rookie

Aug 22, 2004

I have an interview on Monday for a teaching position and they told me to bring a portfolio if I have any. I am interviewing for a K/1st combo class. My only teaching experience was with middle school for a year where I realized I wanted to give teaching younger students a try. Here are my questions:
    1. What do they mean by portfolio?
    2. What can I expect in a k/1st combo class?

Tahnks in advance for your help? I'm really nervous about this interview!

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 22, 2004

Do a search here on the forums for "portfolio." There are lots of good ideas... but basically, she means bring along lesson plans you've done, pictures of working with students, things like that.

4. AndreaIL

AndreaIL Rookie

Aug 22, 2004

I'm surprised your university didn't cover this while you were still in school. A portfolio is a collection of different items that show who you are as a teacher, usually arranged in some sort of folder or binder. It contains things like your resume, copies of your license, your teaching philosophy, your views on discipline, examples of lesson plans and work you did while student teaching, letters of recommendation, and maybe some photos of you with your students. I'm surprised that your principal asked for it. On all the interviews I went on, I had to offer the portfolio, and they seemed to look at it briefly, only to be polite. That seems to be the experience with many teachers I know. Still, just in case, it's more comforting not to go in empty-handed.

5. smileyd

smileyd Comrade

Aug 22, 2004

Use your portfolio the during interview!

During my certification program this year, we had to do portfolios as our final exam in several of our classes to show that we met all the requirements (outcomes!) for the class.

One major piece of advice I'm holding onto until I start interviewing after my practicum, is to use the portfolio during the interview! When they ask you a question about say for example, how would you integrate two subjects , use your index to flip easily to your best lesson plan that matches that requirement, and use it to strengthen your case.

On one website, I can't remember which one, it might even have been this one, I read that you should creatively devide your portfolio in sections, and label the sections posssibly with educational quotes. This is just dressing, but I think it makes it look like you really care about your portfolio.
    Good luck!

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 22, 2004

smiley, I got that idea from a post here a while back, and I did that...

my sections are "qualified, reliable, approachable, responsive, creative, flexible, studious, caring"... on each set of dividers, I put several quotes that either I liked and/or actually fit with the idea... I have colored divider tabs, so I backed each set of typed quotes with scrapbooking paper that matches fairly closely to the divider color... just wanted to make it look like I'd spent some time on it. :)