Teacher opening nearby district; should I go for it?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Nov 24, 2013.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Nov 24, 2013

Same district I applied to at the beginning of the summer. They passed me by. They now have an opening in 5th. I think I'd love it, but I'm worried that if my little district gets wind of it, they'll turn on me (they're funny that way). The bigger district offers so much more; collaboration, training, and more money, of course. But I'd be the very low man on the totem pole and could lose my job there if they have to downsize.

I have many reasons to change and many to stay. How does a teacher do this in the middle of the year and not be percieved as a traitor or not grateful for what I have now. I'm also concerned that the big district didn't pick me up due to my age (56). And it's the same superintendent. Any advice, tips or comments? Thank you.

:help: :dizzy: :help: :dizzy: :help: :dizzy: :help:

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 24, 2013

I don't see any way that you could apply for essentially a lateral move mid-year without being perceived badly by your current district. If I applied to another job midyear, my district would have grounds to have my license revoked.

4. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Nov 24, 2013

Personally, I wouldn't look to change jobs mid-year unless something really unbearable was happening. Are you an at-will employee, or under contract?

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 24, 2013

Yeah, depending in your contract, I don't see this as a very good idea. My former district would not have released someone from their contract to move.

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Nov 24, 2013

If you're in a public school district, I wouldn't do it. I work at a charter so I'm at will, and I still wouldn't do it. I need their recommendations and good will (and I need to finish BTSA.) I understand how you're feeling - I torture myself by checking edjoin and wishing I could apply to midyear jobs in the area I want to move to...but I just have to wait until they start posting jobs for next year.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 24, 2013

I would wait until the end of the year to make a change.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 24, 2013

I think that there are only a few acceptable reasons to leave a teaching position in the middle of the year. I'm not sure that just wanting a better position is a good enough reason, unless you teach in a charter school or something without a contract and where it is customary for teachers to leave mid-year.

I would also think that most districts would not hire teachers who are currently under contract elsewhere. To me, that seems like bad form, and I'd really question the district's integrity in doing that. If they have questionable integrity about hiring practices, what sort of issues might individual teachers face down the road?

If it were me, assuming that I wasn't in a weird no-contract situation, I would only apply for a new position if that new position started next school year.

9. GGarcia

GGarcia Rookie

Nov 24, 2013

I was in a similar situation. I decided to go ahead and apply and was interviewed. At my current district I am only 50% and there is no guarantee that I will ever become 100%. I feel guilty for even thinking about leaving mid-year, but after encouragement from others on this forum I decided to do it.

10. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 24, 2013

That's a different position. You were effectively going for a promotion. I don't think anybody would begrudge a half-time employee for seeking a full-time job. I'm guessing even your current employer understood your decision. This is somebody wanting to make a lateral move. That isn't going to be looked at kindly.

11. GGarcia

GGarcia Rookie

Nov 24, 2013

I hope so!!! He is calling my school this week for references and I am scared on how this might play out:unsure:

12. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 24, 2013

I'm just going to assume that phone call won't be coming as a big shock to anybody at your current district!

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 24, 2013

I definitely think that it's okay to leave mid-year if you're going from part-time or non-permanent to full-time, permanent. Absolutely, 100% okay. Be sure to give your current admin a heads up that you've applied for another position.

14. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Nov 24, 2013

Yes, guys, I see your point. I would imagine that the new district would not want to poach a full time teacher from another district. Nor would it reflect positively on me as a professional. Glad I posted the question here and glad that you all advised me to wait. I love my school where I am, but there a big changes coming down the road and I'm not sure that it will continue to be a fit for me. But bailing mid year would not be seen favorably by both parties.

I am on a contract, but not union. It's a five teacher school, versus a five school district. But there are plans to build another school, so jobs might be available in the future. So, I'll wait until the proper time. Thank you for such great advice.

GGarcia, no one should begrudge you the opportunity to take a full time job and have your own classroom, not to mention benefits. They should support you all the way on this move. You've got to take care of you and your family. I'm sure that they'll hate to see you go, but holding you back is not fair by any means. Good luck to you.