Teacher pet peeves

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by otterpop, Mar 5, 2018.

1. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Mar 8, 2018

I've only gotten that question as a sub, and thankfully then I can very honestly say, "I have no idea."
    My 2nd and 3rd graders though ask (on Fridays) "Do we have school tomorrow?" and my reply is always, "YOU do!" It's probably mean but it's hilarious. The kids who were in my class last year know I'm just messing with them and say, "Miss M!" The kids who weren't in my class have a momentary expression of confused panic that makes it totally worth it. Same goes for when they get a huge packet from their teacher and start freaking out about having to do all of it (even though it's classwork and they're clearly going through it together), and they ask if it's homework: "Yup, you have to do all of it tonight. It's due tomorrow."

I'm a mean teacher.... But it's just so funny to freak them out when they ask questions with obvious answers if they would just THINK about it for 3 seconds before asking.

2. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Mar 8, 2018

So the "m" in "miss-m" stands for "mean"?

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Mar 8, 2018

When your SPE parapro cannot pronounce words in lessons.

We were discussing the Guinness World Records and she pronounced it "Janice". What?! That is just one of MANY that have been butchered over the years.

4. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Mar 8, 2018

I tell students it stands for "Mystery" (and that my first name is actually Miss). But I also tell them I'm 26,000 years old and some of them can't decide if I'm serious or not, so it could very well stand for "Mean" too.

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Mar 8, 2018

Onomatopoeia usage? I don't really give a hoot about that.

[​IMG]

teacherintexas likes this.
  6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Mar 8, 2018

People who don't respond or follow through.

otterpop likes this.
  7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 9, 2018

When a kid gets reprimanded/gets a consequence from an adult for making a bad choice, they'll say (about the adult issuing the behavior referral): "S/he got me in trouble."

I remind them that the adult didn't get them in trouble, they got themselves in trouble!

Obadiah likes this.
  8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 9, 2018

I see this a LOT! Cringeworthy every time, too!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  9. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Mar 9, 2018

The other day, our newspaper reported about a emergency.

otterpop likes this.
  10. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 9, 2018

This. Is. My. Pet. Peeve.

Obadiah likes this.
  11. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Mar 10, 2018

I think I'll name my next dog "Peeve". Just for fun.

SpecialPreskoo and Obadiah like this.
  12. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Mar 19, 2018

Can I add another pet peeve?
    In math, I've noticed a lot of teachers who know that "vertices" refers to the angles of a shape. However, they then think that the correct singular is "vertice" and apparently don't know the word "vertex."

The teacher whose room I'm in has an anchor chart with "vertice" on it and I'm cringing so hard.

13. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 19, 2018

So your pet peeve is teachers who do not know what they are teaching?

14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 19, 2018

You need to tell her. She's teaching it to (insert # of students) incorrectly.

15. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 19, 2018

Every year... That is a lot of people.

16. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Mar 19, 2018

Ha, basically. It's a scarily common occurrence.... Sometimes I feel like it should be harder to become a teacher because there seem to be a lot of teachers who wanted to teach even though they're kind of terrible at most of the things they have to teach.

mathmagic likes this.
  17. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Mar 19, 2018

My biggest peeve is being interrupted when I'm personally talking to or helping a student. Some kids have zero boundaries when it is all about them. I can be with a student, explaining something one-on-one, and this occurs:
    a kid stands next to us and starts talking over me. I ignore until I get a break in a sentence, then remind the kid how rude that behavior is.
    OR
    a kid (sometime same one from above ex) stands next to us and tap-taps me on the body to get my attention. GRRRRR! Then I immediately stop and address respecting personal space issue and keeping hands to self. I remind them, "I NEVER tap kids and you should not tap me either."

18. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Mar 19, 2018

I have a few.

When teachers make bulletin boards with errors and they aren't play on words. Usually those rogue apostrophes are the issue.

