Teacher is always coming into my class while I'm subbing

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by MrsL74, Nov 6, 2019.

1. MrsL74

MrsL74 Rookie

Nov 6, 2019

Hi,
    I'm rather new to subbing, began in September, and I'm really enjoying it.
    I've been subbing about 4 days a week for TK-6th at 3 different schools. At one school there is a teacher that tends to find his way to my class even though I haven't subbed for his class yet. He's a 6th grade teacher and will somehow find his way over no matter the grade I'm at. He's always either making sure that particular class is behaving (known for behavior issues), asking a student a question, asking about my teachers directions and if I have any questions about it. I'm not sure it he's just odd, involved in all the classrooms, strangely helpful, noisy, or if I'm dealing with something else. I have noticed that several of the teachers call him over for help, so maybe he's been conditioned to being the "hero" for the day? Although I'm new to subbing, I'm not new to a work environment, I'm a 45 yo retired biologist.

With the other two schools I sub at, I never get visited any other teachers in the classroom.
    I'm always professional and keep the conversations to a minimal...honestly I'm super busy and he's disruptive to the lessons.

Anyways, I'm just wondering if this is normal behavior.
    Big thanks!

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Nov 6, 2019

There are probably more reasons for this than you could shake a stick at, but it is kind of telling when you mention that several of the teachers ask him for help. He could be taking classes to become an administrator, and he is using what they are studying in classrooms in his school. Perhaps he is the "go to guy" for mild behaviors that can be fixed in the classroom instead of escalating to something that is truly troublesome - many schools tend to have one of these. Actually, many subs would kill to have a regular staff member even talk to them - that's a common complaint among new subs. What you see as obtrusive others may actually be grateful for.

Unless he crosses lines and becomes unprofessional, my guess is you are just "lucky". If you are in this district often, you might discreetly ask about the teacher in a non-confrontational way, or just continue to observe his actions. Realistically, if he truly bothers you, you might want to prioritize this district to number 3 on your list when it comes to seeking or accepting jobs. At the middle school level, male teachers are often seen as an authority figure and kind of utilized as a bit of a disciplinarian. He alluded to this in his comment about checking on behavior in a class that is known for misbehaving. I've known several male teachers who kind of get morphed into being "almost admin" because they are more available than actual admin.

What you don't mention is whether you are getting any vibe that he is more into you than the class. That, of course, would be something very different.

4. MrsL74

MrsL74 Rookie

Nov 6, 2019

Ahhh ok I could totally see it from the perspective that he's "almost admin" or taking classes to become an administrator. For a while he just seemed really noisy. Since I've started, no one really talks to me, that's why it was so weird that he kept coming into my classes when he has a class to teach. I don't get a vibe that he's into me...just more into my classes. Which works out just great.
    Thank you for sharing your knowledge, I appreciate it.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Nov 6, 2019

You know, he might be a great person to have around if he will let you pick his brain a bit. If he is "hero as needed" or someone that the school trusts to handle some "things", you can often get some real insight into what admin or other teachers are doing that may be desirable or less so from the perspective of someone who successfully straddles both sides of the fence. I have met similar male teachers, but almost always in MS. The male teachers at the HS level are, in my experience, more willing to stay out of your way, only providing help if they are specifically asked for the help. The younger elementary grades around me seldom have any male teachers, so I may have thought, in the past, I could expect the ones who are around to be similar to the male MS teachers, but, they are not. In my experience, these male teachers who are either admin in training or heroes as needed are generally wonderful people to learn from, and I always considered them great friends to have. I was only concerned if this teacher was crossing any boundaries that would not be good for anyone concerned. On the face of it, based on your information, I would appreciate having this kind of "got your back" friend. Enjoy subbing - I know that I truly loved it!

6. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 7, 2019

You are lucky. It sounds like he really isn't overly intrusive or critical. I wonder if he does with this all of the subs every day?

Having a teacher pop in every now and then tells the kids that they are noticed by others outside of the classroom. I think it is a great tone for a school to set when there are subs.

7. artiste7

artiste7 Rookie

Nov 9, 2019

If he wants to come in, he can. Always have your agenda copied from the sub plans on the white board so whoever comes in can clearly see what is being done. I also use a round magnet like a bullet point and move it down to wherever we are during the day, either one that's already there, or i have my own collection from Dollar Tree. As long as he's not being rude to you, it's just something to deal with however you do, as long as you are going to be at that school. All the best!

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 9, 2019

We often stop by other rooms and check when there is a sub in the room. We don't do it to be critical, but we do it so (A) the kids know that we are watching and (B) the sub knows that we are around if they need us in case they aren't sure who to ask.

A few times we have had super high-maintenance kids who don't do well with different people, so we have gone to a room and taken that student with us.

MrsC likes this.
  9. MrsL74

MrsL74 Rookie

Nov 11, 2019

Ah, that's a good point I didn't even think of, that he's letting the kids know he's watching.

You know, I did ask several other subs if he visits their classrooms as well. These are the subs who have been subbing for a few years. Turns out he doesn't. In fact, they were surprised since they've subbed there more often than I and he's never entered their class rooms.
    I'm going to take this has he's just trying to be helpful.

10. MrsL74

MrsL74 Rookie

Nov 11, 2019

I would never tell him he can't come into the classroom. I wouldn't ask any teacher or faculty member to not come into the classroom. I keep the teachers agenda on the teachers desk. Generally, I make a copy so I can write all over it and keep track of the day. At the end of the day I leave a detailed note from my chicken scratch for the teacher.

He's not in any way rude, in fact he's generally complimenting my teaching skills. It just struck me as strange since no other teacher or faculty has made a habit of dropping by. I was just wondering if this was normal. And it seems that it is, so I'm not concerned.

I love the school and the kids are great! so all is well :)

Thank you so much for your input. I really appreciate it!

11. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 12, 2019

Could he just like you? Not in a creepy way. He may just be trying to get to know you better.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 12, 2019

I wouldn't mind as long as this person wasn't interrupting me while I was talking to the class or taking my attention away from the students. It could be this person is scoping out potential subs for his own class and wants to see how you handle the class?

13. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 12, 2019

Maybe say "Thanks for checking on me! If I need any help, I know where to find you! It is great to have such helpful staff here."

14. MrsL74

MrsL74 Rookie

Nov 12, 2019

:) this is basically what I've been doing. I've been tossing a vague question when I can, just to kinda make him feel helpful. I'm more the type to cultivate any bridges I can find.
    I might really need his help one day :)

Thank you!

SpecialPreskoo likes this.