Teacher married to a teacher?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Annie227, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Jul 28, 2008

I was just curious as to how many of you married another teacher.
    Also, how do you deal with summers?
    I love my husband dearly, but by this point in the summer I can't wait to start working in my classroom just to have a little bit of personal space.

3. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jul 28, 2008

I am not married to a teacher. We had a teacher leave our school a few years ago to go work at the same school as her husband. I am so glad to have the summer by myself! I love quiet time alone!

4. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 28, 2008

I am married to a nurse...he works nights and I work days...we spend our evenings together with the kiddos....I do not know how I would feel about being married to another teacher? :dunno:

5. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 28, 2008

I am a 8th grade teacher and my husband works an hour away at a hospital same here. We have our evenings :)

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 28, 2008

I'm not married to a teacher. I think most of us would love it...at the beginning of the relationship, but after that honeymoon period wears off, we'll wish we had the house to ourselves. A couple really has to get along well to not mind having summers off together.

7. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2008

I went on two dates with a teacher/coach and that's all I could take! He didn't have that great of a personality to begin with and there were a couple times where I felt him in competition with me when we spoke of education.

8. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 28, 2008

I know a couple of couples who are teachers, and I will say this...I have heard more than one "conversation" about differences in opinion...from classroom decor to teaching methods....converstions I am glad I do not have! One couple I know that seems to have it figured out is where the dad works at a local University, and the mom works at an Elementary school...not a lot of "similar" curriculum or anything...and they seem to be REALLY happy!

9. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

I'm married to a teacher, but I work on a traditional calendar and he works on a year round one so we only have about 4 weeks together for the summer - then I'm free to be lazy and work on school stuff without the lectures, and being pregnant, I can nap without hearing about it also:D

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 28, 2008

Just a few wks off together should work out perfectly!...It would for me! Any more than that & you start getting on each other's nerves.

11. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 28, 2008

My husband is a custodian in our system but he works all summer but 2 weeks. It is nice having some time alone... just me and Emily... good girl time to play, hang out, etc. :)

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 28, 2008

Just thought of something. One perk in our county system. If spouses work together within the county, they get free health insurance. That saves us $130+ a month there! Woooohoooooo!!!

13. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 28, 2008

yes, that'd definitely be worth it...I would send my husband back to school for free hi...wow, great benefits there! Good for you!

14. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

Both DH & I are teachers at the same school. I love having breaks off with him. We're one of those wierd couples that is still in the honeymoon stage after eight years. LOL

15. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 28, 2008

My hubby and I are still in that stage too, married 7 years this past June...I do like it when he comes to the school to hve lunch with me...a rare treat, but def. a treat! :blush:

16. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2008

I'm married to a teacher. He is beginning his first teaching job this fall. Our plan is to travel together with our son next summer.

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2008

My hubby and I have been married 6 years and still act like we're on our honeymoon. He's talked about going back to school for teaching. I would love that!

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 28, 2008

My husband isn't a teacher. He's a musician. That means he's home a good portion of the time on weekdays. He's not used to having me around when he's trying to get the housework done, and I'm not used to having him around all the time either. We're usually fine for a couple of weeks and then it gets a bit old.

Just last week we talked about how if I didn't go back to work or he didn't get back on the road we'd kill each other. LOL

19. MsJen

MsJen Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

:lol: It's nice reading some of your stories. I am not married, but I do live my BF. I LOVE having summers off and we do spend most of our time together at home (but not doing things together). He's going back to school, so he spends most of his days studying and busy with school work, if he's not doing that he's playing his game or on the computer.

We are very good about giving each other space. I think that's what makes it work for us. :D

20. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2008

My Ex was teacher and summers were great we traveled to the midwest, to California beaches, we went camping, we would go to the movies too bad it wasn't summer all year long

21. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jul 29, 2008

I would love it if my DH were a teacher. Unfortunately, due to my experiences and stories, I doubt he will EVER consider teaching!!

If we had the whole summer off I don't really see us sitting around the house. I am pretty sure we would be renting a house on the beach or camping in the woods. Backpacking Europe would be another option I don't think I would get sick of. We definately would not be sitting around here staring at each other.

22. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 29, 2008

Married to a teacher...moved to the same school two years ago. He is on a 11 1/2 month contract, so he still reports to the school during the summer. So He drives me in when I go work in my room. He also works on my big projects (painted my shelves and file cabinet just this week) because he is required to be at work, but there isn't always a lot for him to do. He spends about four weeks of his summer taking teenagers to different camps. When I taught at my former school, our schedules didn't match. That was harder. This is better for my family.

23. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 29, 2008

I was just thinking marrying a teacher would be perfect because you could travel over the summer!! :)

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 29, 2008

I wouldn't mind if my bf became a teacher. I've suggested to him a couple times that he should be an art teacher, since he's an artist, but I don't think it will ever happen.

25. AlliBob

AlliBob Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

I'm married to a high school teacher and I teach first grade. I absolutely love being married to a teacher. Having the summer off together it great. We have traveled and spent a lot of time together. It is nice to have someone at home who understands what teaching is like and helps you through the bad days. I wouldn't have it any other way. :D

26. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 29, 2008

We were hoping to travel some, but we're so dang broke that it's pitiful! LOL Hopefully in a couple of years we'll have some debit paid off and doc bills paid off, too.

27. Mr. D.

Mr. D. Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

I actually got married last Christmas Eve to a teacher at my school. She teaches 4th grade and I teach 6th. It is great because we have the same schedule, can travel, and actually even retire the same year. During the school day we are in opposite ends of the building so we rarely bump into each other. It does save on gas as well!!!

28. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 29, 2008

I would it if my dh were a teacher. We could travel in the summer. What bliss. But he has a great job now, so I'm not complaining.

29. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jul 29, 2008

I'm not married to a teacher. But I have worked in 2 different work places with my husband, one I met him at and the other I got him a job at. We work in two separate departments so we only see each other when we make a point to.
    I love getting to go out to lunch with him and it's so convenient to talk to him by just calling his extension. We get home late so we only have time to make then eat dinner and watch some TV. I love spending time with him though. :)

30. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 29, 2008

This thread inspired me to call my husband. He has a lot of vacation time saved up, and I'll have next summer off. I told him we need to plan a backpacking trip to South America or Asia. He totally agreed. Hooray for actually doing things instead of just talking about them!

31. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jul 29, 2008

Hehe, way to go Jem! :) I think summers off with my husband would be wonderful as well...we could both take a relaxing vacation...ahhh. We spend a lot of time together but we very rarely get on each other's nerves...so I guess that's why I wouldn't mind having months off with him. :)

32. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 29, 2008

I'm married to a teacher. It's been nice doing little dates during the day like a matinee or lunch out if the kids are at camp. We signed them up for three different weeks of camp just to give them some fun stuff to do, and give us some time at home just the two of us. We've gotten lots of chores done too. I prefer that he's here at home and either doing stuff or relaxing as opposed to being at work and expecting me to have been productive the whole day. As fellow teachers we both understand the summer brings necessary down time.

33. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jul 29, 2008

I used to teach Language Arts in a middle school, and my husband still teaches calculus in the high school. (Both schools were in the same system.) It was wonderful to have all of our summers and vacation days the same! It sure made child-raising easier, too. The kids went to school with me from K-8, and with him from 9-12.

34. slinkytoy

slinkytoy Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

My husband and I teach at the same school. We are not in the same hall, so we seldom see each other during the school day. In the summer, we work on our home some, but we both have a lot of other activities that we are involved in so we don't really spend a lot of time together. We have to take a vacation to get 'alone' time!

35. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

My boyfriend and I work at the same school (that's where we met and began our relationship). I don't mind us having the summer off together because we can plan trips together. Besides, there are various PD opportunities and workshops available that we are usually doing something to occupy our time besides seeing each other. Question to those who have married a teacher from the same building: was it weird for you and how have the students taken it? We feel like the kids in our building are too immature and we keep our relationship very private because of it.

36. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Jul 30, 2008

That's the spirit Dave! :D

I know many couples of teachers, and they look happy together. My fiancé and I will hopefully become a couple of teachers as well.

I don't see anything wrong with marrying a teacher. I'm sure there are many of couples of lawyers, doctors, etc...