Teacher Leaders

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Rhi, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Rhi

Rhi New Member

Apr 21, 2019

Many schools are starting to use “Teacher Leaders” as a way to help support staff within is a school. Does anyone have “teacher leaders” within their school? If so, do you feel they are effective? How are they used?

Teacher leaders can play many different roles within a school. After reading the following article I realized there were many ways in which teacher leaders can help lead a school.

Article: "Ten Roles for Teacher Leaders" by Cindy Harrison and Joellen Killion

Thoughts on teacher leaders within schools?

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 22, 2019

I am the Teacher Trainer at my school and am seen as the link between the administration and the faculty. Hopefully I'm effective! :whistle:

4. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Apr 22, 2019

My school district used to have Teacher Leaders, who are now called Instructional Coaches. The ICs my first year teaching were amazing -- one of them was my mentor teacher as well and I honestly wouldn't have made it through the year without him. He was fantastic and SO good at his job.
    The ICs now are great people but their jobs have been restructured in a way that makes it impossible for them to really help teachers as needed, and it's nearly impossible to actually schedule times for them to come do coaching cycles.

mrsf70 likes this.
  5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 22, 2019

We have had teacher leaders for years. I was part of the district superintendent’s leadership group in 2014, but I was doing leadership activities within the school before that. I have done trainings and mentoring. It has also been a liaison between staff and admin.

We get way better buy in from staff when things come from coworkers rather than outside sources.

6. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 22, 2019

This is how it is at my school. It is not helpful in the way that it is structured. We also have several teachers with more experience than the IC and those teachers often have resentment over being told how to "improve" by someone that they do not necessarily consider a master teacher. I could see it being a beneficial setup but only if it were implemented correctly with proper funding and commitment from all involved.

mrsf70 likes this.
  7. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Apr 23, 2019

I understand the benefit of teacher leaders or coaches could have in theory but (like a lot of things in my district) I have not seen it executed effectively. Most we have instructional coaches who babysit the teachers at our school during planning periods and come up with other tasks to justify their job. They way they function here makes it nearly impossible to collaborate effectively with them since they want you to not develop a practice that does not match what they did in their classroom years ago. Furthermore, I do feel that the role could be of great benefit to new teachers but there is a lack of trust as everything done poorly is reported to the administration. Why would anyone want to share their weaknesses with and try to make improvements with someone who could or will use that info against you?

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 24, 2019

I'm not sure if it's the same thing but we have Lead Teachers. They don't do a heck of a lot except for helping new teachers who also have mentors.