Teacher Nightmare

Discussion in 'General Education' started by PinkCupcake, Sep 15, 2012.

1. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Sep 15, 2012

Early this morning, I had a nightmare about school. I'm curious if anyone has had a similiar experience. The funny part is, it's something I would never do because teaching is too important to me. Here's what happened in the dream.
    For some strange reason I needed to quickly go to the grocery store for a large bag of popcorn for the class. I somehow just up and left my class alone and went to the store. I parked as far away from the store and went in. I was in the grocery store for over two hours while my class was left unattended. I realize there are only 15 minutes until school dismissal so I start running with my car. No matter how fast I run, the car is never close. In the middle of running my phone rings with a call from my school. I answer and the principal is on the other line and she says, "Well, I'm not exactly sure how to respond but your fired." I immediately started crying and am devastated. I'm babbling like an idiot on the phone explaining how much I love my job and can't imagine doing anything else. Somehow I finally make it to my car and haul it to school. On the way back I'm trapped in a school zone while passing LeBron James' Magnet School or something like that. This is way too random! Does he even have a school?! I don't even like the guy!
    I make it back to school and to the library where the kids are. They are just sitting quietly and giving me blank stares. The poor kids didn't even get any popcorn because the bell rang and they had to leave for dismissal.
    I promise you I had no alcohol or anything to weird to eat before I went to bed last night. I would never leave my kids unattended and would always call my school if I was running late. I think I'm too traumatized at the moment to ever buy popcorn.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2012

:lol::lol:

Sorry, I have no idea what's going on, but you did give me a good laugh.

4. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Sep 15, 2012

:lol: I'm glad I could make you laugh! I honestly think popcorn has been ruined for me for a very long time. I have some crazy dreams.

5. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Sep 15, 2012

You are not alone! I have had quite a few bizarre dreams over the years. They are always worse at the beginning of the school year.

Recently, I dreamt a former student(who is now in their thirties) was smashed when a very heavy man rolled over on him. The child was so flat we couldn't even find his body. I had to go explain to the child's children what had happened and how they would never see their daddy again. The police were mad at me because the child's body couldn't be found. On top of it all we were at my family reunion having a picnic.

No clue where that came from!

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 15, 2012

Pink,

Sounds like you are feeling overwhelmed & disorganized.

Or at least worried about it.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 15, 2012

I have had the same set of recurring school nightmares for years. The only constant is when they occur--before school begins, near spring testing, and at the end of the school year. There is also generally one around the time I have an observation, although I've never gotten anything other than stellar observations in 20 years.

You're probably just stressed out about something, even if you aren't really aware of it.

8. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Sep 15, 2012

I probably am more stressed than I realized about this year. This group will be my most challenging I've had. They are all so different. I have 3 special ed. students. One of those students is in a wheelchair and has her own full time aide. Almost half my class has either a peanut allergy, asthma, or some other concern I need to be on constant look out for.

9. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2012

I had a dream last night that I went to Disneyland with one of my students--not my own kids.

10. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 15, 2012

I used to have a recurring nightmare for years. I've read that it is a common one. I'm in school, either high school or college, and final exams are approaching. I realize that I had read my schedule wrong all year/semester and I haven't attended classes for that course at all. Sometimes I'm in the school office trying to get a printout of the true schedule and I show up for the last couple of weeks.

Oddly, I haven't had that nightmare ONCE since I started teaching! Had it for decades but once the most stressful job I've had comes along it goes away ;)

11. applecore

applecore Devotee

Sep 15, 2012

By chance, have you been snacking on popcorn watching basketball every day? :)

No nightmares this year...yet. Last year, I barely slept because of the living events that took place.

I usually start having them around ISAT time.

12. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 15, 2012

Your brain is probably just playing out a silly fear- it's common for me to have the worst dreams of stuff happening in my classroom that I know would NEVER happen. I think we care so much for our kiddos and for being a profession that our brains act out like this because of some fears that we don't realize that is there.

At least you know that you would never abandon your students like that :)

13. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Sep 15, 2012

I can't recall any crazy teaching dreams, but I will say this: any crazy dream that I've had (that I could remember vividly) occured while I was pregnant!

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 16, 2012

Me too!!

15. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Sep 16, 2012

Good Grief! I had a parallel dream to yours just this past August! I was very nervous about starting this year; our last group of children had a group of troublemakers that made the year almost unbearable for all of us no matter what we did.

Anyway, I dreamed that I went to have lunch with my aunt in NC. I live in VA. Part way through lunch I realized that I had to be back - lunch is only 25 minutes long. It seemed to take forever to find my car - I was caught in a maze of stair cases and locked doors. I was panicked and trying to figure out an excuse that would make sense to the principal, while at the same time, I was resigned to losing my job - with mixed feelings.

This year's group of students is great by the way.

16. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2012

I apparently was too pleased with my class on Friday, because I had come on here and posted about how amazing they were. That night, I had a dream that they were just horrible!. I was being observed and one girl was not paying any attention but had a huge melt down when she didn't know how to do her assignment. The boys were mouthing off, throwing things, and just being downright naughty!

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 16, 2012

I think that school-related anxiety dreams are pretty common for teachers.

I always seem to have this dream where my school supplies go missing. Some kid in the class has a backpack full of pencils that I'm just positive are mine, but I can't prove it. It upsets me quite a lot. :lol:

18. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2012

Only a teacher would have a nightmare about a backpack full of pencils... :lol:

19. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 16, 2012

I had a dream last night, where I bought a class set of compasses (you know, to draw circles, not the North South ones), and I was walking through the parking lot to my car, and I walked past these people doing something shady from their SUV trunk, like selling stolen car parts or something.

For some reason I dropped the compasses, and then one of them goes around collecting them all. Instead of giving them to me as I expected, he gives them to the woman in the SUV and won't give them back to me. I ask for them back, and the woman throws one at me, and the pointy end of the compass stabbed me in the arm.

I think I threw it back or something because they started chasing me, and I was trying to call 911 on my cell phone but for some reason, because I was using a Blackberry, it kept going to my classroom warm-up powerpoint instead and I was using the keyboard or I kept dialing 991.

Then I woke up. >___>;;

20. gebakat

gebakat Rookie

Sep 16, 2012

I had a dream that I was pregnant. I woke up while screaming "no way" I'm 61. Maybe I should retire! :woot:

21. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 16, 2012

Most of my teacher nightmares have involved being extremely late for work and the kids just sitting there waiting on me or the principal waiting for me in my room OR the naked ones where I'm the only one who realizes I'm naked.

22. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Sep 16, 2012

:lol: I don't think I'll view basketball the same way for a few months! My first year I had a dream where the class locked me out of the room and put all the desks in a huge pile. Someone lit the pile of desks on fire because they were starting a "revolution" of sort. I'm so glad I'm not alone in my crazy dreams!