Teacher pet peeves

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by otterpop, Mar 5, 2018.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Mar 5, 2018

I'm reading a book (non-school related) and this author uses so many sentence fragments. It's a good book, but that part of it annoys me. I find myself rereading sentences thinking - did I read that right?

I am wondering what other teacher pet peeves you all have that you notice in your personal lives?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 5, 2018

Many grammar ones, for sure. Also, whenever a math term is used incorrectly (my "favorite" -- the cent sign: 0.99 cents...ugh).

4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Mar 5, 2018

When people are late/don't keep their appointments. I can't remember the last time I wasn't at least 10 minutes early to where I needed to be.

kpa1b2, bella84 and otterpop like this.
  5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Mar 5, 2018

... And after I read your post I found I forgot a word (it's fixed now).

I think cellphones and tablets make grammatically correct typing even more of a challenge. It's so much easier to make errors.

6. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 5, 2018

Wha't due u mean, its hard to make mistakes!
    (The apostrophe before all t's and s's is my current classroom pet peeve :p )

ssgirl11 likes this.
  7. rpan

rpan Cohort

Mar 6, 2018

Emma Watson got some flack for her Times Up tattoo on her arm at the Oscars. Everyone is saying that it should be Time’s Up. But I think she got it right. Someone please clarify if my primary school English teacher did me wrong all these years and my punctuation skills need some revision!!

8. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Mar 6, 2018

Alot of people make rhetorical errors. They need to home in on there writing skills. When all twenty student's papers contain errors, a lesson might need to be retaught. It don't take a genius to realize, however, that nobodies perfect. To air is human, to forgive, divine.

Backroads and MrsC like this.
  9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 6, 2018

Definitely people who are late. People who send emails with multiple errors (grammar, spelling, the wrong information that has to be corrected later), people making decisions about my class without looking at my classroom schedule first to see if it will be disruptive, people who call out on a regular basis (when you know they aren't sick), I could go on and on lol

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 6, 2018

Me too.
    Also,there's one department in my school that has a habit of scheduling certain things then they "forget" and it has to be rescheduled. SO ANNOYING. I don't know how these people still have jobs.

kpa1b2 likes this.
  11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 6, 2018

i want to love this post. i actually want to luv many of you're post's.

Backroads likes this.
  12. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Mar 6, 2018

Someone else, I think it was Matthew Mcconaughey, said "supposebly" instead of supposedly at the Oscars. No big deal but I'd noticed that too.

13. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Mar 6, 2018

I'm pretty sure it's "Time's up!" since it means "time IS up." Times without an apostrophe just means the plural of "time" which doesn't make sense in that context.

Apostrophes in plurals, misuse of "there/their" or "your/you're," and general grammar mistakes that people should have learned in school drive me crazy. Another one (though this one is fairly uncommon) is when people use quotation marks for emphasis -- there's a sign posted on my drive to work that says:
    Will "buy" your house!
    In "any" condition!
    or something to that effect, and it's such a minor thing, but GOOD GRIEF, IT MAKES IT SOUND SO SKETCHY.

Caesar753 likes this.
  14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 6, 2018

I was coming here to mention the quotation mark misuse. I hate that! It always makes everything seem so sketchy.

[​IMG]

Zelda~* and miss-m like this.
  15. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 6, 2018

:rofl:

16. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 6, 2018

Capital Ls and capital Bs without reason. Just... randomly sitting there. I have lost count this year of how many times I have taught this. For the most part, my kiddos seem to get capitals.. except for Bs and Ls. I have specifically taught this!

17. Kat.

Kat. Companion

Mar 6, 2018

"Mines" - NO. There is only one of you.

Caesar753 likes this.
  18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 6, 2018

This one I understand, at least when the littles say it, because it follows the pattern of yours, hers, ours, etc. Even so, my own kid learned it from other kids at pre-K and it drives me nuts.

kpa1b2 likes this.
  19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 6, 2018

I had a student a few years ago who always used uppercase for B and D. When I asked him about it, he told me that he often confused the lowercase, so just used uppercase instead so that he was sure he was using the right letter.

Obadiah and Backroads like this.
  20. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 6, 2018

I get annoyed at people who don't learn there kids good.

Obadiah likes this.
  21. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Mar 6, 2018

This one is a big enough issue at my school that even some of the teachers say it.

22. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 6, 2018

I rather respect this.

SpecialPreskoo and Obadiah like this.
  23. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 6, 2018

I think we sometimes just get the local coloquial.

24. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 6, 2018

I did as well. He recognized his struggles and made a plan to deal with it. He eventually morphed into making all of his letters uppercase because he got less grief from teachers that way.

Backroads and miss-m like this.
  25. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Mar 6, 2018

Seen instead of saw - I seen that movie yesterday.

