Teacher Plan Book

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by LindsayRose, Jul 13, 2010.

1. LindsayRose

LindsayRose Rookie

Jul 13, 2010

Hi all!

What do you use for your plan book? Do you order one? If so, which one? I'm a weirdo when it comes to plan books, I need just the right one. ;)

I was thinking about making my own, but I'm not sure if I want to.

I write LARGE and I need one with a lot of space. :)

THANKS!

3. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Jul 13, 2010

i'm also torn with this. i'm a very tech savvy person and i love my laptop and Word and Excel and always think that doing my plans online would be best......... BUT there's something about handwriting my lessons, it always sucks me in. i too am very picky about my plan book. i found the best plan book at Walmart of all places... the brand is Mead and it has lots of sections, and i love the way it's laid out. it's a plan book and grade book. it was $4.

4. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

Jul 13, 2010

I make my own in word...it works better because I make our daily schedule and give myself enough room to write what I need. I also write a lot of plans on small post-its so I can move them to another day if needed.

5. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 13, 2010

I have never found a lesson plan book that fits my needs so I just made my own template in Word. I print them out each week and put them in a binder.

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2010

I use the computer and design my own. Then I add in and save the things that come up all the time. (specials, snack, etc)

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2010

This is what I do as well--I can custom-size the sections to suit my needs.

8. Loves the beach

Loves the beach Companion

Jul 13, 2010

Can someone please give an example of what these templates look like? Also, are the binders something a sub could follow, if needed?

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2010

I have one page/day. My table has 3 columns:
    - the left column has the Period number, the start and end time of the period, the subject and the grade/room number (e.g. Period 1, 8:05 - 8:45, Grade 5 Math, Room 218). In the centre column (the widest), I write my lesson plan for the period/subject. I don't write full plans, but there is enough detail for someone else to follow in a pinch. In the right column, I make note of accommodations and modifications needed by specific students (e.g. C and V listen to reading selection at listening centre instead of reading independently).

10. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 13, 2010

I make my own. I create a template with the "normal" schedule and plenty of space to write in the actual plans. I keep them all in a binder along with any worksheets (I get one extra copy) or other handouts/field trip reminders, etc. that I need for the week. It works great, and the addition of the worksheets, etc. helps immensly from year to year.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2010

I use the combination Continental Class Record and Plan book

(Combination RP-110)

I love having everyting in the same spot.

The grade book allows up to 45 kids per class.

I've been using it for years, and have several other teachers hooked on it as well.

http://www.continentalpress.com/pages/products/90.html

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 13, 2010

I make a template in word, too. It's so easy to switch my schedule around, and change times. I tried using a book my first year, but I'm a perfectionist and every time I wanted to change something the scribbles bothered me!

13. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 13, 2010

I make my own. I am very specific in my lesson plans as far as recess, etc. so that it's easy for a sub to know what to do. I just type everything up and then print off and pencil in the actual lesson plans each week.

14. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2010

I used to make my own during my student teaching and my first year. I tried a couple of different plan books. My favorite though has to have the days as columns and the subjects as rows. This is the one that I've been using the last 2 years:
    http://www.schoolbox.com/Lesson-Plan-Record-Bk-1.aspx?CategoryID=1900

It's a Teacher Created Materials Grade book and Lesson Plan book in one.

15. Gopher4

Gopher4 Comrade

Jul 13, 2010

I make my own. I'm old school and like to write in my daily plans. I have times, periods and regularly scheduled things typed in, but then write in my plans each week. I add a section for blank checklists, yearly calendar and notes. I make a cute front and back cover from scrapbook paper or cardstock, laminate them, then get it spiral bound at FedEx/Kinko's.

16. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 13, 2010

I really like this idea :thumb: I already use a template but put mine in a binder. I really like my template but the binder is a bit cumbersome. I have never in all these years thought about getting it spiral bound!! Again, learn something new and useful EVERY DAY here at AtoZ:thumb:

17. Loves the beach

Loves the beach Companion

Jul 13, 2010

I see! Thank you all for the examples! They are very helpful, and I am going to try something like that this coming school year.

18. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2010

My school has provided them the last few years. It will be hard to get used to using a new one after using the same type of plan book for the last 3 years.

19. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2010

This is actually what my school provides! I'm glad to know I can get it for myself if it's not provided!

20. eddygirl

eddygirl Companion

Jul 14, 2010

I use an Excel spreadsheet for my lesson plans. Each column is one day, and each cell is a different lesson (vocab., grammar, Lit.). I also create separate cells for homework for each class. If you use the "wrap text" feature, you can keep typing and the box expands. I like the spreadsheet because I print one for myself and one for my dept. chair (we have to turn in lesson plans), then I also print one to post on the classroom bulletin board (just the homework section) for the students; this save having to write homework on the board.

It also makes it easier for posting to our homework site. I copy each homework cell, then paste them to the text box of the homework site. I have found that this saves me a lot of time, and because I save every week's spreadsheet, I can easily pull them up next year if I want to use a previous lesson.

21. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 14, 2010

Lynn, what does your template look like?

22. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Jul 14, 2010

Our elementary teachers use the Carson-Dellosa Big Plan book. It is "oversized" so it has plenty of room. I really like using it, but I'm thinking this year I may try to make my own too. I'm really particular and block in every special.

23. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 14, 2010

I use a calendar. It has a two page monthly spread, followed by a 2 page spread for each week. I go through the calendar at the beginning of the year and mark grading periods, field trips, state testing days, etc and then I just add to it as I find out more dates.

