Teacher Moms-what to do with YOUR kids?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by hanvan, Sep 22, 2013.

1. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Sep 22, 2013

Wasn't sure what to title this...

I went back into the classroom after 6 years at home. I have a 1st grader and a kindergartener. I am teaching at a nearby district (school is about 15 min away). I decided to take my girls with me this year thinking it would be easier to have them with me.

In many ways it is. We all leave together, come home together and I'm not spending money on childcare. My girls see me throughout the day.

But it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. My youngest is BUSY! So sitting in my room isn't "enough" for you after sitting in her own classroom all day. She needs to run, jump, and play. Needless to say I get very little done and she stays in trouble for getting into everything.

Plus as they get older transportation to and from jr high/high school might be a lot harder.

So, what do other teacher moms do? Same school or neighborhood school??

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2013

When I returned to work, I emailed everyone I knew. I outlined my childcare needs: someone to be at my house at 7, finish getting the kids together for school and get them on the bus at 8, and someone (the same person, preferably, though 2 would do) to meet the bus at 3:10, get the kids a snack and get homework started. (Also, at that point, it involved watching my 3 year old all day long.)

The mom of one of my son's friends found me someone. She's not someone I would have thought of asking, but she was on my email list.

She found me her cousin's sitter, Helen. Helen has watched both sets of kids ever since. She's a mom in her 50's whose kids are grown. And she's worth every single dime we pay her.

4. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Sep 22, 2013

All of our teachers with elementary-age students bring their children to our school. We have computers and iPads in our rooms, so the kids often do something on those. Or, let's say teacher A and teacher B have kids who are close in age. One day, they might go to teacher A's classroom to hang out together, and to teacher B's classroom the next.

Edit: Most classrooms have some kind of games/toys available for days when there is inside recess, so even if there weren't computers, there would be something to do.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 22, 2013

That's what happened at the elementary school where I worked.

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 22, 2013

As a teacher dad, my daughter isn't of school-age yet, but I don't anticipate bringing her to my school when the time comes. I tend to keep long hours, and the teacher-parents in my school tend to be overly involved. Our math coach would randomly pop in to her child's room to give him messages throughout the day or sit with him for a few minutes. Very inappropriate and unprofessional.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2013

In my experience, teachers' children have free rein of the school after dismissal and I've not particularly liked five, seven, ten, twelve, fifteen year old students running all over the school, often being very distracting to teachers meeting with parents, clubs, and so forth. That said, I think it's great when students kind of rotate among the parents' rooms and meet there. It gives them social and fun time instead of having their faces plastered to a screen of some sort and there is supervision.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2013

My kids went to their neighbourhood school; I never considered anything different. Alex was in grade 5 when I went back to work full-time, so he was able to come home by himself; he called me as soon as he got home, and my school was only 10 minutes from home. I also made sure he was up and ready to leave for school before I left in the morning. Lauren was only in grade 1, and the mom of a good friend of hers did before and after school care for me.

9. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Sep 22, 2013

I work about 30 minutes from my house. My son's school is about 1 minute from our house. I teach at a middle school, and he is still in elementary. He goes to the school where we live. I didn't want him to be in a car for an hour a day. Also, it's nice for him to go to school where he lives. If it were the same distance, and I taught elementary, I'd probably just put him at my school. Does your school have an after school program? Maybe you could try enrolling the kiddos in that program.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2013

My daughter goes to the after school program.

11. kab164

kab164 Companion

Sep 22, 2013

I was a stay at home mom and started with my current job when my daughter was in 3rd grade. She was in my school which is 10 mins from where we live. I've never had trouble with her after school. She'd hang out with other teachers' kids and they didn't get in trouble. Sometimes she would do her homework or read in my room. She also liked to help teachers with little jobs.

12. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Sep 22, 2013

I went back to teaching when my youngest was in 6th grade. Both of my kids were involved in Y programs and sports, so that took care of what to do after school.

13. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2013

I have seen a variety of scenarios, some that worked, some that didn't. When my kids were young, I had a half time position so I was always available to pick them up. I think it is important to know your child and be ready to change if it isn't working.

I have seen some teachers' children be hellions after school, which the other teachers hated. As result, the principal started a new policy and all staff children had to go to the after school program or leave campus, which hurt the ones who behaved. I have also seen staff children who were very respectful and helpful, but it was a problem with them being unsupervised if there was a staff meeting, conference, etc. I have also seen teachers rush out at the end of the day (which is their right) because their kids couldn't stand staying, but the parent really wanted to be able to stay and prep.

There is no one right answer to this issue - trial and error, I guess.

14. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Sep 23, 2013

This is technically a policy in our district, but many principals choose to overlook it. Our teachers know that if their children run rampant, the principal can enforce the policy.

15. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Sep 23, 2013

My kids are four and two, so we haven't had this experience quite YET. I teach at our neighborhood school, so my son will join me when he starts kinder next year. I anticipate having him in the classroom with me in the morning, then I'll have him in Extended Day (the after school program) for an hour or so in the afternoons while I prep.

16. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 23, 2013

My kids have always gone to the neighborhood schools. We were fortunate that our school had a late start and therefore a late dismissal.

We had to do a variety of things such as use a neighbor who ran a day care out of her home and another neighbor who would bring my daughter home and watch her for 10 or 15 min. before I got home.

It got easier when they were old enough to stay home alone for 30-45 min. by themselves. We've always had a neighbor that was home during the day that was willing to be a place the kids could go if there was an emergency.

17. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Sep 23, 2013

boy am I complicated... I have 3 kids and NONE of them are in the same place during the day.

I teach in a district about 45 minutes from home now (was in a district 1.5 hours away).

Child #1: My husband will NOT let our oldest son (1st grader) transfer from his school, which is one mile from our house. So my son has never been in either district I have worked for. After school, he rides the bus home and goes next door where my inlaws live.

Child #2: My inlaws will keep the baby, he is 6 weeks old, when I go back to work Wednesday (been out with the baby). So he too will be in my town of residence 45 minutes from me.

Child #3: And our 2 1/2 year has just started a daycare about 10 minutes from work. So he will be in the same town as me, but won't come to the school or anything--I will just swing by and pick him up.

18. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

Sep 23, 2013

Both of my kids went to the elementary school where I teach. My son is in middle school now. They either were brought in or picked up by their father, or they went to on-site care before and after. It was 50%off for school employees, so it was very affordable. My kids would behave fine in my room, but they would really distract me-it doesn't take much, as I have ADD. I loved having them at the school-it allowed me to be involved even though I couldn't volunteer in their classrooms or go on field trips. I did not interrupt in their classrooms, though!

19. SashaBear

SashaBear Companion

Sep 25, 2013

I'm a sub so I leave soon after the day is over. I don't hang around usually. When I get my own classroom (when, not if), I worry about this. Most likely I will have to get a job outside of my children's current district since we are on a hiring freeze and broke.