Teacher Interview Questions

Discussion in 'General Education' started by newtoschool, Apr 5, 2008.

1. newtoschool

newtoschool Rookie

Apr 5, 2008

Hello.... I have not posted on this group in such a long time! It seems that with a new baby and first year teachign job I have no time for anyting anymore. Thank you in advance for your help! :)

I am thinking about going from private to public school and was wondering if anyone out there has any questions that might be asked of me when I go to interview.

3. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Apr 6, 2008

Here are just some generic questions I can think of without being too familiar of your grade and subject area you are going for...good luck!

How do you meet the diverse needs of students in your classroom?

What three words would students use to describe you?

How comfortable are you with technology in the classroom?

Describe a lesson you would design on ________.

What classroom management strategies do you use?

How do you incorporate other subject areas (reading, writing, etc.) into your lessons?

What extracurricular activities are you willing to help out with?

4. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 6, 2008

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2008

Why did you want to become a teacher?

Name one strength and one weakness. (Hate this question)

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

A lot of times they will say something like "Our mission statement is XYZ" or "We are working on XYZ initiative in our building right now. How would you support/add to this initiative/mission statement?" So it might help to know the mission statement and anything else you can find out about the school.

Probably something about parent interaction, what would you do about an irate parent, how would you establish communication with them, etc.

I would also recommend coming up with your own questions to ask before the interview. When my dept chair called to tell me I got the job, she mentioned that they were impressed with how interested I seemed in the school because I asked as many questions as they asked me! I looked at the school website ahead of time, and asked things like, "I noticed you are working on XYZ, can you tell me more about that?" They knew I was really interested in the district.

Would also recommend practicing. Have a friend ask you the questions and verbalize a response. Or better yet go to a job fair that does pre-screening interviews and you will get a taste for some of the questions they will ask.

Also, take a piece of paper to the interview (I always take a nice leather portfolio). I jot down things I want to ask. I also will make notes as they are asking questions. Sometimes the questions have multiple parts and they also want you to use specific examples as much as possible. Don't be afraid to ask them to repeat the question, or to ask if you covered the entire question when you are finished the answer. (Sometimes there is another part you forget). Also don't be afraid to pause before verbalizing an answer and jot down a few bullet points to keep yourself organized.