Teacher interview opinions

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Karyn Northrop, Jun 15, 2022.

1. Karyn Northrop

Karyn Northrop New Member

Jun 15, 2022

I recently interviewed for an elementary position. I ACED the interview. Principal said that if I don’t hear anything that afternoon, to keep watching and apply when something is posted. She said there would possible be 3 or so openings from teachers who want to get closer to home. If I’m reading between the lines, does this mean I will be next hired? What are your thoughts?

3. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Jun 15, 2022

To be honest...if the principal said that about keep watching and apply for the next posting, I'd assume she liked you enough as a candidate to tell you that but is probably not going to offer you the job. Probably because there's someone she is "supposed to" hire (think someone with connections) but officially she had to do interviews anyway just for show. (Sadly, this happens more than you'd think.) But, the positive side is that she thinks you have a good shot at the other upcoming jobs, and feels bad about not being able to hire you, so she's giving you a heads up to sort of let you down easy. So...keep you eyes open for the openings and make sure you apply as soon as they show up. Hopefully, those are positions that truly are available to the best candidate. Wishing you the best of luck!

4. Karyn Northrop

Karyn Northrop New Member

Jun 16, 2022

Thank you. That’s exactly what I was thinking. Now, my question is, how do teachers have “connections”? According to the ethics standards, no one is to use their position to influence the hiring of someone? How do they get around that?

5. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Jun 16, 2022

There's the ethical route and the unethical route. Ethically, some teachers are a known entity either from subbing, student teaching, being former students, or having moved and come back. They have an advantage in hiring because they're less risk than an unknown person.

Unethically, there's hiring people's spouses or kids, neighbors of school board members, people known from church or little league etc. Occasionally a position may be designated for a "diversity hire", which is not how diversity in hiring is supposed to be implemented, but. . . I've also seen it happen that a teacher is hired not for their teaching skills, but because they're a well-known athletic coach.

Lam Phan, stargirl and readingrules12 like this.