Teacher Notebook

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mstnteacherlady, Jul 5, 2008.

1. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 5, 2008

I am trying to go ahead and get as organized as I can before the school year starts so I don't fall behind and become a clutter-fly :). I plan to utilize a notebook for organization this year and am working on getting it put together. What would / do you put in your notebook?
    So far I have: updated copies of standards and correlation guides for our district, student information sections, lesson planner, copies of forms (referrals - office, nurse, and guidance; conference requests; etc.), and class lists to use for checking off items.
    What else should I be sure to include?

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 5, 2008

Maybe you'll have this separately, but supply teacher notes may be a nice addition.

4. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 5, 2008

supply teacher notes? can you expand on that a little? thanks. :)

5. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 5, 2008

I have a generic set of sub plans in mine - I print them out and leave space to hand write any specifics I need.

I would think about things I would want to be able to easily take home with me (all on one location) and anything I would need in an emergency situation (just grab the binder and go).

6. monsieurteacher

Jul 5, 2008

Basically just emergency notes, one class I subbed in there was a girl with a heart murmur... she always had to go to the bathroom with someone else... VERY helpful information for a sub who would likely not allow that if not mentioned beforehand... anything like how things work at your school that may be important (are teachers required to stay in the classroom at lunchtime, or is someone on duty? What are some of the procedures that you use in something like morning meeting for instance. Where to find materials that they may need... where student work is located - in their desks? on a shelf somewhere?)

All sorts of information that would be helpful. Some teachers may prefer a separate duotang or something for that which is fine as well.

7. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 5, 2008

You could include an area for just birthdays for quick reference and IEP'd items.

8. ~~Pam~~

~~Pam~~ Companion

Jul 5, 2008

This may be completely off-base of what you are looking for, but I use a notebook to keep track of all the memos/instructions/calendar of events, etc that I receive throughout the year in paper form from the front office. This notebook also includes copies of forms, class lists, etc. that you described. In a separate notebook I keep everything related to my curriculum ie standards, lesson plans, copies of worksheets, tests, student passwords, and anything related to standardized testing. Since I started using the two notebooks I am the most organized teacher on my team and that really helps everyone!

Each notebook is a 3" notebook.

9. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 5, 2008

I'm going to be doing this this year. I'm using a 5" binder and will put copies of my lesson plans, forms (referrals, staff room/extension numbers), class lists, staff development handouts, copies of sheets I use a lot (bathroom sign out, math drills), etc. That's as far as I've gotten so far in deciding what will go in the binder.

10. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2008

I have sections for Team related memos/notes, school related, district related and student info.

11. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 6, 2008

I like these ideas, but a 5'' binder seems so impractical. What if I want to plan from home? That means I have to pull out some lesson plan sheets and all my standards...I'm scared I'll lose things, or be lenient about putting things back into my binder each morning right away.

I do like the idea of having a binder for calendar notes and memos. I'm going to do that!

12. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 6, 2008

"supply teacher" is Canadian for "substitute teacher." Just fyi...

13. AbbyR

AbbyR Rookie

Jul 6, 2008

Our curriculum frameworks and yearly mapping must be kept in a separate notebook for state inspectors to access. Since they also want a class schedule and copies of our school improvement plan, I keep that in there, too, under individual, marked tabs. I use this frequently to get skill numbers, which must be included in our lesson plans, so I keep it where I can see it and get to it.

I have a plan book, which doesn't offer nearly enough room, so I keep a large notebook for my personal lesson plans.

I use files for most of the other things you've mentioned, which really works better for me. I started out with notebooks and got sick of shuffling through them. I have two four-drawer filing cabinets and one two-drawer, and the top drawer of one cabinet - the one next to my desk - is for individual student files (mine - the office keeps the legal ones). I also have files for referral forms, guidance forms, office memos, copies of notes I've sent to the office, forms I use (student check lists, form notes to parents, etc.) and just about anything I will need to keep. This works better for me as all that stuff would never fit in a notebook. The other drawers are for individual subjects, and I keep everything in individual files if I spent a lot of time making it and may want to use it again. I purge files regularly, but keep most things for at least a year just in case. I also have copies of released test items in math, reading and writing so the kids can practice every now and then. We are expected to have these and they take up a ton of space.

I do intend to have a sub folder this year with a schedule, class list, seating chart, bus list, and so on.

Many people do fine with notebooks, but since I have the space, I really prefer files.

14. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 6, 2008

Did not know that. Context clues kind of led to that conclusion, but I still wasn't 100% positive! :) Thanks!