Another is using "an" for "and". You an I. Hamburger an fries.

"PROLLY" is not a word!

otterpop likes this.
  19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2018

I have never seen this from a student; I see it often on social media from adults.

20. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Mar 19, 2018

This is one that makes me cringe when I hear it in public.

A parent will say, "If you do that one more time, we're leaving," or some other consequence - and then the kid will do it plenty more times, but there's no follow through.

It makes our jobs sooo much harder, IMO. I actually had a child try to bargain with me today:
    Me (holding out hand): "Give me __ please, I asked you to put it away." (previous request had been ignored)
    Student: Stuffs item into desk.
    Me: Marks down consequence since student blatantly ignored my request.
    Student: "Wait! I'll give it to you if you erase that ( referring to consequence)."
    Me: Marks down another consequence for trying to bargain with me.

I don't know if I explained that situation all that well, but it was totally something I imagine plays out at home regularly!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    kpa1b2 likes this.
  21. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 19, 2018

I don’t often have repeat offenders as I do as you do and mark a second consequence for not following directions, but this has become quite common.

22. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 20, 2018

Someone needs to start a thread about parent pet peeves LOL Parents do a lot of things that are just ....:dizzy:

23. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Mar 22, 2018

I recently watched the movie "Wonder" with my 4th grade son. He liked the movie so much, grandma bought it for him. Anyways.. there is a principal's office scene with snooty parents in denial.. I have heard we have some parents like that. They are always blaming the school and staff. If we're so wrong, then send your child elsewhere!

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 23, 2018

Yup! There are some in every school. The parent of one of my student's is totally in denial that she created a monster by spoiling the child and letting him do whatever he wants. She says she has no idea how he got this way when the school tells her about his behaviors. He is also severely overweight and was just diagnosed with a medical problem (obesity related) and she claims she has no idea how he got that way...:roll: (It couldn't have been the trips to the Walmart snack aisle, the KFC or the McDonalds).

25. Been There

Been There Habitué

Mar 23, 2018

Teachers who are aversive to generalizations

I get sick and tired of teachers who take offense every time they hear a generalization that they don't agree with. They love to point out, "You're generalizing!" as if a sin had been committed. It's as if to say that a generalization is a bad thing when in fact it's just one way that we as humans make sense of the world. In simple terms, a generalization is a statement that seems to be true in most situations. Must evidence from a scientific study be used to support every generalization that is uttered or can it simply reflect one's own personal experiences?

Here's an example.
    Generalization: According to my experience, teaching grammar is easy as long as you know how to present it well.
    Offended teacher: You're making a generalization that I don't agree with! (no further explanation given)

It's irrelevant whether or not the offended teacher agrees with the generalization - the statement merely reflects the other teacher's experience with teaching grammar. It's likely that the defensive remark by the offended teacher may be indicative of her own difficulty in teaching grammar. IMO, such confrontations are totally unnecessary!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  26. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2018

On the job, I hate administrators who want to borrow everything you have and say they will bring it back. And then there's the thieves who just go shopping in your classroom. You can write your name all over it, they have no shame. "Uh, I don't know how I got that, one of the kids probably brought it over here." I also hate it when they lose every piece of paper you give them, and whenever they have an reviewer check their files, they come bugging me for these forms. I gave you it already! What do you do with my stuff??

I hate parents who think their kids are perfect and do NOTHING wrong. I really enjoy it when they come early and see their little princess yelling or hitting somebody. Yeah, I stand back and watch.

I hate parents who come on field trips and buy gifts for their kids and the ones they are watching. I am not buying stuff for my kids, and it makes my kids sad. If they gave us a budget, I would buy something for everyone. But I'm sure some parent will try to out do me anyway.

Let's just say in general, I hate it when we never have enough supplies, don't get reimbursed for what we need, and have to beg or buy something as simple as easel paper or laminating sheets - I dunno - glue sticks! Somebody has some somewhere.