Teacher is doing elapsed time in first grade....is this too advanced for them???

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by thesub, May 28, 2010.

1. thesub

thesub Comrade

May 28, 2010

My son's first grade teacher is having a math test next week.
    She has sent a study guide and I think it is for this test. I am not sure what else it is for. This guide includes problems for elapsed time like:

"It is 10.15. Your math class begins at 11.00. How many minutes until math class begins."

Next problems: Divide the hexagon into 1/6s. Color 4/6. What is another name for 4/6?

I am furious because she sends home very simple homeworks. I never found these problems on the homework. Now suddenly they are on the test???? My DS lacks speed in math and I have to drill him. The teacher has been only telling me to practise simple addition and subtraction, telling time to quarter, half-hour and 3/4s.
    Now how am I to teach these multiple steps problems over the weekend?????? Do you guys have any ideas?

Thanks so much,
    thesub

3. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 28, 2010

I taught my kids elapsed time and some of them got it. I only did it for my advanced learners to challenge them. The hexagon stuff I would never send home!

For time its only 10 o clock and 10:30. I teach them 10:15, 1:40 but they do not need to know elapsed time.

4. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 28, 2010

4th graders have trouble getting elapsed time!!

Could it possibly be sent home by mistake? Let us know, now I am curious.

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

May 28, 2010

wow - we only teach time to the hour and half-hour. Elapsed time is taught starting in 3rd grade for our district.

I would address your concerns with the teacher. I have no idea why she would send that home... who sends study guides to 1st graders anyway? (Did not mean to offend anyone if they do that here...)

6. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

May 28, 2010

Is this an advanced class? I teach advanced 1st graders, but have not even touched on elapsed time yet.

7. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

May 28, 2010

Elapsed Time is a 2nd grade standard, not a 1st grade standard. 1st grade standard on time is hour, half hour and relate time to events (shorter, longer, before, longer(

8. thesub

thesub Comrade

May 29, 2010

Thank you everyone

I will definitely keep you posted. I have e-mailed the teacher and let know what happened.

9. busybeeZ

busybeeZ Rookie

May 31, 2010

The first grade at my school does elapsed time. It is a difficult concept, but because its in the textbook, which we chose because it was more difficult, they do it.

Good luck!

10. thesub

thesub Comrade

Jun 1, 2010

but I did not see elapsed time and another name for hexagon even in the Everyday Mathematics SRB. Would the teacher go out of the textbook for the advanced students??? Anyway, hopefully the teacher will reply to my e-mail.

11. MrsKP

MrsKP Companion

Jun 1, 2010

I don't think she meant another name for hexagon, but another name for 4/6 (2/3)... if they have been doing it in class, your son MIGHT be able to recognize that it is 2/3 after coloring it in. Simplifying fractions seems pretty advanced for a first grader!!!

I'm not sure where you are, but this close to the end of the year it could be possible that she is looking at second grade standards and introducing students to the more complicated things they will be faced with next year. Maybe they will have a clock and have been taught to count by fives to do elapsed time?

12. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Jun 1, 2010

I only expect my students to demonstrate understanding of elapsed time to the hour and half hour... though sometimes I like to challenge some of my higher students with more difficult problems like the one you mentioned (though I'd NEVER put it on a test).

13. thesub

thesub Comrade

Jun 2, 2010

teacher replied.......

Here's what my son's teacher e-mailed me," elapsed time paper will not be on the test. However, this is something the children should be able to do with the aide of a clock. We did review this in class. With fractions, he should be able to tell me another name for 4/6. This we have been working on in class all of the time-for the last several weeks."

I asked her if she was doing these topics for the advanced students or to prepare the kids for 2nd grade. She has not replied to this.
    But what do you all think? If it is not in the Everyday Mathematics SRB, could she still teach these topics?

Thanks,
    thesub

14. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2010

I would take a look at the standards for your state and see if it's a 1st grade expectation.

You can usually find them online.

15. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jun 3, 2010

Isn't this what teachers have been doing since time immemorial? Standards are just that, not the only thing that must be taught. Kids are smarter than we give them credit for.

16. thesub

thesub Comrade

Jun 3, 2010

Irissa: Maybe what you say is true but my DS makes lots of careless mistakes in math and needs lots practice at home.
    This teacher did not send any elapsed material/hexagon-name stuff home or even mention these topics. Whenever I asked her what to work with DS at home, she'd say addition, subtraction facts, period. So I am upset.

If this was all happening to my older DD,I'd not be upset at all. DD is more focused in math.

17. teacher112

teacher112 Companion

Jun 3, 2010

I teach first grade and we us e Everyday Math. The program likes to "expose" students to future content, such as elapsed time and equivalent fractions. These lessons are just intended for exposure, and they should not be assessed on them.