"Teacher Look"

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Christine3, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Feb 9, 2007

Is the "teacher look" affective? If the student does not catch on . . . then verbally reprimand? Anyone have examples of when and when not to use it.
    thanks!

3. goopp

goopp Devotee

Feb 9, 2007

I use it all the time. It's VERY effective for most kids.

4. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 9, 2007

It's effective if you follow through with it when needed.

5. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Feb 9, 2007

It's work very well but I'm still perfecting mine. My mentor uses her teacher look as the first warning and if she has to verbally reprimand it comes with some sort of punishment. Her teacher look is way better than mine is though.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 9, 2007

Teacher looks are only as good as the belief that something will happen if they don't follow it. In other words if you establish a clear consequence after that teacher look enough times, it doesn't take long before they heed it with a wide path. Some kids, however, will heed it anyways because they never want to find out.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 9, 2007

I got the teacher look before teaching when I started dating my husband. :)

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2007

Absolutely. If the kids know there is no consequence, nothing works. There's got to be followup.

9. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Feb 9, 2007

The Teacher Look is not only effective in school - I have used it in supermarkets, playgrounds and on public transport. It's great to silently reprimand kids whose parents don't/won't do it themselves.

It's also effective to redirect behaviour when visitors are in the class, or speakers, and you don't want to interrupt them or draw attention to yourself.

If my "look" is not noticed by the subject in class, I wait. Some more observant child will usually nudge them. Once they look, I raise my eyebrow ("No! No! Not THE eyebrow!" as my teenaged son cries <lol> - it doesn't work on him any more). Then I just go on with my work.

If the look doesn't work, then I ask what the problem is - if there is one, we solve it, if there isn't I redirect verbally. I usually only use the look for minor stuff where speaking would be too disruptive. It's a great tool to develop, but I note not all teachers have one.

10. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Feb 10, 2007

Thanks for your tips everyone!

11. CmsTigerGuy

CmsTigerGuy Rookie

Feb 10, 2007

Mine can even feel my "thousand-yard stare" when they're not facing me. It's very effective, but students must know that action will follow the stare.

12. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2007

I've found children noticing the "teacher look" in me when I am in a store and they're running like wild dogs. It seems I give off a "teacher aura" instead......hmm

13. srh

srh Devotee

Feb 10, 2007

Sometimes when I use The Look, I almost feel guilty because the student(s) looks so scared. I must have an effective look!! :-D

14. grade1teacher

grade1teacher Companion

Feb 10, 2007

funny - I was just describing my look to a friend and she said "wow, you really have that thing down to a science don't you??"

15. MollyT

MollyT Companion

Feb 11, 2007

Once had a student who said he had looked in his big tray for his maths book and couldnt find it ..

When I looked ..... it was THE ONLY THING IN THERE!!!!

Oops, wrong kinda look! ... Although I guess I gave this student "the Teacher Look" after I had "a teacher look" in his tray .... hehehe.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  16. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Feb 11, 2007

Yes! That is what happened the one student froze and stared back at me. I felt kind of bad too, but it has been working. Its better because I don't have to interrupt the lesson flow.

17. educatingme

educatingme Companion

Feb 11, 2007

I'm not even a teacher and yet, I have a "teacher look" that works very well. One student told the teacher, when I reprimanded him with "the look" in the cafeteria, "She gave me that scary look!"