Also, disrespectful audiences, especially at PD. I present a lot of PD and I’ve become a model attendee because I get it!

otterpop likes this.
  26. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Mar 6, 2018

Back when spell check was new, I remember reading a poem about it. The first few lines were: Eye halve ay spill chequer, it came width my peasy, it plane lea marques four my review, miss steaks aye kin knot sea.

Other than egregious spelling/grammar errors, it's adding unnecessary prepositions to the end of questions while neglecting verbs. e.g. "Where it at?" "Where she going to?"

27. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Mar 6, 2018

Oh my word, PD. Teachers make terrible learners! I try so hard to be respectful and attempt to listen, and then I can't even listen if I want to because everyone else is talking. It drives me crazy!

28. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 6, 2018

OK - another kid one, but one that tends to come up often: using "versus" has a verb (I was versing my opponent)

bella84 and YoungTeacherGuy like this.
  29. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 6, 2018

OK - another kid one, but one that tends to come up often: using "versus" has a verb (I was versing my opponent)

30. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 6, 2018

"presentating"

ssgirl11 likes this.
  31. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Mar 6, 2018

I wonder if this is regional? I've never heard that.

32. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Mar 6, 2018

Oh, also:

Random possessive apostrophes.

Making taco's with the family tonight!

miss-m likes this.
  33. JimG

JimG Comrade

Mar 6, 2018

The lack of an Oxford Comma.

bella84 likes this.
  34. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 6, 2018

A local high school teacher sales cookies in her free time. :dizzy:

The worst part is that she is an English teacher.

35. Been There

Been There Habitué

Mar 7, 2018

I had a feeling that this wasn't limited to California! Imagine having to sit in a crowded gymnasium with 200 other teachers whose behavior was worse than any poorly managed class. For three hours, the presenter tried in vain to control the noisy crowd with a little bell - hilarious and boring as hell!

What about principals and teachers who pretend to know what they're doing, but don't know the first thing about pedagogy and lack people skills?

What about teachers and aides who frequently ask for help with the 3rd grade curriculum?

What about principals and teachers who invariably trip over their tongues whenever they come across a word that has more than three syllables? Teachers who like to show off their limited vocab. by using the word onomatopoeia as often as possible (wow, 6 syllables!).

Educators who are intimidated by colleagues who know more than they do and are reluctant to ask for help.

Teachers who are unreceptive to innovative strategies for teaching their most difficult students - they would rather drown than try an unconventional approach.

Teachers who assume everyone shares their political views and are quick to condemn anyone who holds a different opinion - highly opinionated individuals who lack much knowledge of the subject.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  36. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

Mar 7, 2018

From the math side, I'll admit: In young grades, I cringe when students consider lines as being one of three things: parallel, intersecting, OR perpendicular. Too many don't consider the perpendicular ones as intersecting. It's just something to unteach years later.

37. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Mar 7, 2018

I say onomatopoeia as often as possible because it's just so dang fun to say (plus my 2nd graders LOVED it). Though I like to think my vocabulary isn't limited to that one 6 syllable word since I mentally collect fun facts and words. My personal favorite is hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia, which is the fear of long words, right next to Diapheromera femorata, which is the scientific name for the Northern Walkingstick (and just rolls so nicely off the tongue).

I'm done now. But it does irk me when teachers and principals trip over/mispronounce common words. Also on the list are "ONery" when they mean "ornery," "ecspecially" (cringe), and "mischevious."

Obadiah likes this.
  38. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Mar 7, 2018

Hmmmmmmmmm......is this Goldilocks?

39. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Mar 7, 2018

"orientate"... ugh. It should be "orient".
    "preventative"... also, ugh. It should be "preventive".

Lately, double-negatives combined with passive speech in technical documents that are supposed to give recommendations but instead only give observations.

A lot of you probably don't see the impact of poor writing education. I see it daily, and the truly sad aspect of it is that it will never be addressed, because a lot of the people reading the documentation aren't capable writers either.

Been There likes this.
  40. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Mar 7, 2018

When my students tell me they're bored or "What time is this class over?" Um, if it were my job to entertain you, I would be getting paid a heck of a lot more.

41. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Mar 8, 2018

My area of growing up had regional colloquialisms and a regional dialect that I used as a kid, but it has mostly disappeared from today's generation. "Ahnry" was one of the pronunciations I remember. Some also would "barry" some sugar rather than borrow it; my friend my age still says that. I mazwell move on to another word (instead of "might as well"); [actually, I still say that one in informal situations].

A rather funny word was "tonic". Everyone called soda, tonic. When we were kids, a guest was at my grandmother's house while we were visiting. My grandmother was giving us a treat, (back then soda was a treat, not a staple), and one of us politely asked the guest if she would also like some tonic. The guest politely replied, "No, thank you," but then she was surprised when she saw us drinking our tonic out of a cup. She thought our grandmother was giving us our daily medicine.