Teacher Planner

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teacher Chele, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 7, 2015

What do you put in your Teacher Planner? Do you prefer a 3 ring binder or do you have it bound?

3. Rox

Rox Cohort

Jul 7, 2015

I keep it in an excel file. This makes it easy for me to copy items I didn't finish today and paste it in tomorrow's plans. It also makes it easier to add things that occur weekly (library, etc.). I keep it open on another desktop on the Mac, so that any time an administrator wants to see it, I can show them quickly.

4. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Jul 7, 2015

I use a "packaged" plan book. This one, specifically:

http://www.reallygreattoys.com/product/20727/the-ultimate-teachers-plan-book

However, I was told last month that The Mailbox has quit making them. I purchased the only two the teacher store had left. I have been thinking about what I'll do when both are gone. I have really, really liked using this plan book.

I really like the idea of making up my own pages and keeping them in a three ring binder. My mentor teacher during my student teaching made her own, and I think it worked well.
    Sheilah

5. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 7, 2015

6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 7, 2015

Eiffel, I like that a lot!

My personal favorite is the Green Plan Book. It gives me the space I need to actually plan.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2015

I vote for keeping it on the computer. I keep a copy at my work desktop, a copy at home, and it translates well from one year to the next. I have to write plans for varied courses within the same classroom, so in one class I could have bio, physics, Earth science, environmental science, and physical science. I will gladly take my computer-based plans over a real book, since it facilitates modifying and saving for the following year.

8. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 7, 2015

1. I love TPT!
    2. I love this planner! And the fact that she updates it every year so you can redownload without repurchasing! She is awesome! What a great find!

9. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 7, 2015

Do you think you could take pictures of the inside? Amazon only shows the front cover :(
    Please & thank you :D

10. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 7, 2015

And the nice thing is there are so many options of which layout you want to use to best suit your needs. I always have a hard time finding a planner that is "just right" for my needs and I feel like I might have finally found one.

11. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Jul 7, 2015

I've been thinking about splurging and buying an Erin Condren teacher planner. Even though I don't have my own classroom yet, the power of positive thinking and planning as if I have one has to count for something, doesn't it?

12. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2015

I use an inexpensive teacher plan book from Office Depot, but instead of using it as a weekly calendar, I write in the dates and make each two-page spread into a month (or more.) That way I can use the same planner for 4 years, and it's easy to look back at the previous years to check my pacing. I divide the squares in two for my two different preps. It's worked well for me since I don't include a lot of detail, and there's room at the left side and along the bottom if I need to make extra notes.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2015

I create templates in Word for daily and weekly plans; I use a 3" binder.

14. whollyconsumed

whollyconsumed Companion

Jul 7, 2015

I have always used a 3 ring binder, because in my district we are given templates often.

15. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 7, 2015

Can you take a picture as well, please?? I can't picture it!
    I'm a visual person and I like (literally) seeing all my options!
    I love planners, even if I don't need one. I've had one since I was a middle school student :)
    I'm also cheap, so the fact that you use one for 4 years is :thumb:

16. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 7, 2015

Alas, not at this time: my school is closed up for cleaning, but I am awaiting the arrival of my new copy in the mail, so I'll show an example when it comes. I like the planner as it gives 2 full pages per week, lots of room.

17. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jul 7, 2015

Previously, I've just made my own lesson plan templates and typed them online, then printed and put in a three ring binder. This year, I bought an Erin Condren to try out. I will still type my lessons but I found a template to print on post its that fit the EC teacher planner.

18. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2015

I bought the same one but instead of putting it in a binder, I put it in a Discbound system so it will lay flat like my Erin Condren did.
    http://www.cleanmama.net/2013/10/how-to-make-a-discbound-planner-a-staples-giveaway.html

19. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 7, 2015

I love the idea of planning on a computer, but I find I can't! I think that's one area I must be tactile.

20. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 7, 2015

I thought about binding mine that way, but then I saw glitter tab dividers in the back-to-school section at Target last week and just had to have those, which meant I had to put my planner in a 3-ring binder. I'm obsessed with all things glitter. :)

21. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 8, 2015

Staples will bind it with your dividers in it. I've done it for a couple of years now. I may have to look for those glitter dividers!

22. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 8, 2015

I don't get why that is so expensive? I just bought the one from Uncalendar (first bought the package from TPT; then realized it is too much work for me to organize/print out). The Uncalendar is $25 including shipping--I feel like that is too much, and wouldn't buy it if I wasn't reimbursed. Supposed to receive it soon.

23. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2015

I'll see if I can find it...and then see if I can figure out how to upload a picture! :p

24. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2015

25. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 9, 2015

ohh genius! I like seeing the entire month as opposed to weekly/daily. Thanks!

26. novaguy1968

novaguy1968 MS English Educator

Jul 10, 2015

If you like the computer route, you might try planbook.com; it's relatively inexpensive and has some useful features, probably the best being you can track which standards you have taught and how often.

27. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 27, 2015

I've always used Continental Teacher's Plan Book. It is versatile enough, shows a week at a time, there is enough room for my fairly detailed plans. Our new attendance/gradebook program offers a planning option as well, but I didn't like it. I'm hoping the district doesn't start requiring that we use it.

28. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2015

I never write a physical lesson plan since we have to upload them online, but I will always vouch for buying anything from EC - I love them!!! I have a ton of their notebooks and planners and while their stuff may be pricey - they are sooo cute!

29. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 28, 2015

Eiffel, I'm intrigued by the TPT planner, but it's 606 pages! Did you print them out on your own, or pick and choose?

I'm wondering how expensive it would be to have a printer (like Kinko's, Staples, etc. print the file on 32 lb paper). Yes, it may cost money, but when one thinks of time and cost of ink, etc...

30. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2015

Hand made in the USA and semi-customizable.

31. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Jul 28, 2015

32. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jul 28, 2015

I made my own planner this year. I can never find a good planner that is aimed towards teachers with just one prep. So, I made my own layout that I liked and printed out enough pages for the year. I also included some notes pages, and created a pretty cover that I laminated. I had it bound at Office Max for $3.50. It turned out great!

33. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 28, 2015

I design my own pages in Word and put them in a 3-ring binder. I have a 1/2 inch one for grades, a 1 inch one for curriculum documents, and a 1.5 inch one for other school documents like PD logs, non-instructional logs, calendar, schedules, etc.

I tried putting it all in one binder, but it was too big of a hassle. I like having the smaller ones. I don't ever take it home anyway, so it's easy to have them separate on the shelf behind my desk.

34. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 28, 2015

I currently use Evernote with a personally created template as my planner.

What I like about it is that I can just copy a "note" from week to week. I also can share each note on the classroom website, so families can see what the assignments are, when tests are coming up, etc.

I've also started scanning in assignments (Fujitsu ScanSnap s1300i) and placing relevant assignments on the bottom of each schedule as PDF files.

This has been such a time-saver. I'm no longer answering emails of "Please send home any work my child missed while they're absent." The families just print out the PDF file and the student completes it at home.

Yes, initially it takes some time to scan the assignments, but once saved, I just grab them for the following year(s).

35. BreezyGirl

BreezyGirl Companion

Jul 28, 2015

I use a 3 ring binder as we are required to always have a day plan filled out in case we are away the following day. I use this binder for my day plans which I create my own. I create a table with the times and names of subjects... I leave a space to write in what I will be doing during these times.

I also include extra class lists and contact information. The binder stays open on my desk at all times.

36. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Aug 5, 2015

How do you all edit from TPT?

I don't have the full version of Adobe as I never use it for editing just viewing things.

No other site works decently for me. I don't buy that much stuff for editing either. I bought a set of labels/word wall/etc and there were a lot of blank ones to edit and fill in myself but I can't.

37. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 5, 2015

Plum Paper!! Not cheap, but very nice. It takes about a month from the order date to delivery because it's custom made.

38. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2015

Just a couple of suggestions. If you don't have the capability to use Adobe, move your template/images out of Adobe be creatively utilizing the snipping tool, Publisher, Powerpoint, etc. I occasionally download a PDF file that won't let me use the template feature. Not a problem. By using screen shot or the snipping tool, I can extract the document and utilize it as a JPED in Publisher or whatever program that will handle pictures. At that point, you now have full use of the image, which you paid for, and you can utilize it as you wish.

All of this said, I would definitely reach out to the seller and request a word document if you are having issues utilizing the template. You are paying them to use the product, and I know that I tend to save virtually everything as both the word and pdf format, since there are perks to both. I may save and share the pdf file for ease of transfer, but the word document is also on my computer, which allows me to easily manipulate the different elements of the template or image.

Reach out to the seller on TPT and see if they have another format of the file, or get creative and utilize what you do have to recreate the file you bought. I'm not a tech wizard, but I am really good at finding creative solutions working with the same info in different formats.

Good luck.

39. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Aug 5, 2015

I'm currently waiting on a planner from Plum Paper. Really excited to see it!