15. monsieurteacher

Jul 6, 2008

Haha, sorry, I keep forgetting I speak a different language ;)

I was wondering what was unclear about it :lol:

16. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Jul 6, 2008

I am doing a binder this year as well. I already got it divided into sections and will put generic sub plans, class lists, pertinent health information about my students, bell schedules, etc.

17. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 6, 2008

I do all my lesson planning at school and don't plan on taking the 5" binder home so it works for my purposes. I want to have a binder that is big enough to hold everything I want in one place. In the past I always end up using more than one binder because I fill it up and I hate that.

18. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 6, 2008

I am at least turning a 1-inch binder into my substitute binder. We have to have one- though I am never out- and I plan on putting important information about students as well as basic plans for teachers to follow.

19. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 6, 2008

Emergency binder

I'm planning on making an emergency binder with parents numbers, emergency contact numbers for each student, etc. I just pray that I'll never need it.

20. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 6, 2008

I bind everything and never thought of one for a substitute teacher. Neat!:2up:

21. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 6, 2008

At my school we have to have a Date notebook. In it we keep current testing info for all students, SIP for all kids, lesson plans, and future testing goals for all kids. I keep a separate one for curriculum guides and standards. We keep emergency sub plans in the office. I have those small stackable bins for office referrals, clinic passes etc.

22. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

this may be off topic but may not- when you have a sub- unexpectedly (sick that morning)- do you have your sub follow your lesson plans that you make or do you have a completely separate day of plans that are "fillers"? that way you can continue with what you are doing with your own lesson plans? this helps a little when planning for one...

23. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 7, 2008

I have emergency sub plans...I update them every now and again. The plans include a review of various topics that we have already covered. There are also a variety of activities and games the sub can choose from to use with the kids. Most of our substitutes come prepared in case there are no plans, so they have the freedom to choose an activity of their own.

24. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 7, 2008

It totally depends on who my sub is. If I don't know who is coming, then I use sub plans. If it is one of two subs we use regularly in the building, I leave my regular plans plus some busy work. I know both of them know how to read and implement a lesson plan, how to get copies if needed, and where to ask for help, if necessary.

If there is anything difficult or messy in my plans, I postpone it until I'm back.

25. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

I kinda add activities that may or may not be a continuation of what I'm doing--depending on what it is BUT I do usually create new lesson plans with step by step wording. My lesson plans are standard and don't have step by step wording since it's all in my head :unsure:
    I've had partner teachers leave lessons plans that are actually meant for them and not the sub. Usually, these are difficult to interpret and subs have a difficult time translating. Happens all the time!!

26. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 7, 2008

Sub Tub! If I'm out unexpectidly, my lesson plans are not going to be understood by a sub. If they are written down at all. They just go to the Sub Tub and everything they need is in there:

http://www.realclassroomideas.com/19.html

27. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 7, 2008

We have emergency plans that are just generic things the kids can do without much assistance, unless I feel up to going in before school starts. I don't like for my students to do busy work. I'm rarely absent because sub plans make me crazy. This year I had perfect attendance(with the exception of staff development days). :2up:

28. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

You good girl!!! I try to take off at least once a month for my "mental" breaks!! But I definitely need to make a "sub tub".:2up:

29. monsieurteacher

Jul 7, 2008

As a former sub (who was perfectly competent and had my teacher's certificate) I hated it when teachers would leave me generic plans. I am a teacher too... I should be treated like one. I'm no babysitter. Luckily very few teachers left me with busy work for their students. I would leave a separate binder or something with notes for the supply teacher, with some things that they can do as an alternative to the lesson I have planned if they feel they're unable to do it, or understand my plans.

That problem hasn't really come up though, as I've only been away a half day for professional development.

30. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 7, 2008

Your teachers were very fortunate to have you. We aren't so fortunate. I've left very simple plans for subs, only to come back and find they "couldn't understand them." I felt like saying, "Hello? It was a simple lesson plan!" Most of our subs are not certified teachers. Our district is always in need of certified teachers, so if they are in the sub pool they eithe aren't qualified, or are only available for part-time, limited hours. Otherwise, they'd have a classroom.

I totally understand your frustration. Just realize that many of us are in situations where the subs we get are not teachers. We get non-education majors with a year of college (and none of that is in education.) We get out-of-work telemarketers. We get military wives who need something for a few months until they transfer with their husbands. They take a one-time training class in being a sub, and then they are sent out into the field to work.

I'd love it if our subs were qualified to teach. I wouldn't have to do so much work to make emergency sub plans -- I could just leave my regular plans -- but alas, we aren't allowed to do that.