Teacher obsolescence

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mami1Maestra2, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Mami1Maestra2

Mami1Maestra2 Rookie

Nov 12, 2019

Do you ever wonder about teachers becoming obsolete? What with so much being geared toward student-centered environments, homeschooling, an overabundance of online tools...I dunno. I sometimes wonder what is a teacher's purpose if were moving so much toward "guide on the side." Thoughts?

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Nov 12, 2019

I don’t think that teachers will ever become obsolete. I do think the job will look drastically different in 15 years or so. Which direction it will head, though, I’m not sure. It will depend a lot on the direction of our government here in the US.

Tired Teacher, mrsf70 and bella84 like this.
  4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 13, 2019

No way. Not every child will be able to be taught online or be homeschooled. More and more teachers are being treated as babysitters so there's no way parents would take on 100% of the responsibility of having their child learn at home. Even if someone is teaching them online, parents still have to be present.

otterpop likes this.
  5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 13, 2019

No.

6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 13, 2019

No.

I once heard from a gentleman who raged against brick-and-mortor schools and how teachers were becoming obsolete.

His children? They attended online schools with... teachers.

Could I see online schools becoming the norm or at least a strong option? Absolutely. But they by admission still use teachers.

Digital learning, I think, is largely a joke, at least they way it is presented. Online learning via programs can be handy practice, but I don't think the majority of kids learn well that way.

The way I see it, the brightest minds still confer with other people. While teaching and schools may significantly change, I think our jobs will remain generally secure.

May I remind us of Isaac Asimov's story?

7. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Nov 13, 2019

I'm not obsolete, I am vintage!

8. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Nov 14, 2019

I suppose it's possible for me to imagine a room in which 50 10-year-olds plug into a computer and "learn" independently all day long with a single teacher roving the room to monitor. I think that some politicians and technology companies would like to think it's a viable option. There are a few large issues with this, though:
    • You're always going to have behavior issues or off task behavior. An adult needs to be there, if nothing less, to monitor that. If a school has an extremely strict discipline policy for a room such as this, it's possible.
    • You're always going to have students that get stuck and are unable to learn something on their own. A knowledgeable adult will still need to be able to help those students.
    • Finally, students would be so bored. Children are social and are meant to learn by doing. And, all that screen time has been proven to be very bad for their brain development.
    The idea of a fully differentiated classroom where every student learns at their own pace sounds good in the sense that no one's waiting around for others to learn something when they already know the content. The bad side of that is, social skills are very important and if students are looking at a screen all day, they will lose important social interaction and problem solving skills.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Tired Teacher, blazer and Backroads like this.
  9. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Nov 15, 2019

There is loads of stuff that just can't be learned from sitting in front of a screen and loads of other stuff that could be learned but it would be the most boring way to do it.

Backroads likes this.
  10. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Nov 15, 2019

I hope this doesn't happen, because our online school in the county is in its 2nd year of existence and is already a "D" school. Of course, this is because it's full of students whose parents thought the brick and mortar school was the issue and they could do a better job online. I've never understood parents pulling their struggling kids out of school to homeschool. Hello.....you could work with your child at home to remediate along with them going to school. But, most of the time they don't even want to do that much. Also, there's a terrible trend in my county of parents "homeschooling" and then sending them back to public school 4-5 years later because it's inconvenient or they can no longer help with the material.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  11. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Nov 16, 2019

When little children are sad and they need someone to cry on, will they hug the nearest Chromebook? What’s gonna save teachers’ jobs is that technology won’t replace caring... or fist bumps.... or a human voice saying, “Atta boy!!! You got it!”

ecteach, bella84 and Tired Teacher like this.
  12. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 16, 2019

I remember this being discussed 50 yrs ago. Computers were huge and ( I think only the gvt had them . I am not positive about that part.) I remember hearing that in my adult life, it was a possibility computers would be teachers. ( I am pretty sure it was in a Scholastic News or the discussion came from one..) It seemed like such a far fetched idea then.
    Education here is on such a downward spiral due to lack of any behavioral consequences. ( Also with all of the behavioral disordered kids being pushed in the classroom w/out support.) I can see public schools looking VERY different in the future. ( If they even exist...) WE can't keep heading in the direction we are.
    Probably 1/3 of the population "homeschools" their kids now here. The district promotes it because they make money from it. They give parents stipends to do whatever they want for PE, Art, Music, and give them computers and free internet. We don't have art teachers in schools.
    There are zero consequence or checks/ balances to see if a child learns.
    It is sad for all of the kids who never learn to read or do basic math because their parents do not make them do it. I have only known 2 parents who homeschooled for the right reasons AND made sure their kids learned.
    I have seen many parents try to enroll their kids in 4th or 5th, but the kids are so far behind ( socially and academically) that they seldom make it through a yr. It is usually when the parents split up or a parent needs a babysitter. They don't have the discipline to get up in the morning and get dressed most of the time.
    If public schools continue another 50 yrs, my guess it'll either be like a PP mentioned....50 kids in a room hooked up to computers or as a babysitting service for those who work.
    If my kids were young in this place and day and age, I do not think I'd send them to schools I see around here. I would not want my kids exposed to the crazy behaviors, disruptions, and violence. I wouldn't want them to see it as acceptable and how bad behavior is rewarded.
    I am so thankful not to have young kids. My hat goes off to parents who are able to be good parents now because with the way technology, many schools, and society are like now. I do know a few that give me hope for our country's future.

13. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 16, 2019

It's sad kids are in school for 6 1/2 hours a day and don't come out knowing basic math or basic reading because of all of the other things that schools have now built into the day that was not there decades ago.

ecteach and bella84 like this.
  14. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 16, 2019

That is not so much an issue
    Schools are different around the US and can change at the drop of a hat. The vast majority of kids in our school that attend regularly learn the basics...no problem. Once they have, they keep going. WE have a group of "old school teachers."..lol) for the most part.
    It is the ones who are absent a lot, extremely behaviorally disturbed, or taught in the sped room that don't make basic progress.
    If any one of us quits, the rest of us will probably be up a creek though...lol I know a school up the road that I always thought as such a good school. ( The teachers ran it.) Most were extremely experienced and old school. I worked there for a few yrs. It ran smoothly, but over the last 4-6 yrs, most of those teachers have retired. The school is no longer a school where kids go to learn. Chaos ensues.