Teacher marks a student down 20% - for being a loser!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by McKennaL, Mar 12, 2010.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 12, 2010

3. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Mar 12, 2010

There is difference between relating to students, and lowering yourself to their level. It could be seen as a joke within the classroom, but I believe that calling a student a "loser" steps WAY over teacher-student boundaries. So sad.

4. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Mar 12, 2010

Ugh exactly. I am not job searching yet but know many who are, and when I hear about bad teachers doing ridiculous things, or even teachers who just don't care this is the same question I ask. With such a competitive job market, I really wish the better teachers who are unemployed would get those jobs instead. So not fair. :(

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 13, 2010

Wow! That teacher should have LOSER tattooed on his forehead. :eek:

6. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Mar 13, 2010

I don't understand how some people think. I can't even fathom his rational how could he think it would be ok to write that to his student?

7. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Mar 13, 2010

This took place in the district where I grew up. Unbelievable.

8. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Mar 13, 2010

Saw that story online. Gives us all a bad name!! Hate to read stuff like this!

9. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Mar 13, 2010

:eek:

10. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Mar 13, 2010

The Yahoo story refers to some parents and students speaking out in favor of the teacher to a local media outlet. Here is a link to the local TV station and the story they have.

Teacher Controversy at Enka Middle School

I read their article earlier today and I still cannot fathom how a teacher marking "-20% for being a LOSER" on the paper of a 6th grader could be considered a joke. It is simply inexcusable. :naughty:

This is only about 100 miles from where I live and is one of the districts I could conceivably submit an application to. In one respect, I would like to hear the teachers side to see how he could possibly justify thinking this was an acceptable thing to do. Even if it was meant as a joke (which I have trouble believing), a joke isn't funny when it offends or hurts some one.

At the very least, the teacher should write a formal letter of apology to the girl and her mother and also face a possible suspension. A more fitting consequence would be for the teacher to be marked "-20% for being a LOSER" on his annual evaluation. :down:

11. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 13, 2010

12. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2010

It's scary how many of them are agreeing that this child will have a very difficult time in middle school now and also in high school if she stays in the area.....am I the only one who reads this as a threat? How is this child supposed to go to school there any more?

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 13, 2010

I'm absolutely appalled by this situation. Middle school students are so fragile as it is (ALL students are fragile)-an ADULT calling them a loser in WRITING is beyond horrific. And the support by PARENTS on the Facebook page is beyond my understanding. Not to mention the blame being put on this mother who had asked the teacher directly to stop before he did it a SECOND time and she brought it to the media. I just can't make 'great teacher' and 'writing 'loser' on a paper' fit in my head. It actually makes my brain hurt. I wish I could see a video of him defending himself.

14. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Mar 14, 2010

If he's done this many times, the girl knew he was joking. She just didn't think it was funny. And if the teacher can't figure that out, he's an idiot.

If he's been told before by this mother to stop, and he doesn't, he's an idiot.

Sounds like he needs to be officially reprimanded, but I don't think it's a career-ending mistake. He needs to learn to relate to his kids in other ways.

15. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Mar 14, 2010

I saw this story on the news. The mother of the girl was wearing a camo shirt and had very poor English; however, that does not give me nor anyone else the right to make fun of that person. Just like no matter what the girl has done in class, the teacher has no right to say or write anything about this child. It reminds me of my 4th grade teacher. She changed my last name to "whiney" in front of the whole class to make fun of me. The name stuck even through high school. Yet another reason why I went into teaching....to be a different and better teacher than all the ones I had for a difficult child like myself.

16. ILoveMyCello

ILoveMyCello Companion

Mar 14, 2010

I knew someone who taught there a year and left-no wonder why.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2010

So sad. :(

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2010

I'm sorry, you totally lost me here.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2010

Yet you felt the need to point it out?:confused:

20. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Mar 14, 2010

This situation is so sad. As teachers we are supposed to help students with their self-esteem, not tear them down. Wow!