Teacher Induction Program for Clear Credential?

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by aut0101, Aug 10, 2020.

1. aut0101

aut0101 New Member

Aug 10, 2020

Hi, I'm sorry if this is the wrong category to post this thread in!
    I'm in the process of finishing up my Bachelor's degree and I want to become a teacher in California. I have already researched the requirements for a preliminary credential and am well versed there. I know that it's valid for a max of 5 years and you need to obtain the clear credential through a teacher induction program.

I know it's going to sound like I'm asking about this so early in my credential journey but: Where exactly do I do one of those programs? It's my understanding that you need to have a teaching job in order to do it, but is the program through your place of employment? Or is the program through a university the way the preliminary credential is?

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 11, 2020

I'm not from California so I might be off base but doesn't your teacher education program at your college help you get through that sort of thing and point you in the right direction? Do you have an advisor? What is your bachelor's degree in?

4. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Aug 11, 2020

My BTSA program was offered by the district that I work for. Many (most?) larger districts offer an induction program, and that is how almost all their employees clear their credential. Some small districts don't offer them, but often the county education department does. I student taught in a tiny district too small to have it's own program, but their employees clear their credential through the county's one.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 11, 2020

Welcome to A to Z, aut0101! This is yet another good question to put to the folk at the local county office of education (or department of education, if you happen to be in Orange County).

With that said, let me echo mathteachertobe: most teachers do clear their credentials by going through an induction program offered by the district that employs them.