Teacher leaving this Friday

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jan 17, 2015

I posted earlier regarding a 6th grade teacher who was leaving. He got his official notice from the place where he'll be employed so he sent out a school-wide email that his last day is Friday. He specifically told us not to say anything to the students so we won't. My concern will be with the students because he won't tell them until his last day. The 1st teacher from 6th grade who left told them a few days earlier before she left. She was one with all 6th grade classes and the teacher leaving also had all 6th grade. Therefore, there will be a large percentage of 6h graders losing 2 teachers within 4 months. After the 1st one left, some in my classes said, "Don't leave us, Mr. Xxxxxx". :(

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 17, 2015

If I was leaving before the school year was up, I'd want to tell my students about 2-3 days ahead of time.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 17, 2015

You can give stability and security to your students by simply staying and not leaving them. Also explain to them the teachers didn't abandon them, it's just that in life sometimes we must take a different turn and it is necessary.

I can see why a teacher wouldn't want to tell the students he'll be leaving until towards the end, but I would give them at least a few days to let it sink and process it.

5. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jan 17, 2015

Well, I wondered the same thing when he said he would wait. I have a feeling he's gonna spill before Friday. Probably Thursday..

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 17, 2015

In one school I have worked at we weren't allowed to tell the students if we left early. The P just introduced the replacement teacher on their first day. The reasoning given for this was that they didn't want parent complaints. :confused:

7. El sol

El sol Rookie

Jan 17, 2015

This reminds me of that one teacher who wanted to leave one school for a nicer one before the year started and then the thread disappeared.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 18, 2015

I wouldn't blame a teacher for wanting to leave for a better job. I doubt the kids would feel abandoned if they knew why the teacher left. A day's notice should be fine. These are secondary students who the teacher saw one period per day. The kids will get over it.

9. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jan 18, 2015

Yes, a better job with a salary bump of 12K. :thumb:

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 18, 2015

Lucky guy!

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 18, 2015

I had to tell my students I was leaving - at the END of the year, by the way - and they STILL drove me nuts begging me to stay. I was flattered, and it was cute, but after a few days I was over it. I totally understand why you wouldn't want to tell them early.

12. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2015

If my teacher said I'm leaving for a better job, bye! I'd feel a little abandoned and unimportant. Not that I wouldn't get over it, but still.

13. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Jan 18, 2015

I never got to tell my students at my last school I was leaving -- I got my new offer a week after school ended. I still feel guilty sometimes...but I wonder if any of them ever thought twice about it!

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 19, 2015

Younger students might have a hard time with it but by the time they're in high school I would hope they'd realize everything isn't always about them. The teacher isn't "abandoning" them because they are terrible students but because he has to take the best opportunities out there for his own life and well being of his family. I would tell them I would miss them but staying at a job just so the students won't feel unimportant or so they can have stability is just unrealistic.

15. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jan 19, 2015

Keep in mind, these are 6th graders who may be losing their 2nd teacher in a matter of 4 months. Yes, those who got a new ELA teacher took a few days to absorb. And yes, they will eventually get over it. My thoughts will mainly be with the wee fragile ones. Some cried the 1st time it happened. Now, it's happening again.