That way when I'm making my plans it is all right there. The month gives me the big picture and the two page week spreads give me room to make notes/write a few more details if I need them.

24. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 14, 2010

I honestly just use my Unit Calendars in conjunction with iCal on my computer to keep track of meetings and other important events.

25. rabyoga

rabyoga Rookie

Jul 14, 2010

I'm a computer gal. I have only used a template that a co-worker made. Granted, I've only been teaching for 5 yrs. For the last 3 yrs., I've used a grade book online. I'm just a Techo girl ;)

26. Teachings4Me

Teachings4Me Companion

Jul 14, 2010

I just bought this plan book! :)

27. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2010

I type faster than I write, so making my own works well for me.

It's in chart form. Days across the top, periods to the side.

I even add clip art just to amuse myself. And it can be color-coded, too. Lots of cutting and pasting going on--like the same standard or essential question.

28. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jul 14, 2010

I also make my own lesson plans. I created a table in Word. I put in important dates in a row I call "notes". That way if I have a sub, she can go to the notes section to see times for specials, recess, etc. I have to send my lesson plans to my principal. It makes it a lot easier than going and making a copy of handwritten lesson plans. I like the idea of putting worksheets with lesson plans in a binder. What a great idea!

29. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 14, 2010

I use an Excel spreadsheet (landscape layout), print them, and put them in a binder. The spreadsheet has the days of the week in the first column followed by the subject headings. For each row, I type in the times for each subject daily. The last column I have includes all of my specials. The basic template is set then for everything. I usually type in my lessons then forward the document to my principal. All in all, my whole week is on one piece of paper. I use the back of the previous week's sheet to record phone calls and notes for myself. The other bonus is that each cell is almost the size of a small sticky so if I need to change something quickly for a sub, I write it up and place it over the original plans. :)

30. LMT

LMT Rookie

Jul 16, 2010

I make my own too...nothing special.

At the top I have the standards that I'll be teaching that week.

Under that I have the days of the week

To the left are the blocks of time and then I just fill in the plans in bullet style. EX:

*Paper towel lab
    *Brain POP video
    *Read and discuss pages 2-3 in book etc.

At the bottom I put any links or resources needed for the week!

Nothing special, but it works and can be changed easily. I make way to big of a mess in a plan book that I write in! :)

31. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Jul 16, 2010

Another idea to add .... you can upload your lesson plan document/spreadsheet to Google Docs and then you can edit/add to it from anywhere! It's SOOOOO handy!

32. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 16, 2010

Ditto

33. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 16, 2010

I make my own template in Word, then I print out a master copy. I have done mine on the computer and then printed it out as well. I use a 3 ring binder which has my plans, grade book (yes I keep a hard copy of that as well),reading plans and standards. I like having everything in one place.

34. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 16, 2010

My binder has my lesson plans, a class list check off sheet, memos, and grade level papers. Its always with me and keeps me pretty organized. I love it.

35. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 16, 2010

I keep mine with me all the time too! It comes home with me every night as well.

36. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Jul 16, 2010

My school provides us with a plan book, and at first I would spend hours writing in that thing until I was fed up! I now use a Word template and life is so much easier! I print two copies out-one to turn in, and one to put in my folder. I don't think I'll ever go back to writing plans again.

37. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2010

I use Planbook by Jeff Hellman. It is an online planbook that is very easy to set up. You can also post your lessons to the website with one click. I paid $30 for it about 5 years ago and have never had to pay anything else. It is well worth it. PM me and I will send you the link to my planbook. Realize that it is summer and there is not a lot on it.

38. Southern JC

Southern JC Companion

Jul 16, 2010

Don't think you're weird at all. :) I went to my school today to pick up a few materials and the office staff was still there. The secretary was nice enough to give me my lesson plan book for the upcoming year! I was so excited; now that's weird. :D We are given a lesson plan book at the beginning of the year; it's up to you if you us it or not. We are not required to use a paper lesson plan book, but we are required to submit plans online. I like doing both (lesson plan book and MS Word). I use the lesson plan book (by School Smart) to plan long-term. I like to see how my plans will coincide with past, present, and future lessons. The pages provided are loaded with space. Writing in pencil allows me to change and revise when necessary. Also, I don't feel bad about taking out my lesson plan book in places where laptops are not convient.

39. JTeach619

JTeach619 Companion

Jul 17, 2010

I am also super picky about how my lesson plans are set up. Writing things by hand takes me forever and with all the things I include in my plans I don't think it would fit in the plan books sold at stores. I created an Excel workbook for my plan book. Each subject has it's own spreadsheet and I've put the days of the week in rows. For each day I include the state standards, objectives, activity, and any home learning assigned for that day. In my math plans I've also put a spot to indicate which manipulative I will be using for the lesson. It's a lot but helps keeps me organized as I am a very visual person lol :lol: Each week I print my plans and place them in a Lesson Plan binder with monthly dividers...makes it a lot easier to find specific plans when I need them!!

40. histonfan

histonfan Rookie

Jul 17, 2010

you should look up educational planning books and they have good planning books to buy for teachers and students.

41. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 17, 2010

I haven't used a plan book in 3 years due to online lessons in Progress Book. I would type a unit out in word and then upload it. There were options to attach standards and to schedule the lesson. I may go back to the book now that I'll be teaching more lessons in a week this year. :D