TEACHER INSIGHT VENT :(

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by merigold78, Mar 27, 2008.

1. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 27, 2008

I am curious if anyone has taken the test called Teacher Profile. It is very similar to the Teacher Insight, but I cannot find any info. online about it at all. I am stuck with whatever I scored for two years and it is automatically attached to ALL applications I fill out because they are completed online. There are no school districts in my area that do not participate in this test. I have no idea where I stand, if it bares any weight, etc. This is just so frustrating!

2. smarkham01

smarkham01 Companion

Apr 27, 2008

Dosesn't seem to be! Credit reporting was like this back in the 60's, get together and lobby Congress and you might see some changes. At least the right to know your test score and some explanation of it.

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 27, 2008

JW- Is there anyway you might be mistaken and it was the Teacher Insight test? Did it have multiple choice and scaled questions. I searched the net too and only found one thing for Teacher Profile Test and it was a word doc with a short quiz that told you what you teaching style was: fair and balanced, authoritative etc.

4. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 27, 2008

I don't see why they just can't tell us the scores either. At least then you know what you are up against. It seems like it could be helpful to districts as well. They could actually post something like:

Job seekers with TeacherInsight test scores below X need not apply.

or

Job seekers with TeacherInsight test scores over Y are strongly preferred.

That way they don't even get the people they don't want applying.

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 27, 2008

I was actually being sarcastic when I asked, "What do they do with the scores if you are the relative with an "in" to the district?"

I'm thinking if I am the super's daughter, that I have a job regardless of what my score was.

I'm also thinking that without making public the scores of all teachers in the district OR the policy on how the score factors into the hiring, that you might not even know if you were treated fairly.

In your case Meri, you don't really know for a fact your score was too low with this district. It could mean someone else came along and maybe yours wasn't as high, or there was pressure from someone else to hire the other person.

I know I am just rambling but besides the fact that high scores on this test have no impact on student performance, the whole way it plays into hiring appears to be unethical, discriminating or both.

Lemon

6. smarkham01

smarkham01 Companion

Apr 27, 2008

7. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 27, 2008

When I was completing my online application, it says "you must now complete your Teacher Profile." It is the same type of questions that I have seen posted on this forum...along with giving you about 25-35 sec. to answer each multiple choice answer(some were scaled). So, it seems to be similar to the Teacher Insight. But, again, I know nothing else about it, how it is used, and/or if my score has any real weight on me getting an interview.

8. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Apr 27, 2008

amen, lemon. have a great week! :)

Meri

9. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Apr 27, 2008

SMARKHAM-

thanks for the link to the very interesting article. perhaps i should email it to the person who decided my score wasn't high enough! it sounds as though districts think the test is a lot more accurate than proven to be.

someday our ship will come in!!!! :)

Meri

10. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Apr 27, 2008

Meri,
    It's such a shame this Insight test is giving you anxieties in other areas. If I am able to secure another position in my district soon, I want to start grad classes, but luckily I can take 3 classes without being formally admitted. I guess I need to check out some GRE books from the library!

Keep us posted, something great has to happen for you soon! We are in the same area, I've applied for about twenty postings, and maybe four of them required the Insight test. I hate it, and I always retake for each district and I make sure it's totally silent and I'm really focused so I can at least remember my responses to all those repetitive questions. I hate the competitive ones! I am so not competitive. I love watching sports, not playing them---I'm the opposite of graceful. I only get competitive when it comes to signing up for the Smartboard in my building or job hunting.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  11. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Apr 27, 2008

buck8teacher-

i was partially kidding about the whole test anxiety thing....but it definitely made me more nervous! i took the mat which is hard as crap....but practicing online beforehand definitely helped. you will have to let me know when you hear something back about the jobs you applied for. i know you are hoping to stay where you're at, but i guess all options have to stay open right now. good luck!

P.S. thanks for the teacher Meri
    insight advice. i also heard
    every answer needs to be
    student-centered (seems
    logical). can't wait to
    take it again soon-ha-ha!

12. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Apr 28, 2008

Hmmmm, very, very good point. Someone else here, mentioned a potential legal issue as well. So made me wonder, isn't this something similiar to when you get turn down for credit & you get a letter stating your rights to know why by referencing the agency they used to make their judgement? This way, you have the opportunity/option to obtain a report from that agency to find out why. Don't we have the right to know? Also, how do we know that they are following fair employment practices? Who guarantees it?

I know, I'm probably being delusional but it just doesn't seem right if they are using this test as an initial filtering out of candidates. :huh:

13. a_apple_z_zebra

a_apple_z_zebra Rookie

Jun 4, 2008

I've been hearing that one should research the targeted school district before taking the test; does each school system have a specific rubric or answer key, or do the passing score cutoffs vary between districts?

Also, does "open-ended" really mean essay, because I've read that scores are available instantly, and I'm wondering how an essay question would be evaluated instantaneously.

14. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Jun 4, 2008

When I took it, there were no "essay" questions where I had to type in a response. The way I understand it, each district chooses the types of questions to ask so it may be different for different schools. Also, since I never got a "score" or anything, I don't know much about how soon it is available. I imagine that for selected-response questions like the ones I had, it would be instantaneous. You're right, though, essays would take much longer to evaluate.

~Briana~