Teacher Incentives?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by silverspoon65, Jul 29, 2008.

1. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2008

So I have been selected as a new department chair and I would like to leave little thanks you's or gifts in the teachers' mailboxes from time to time. Specifically, we have a new initiative that teachers are supposed to observe one classroom in their own subject and one in another subject once a month. They have to report it to me, but I know from last year a lot of teachers were dragging their feet about doing this. So I would like to put a little "Thanks for completing your observations this month" note and token in their mailboxes.

First of all, is this too childish or patronizing? Personally, I love getting stuff in my mailbox.

Secondly, what should I put in? I was thinking candy bars or baked goods, but a lot of people in my department have food allergies or restrictions or are on diets. What can I stick in there that would be appreciated or cute but cheap?

3. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Jul 29, 2008

Cute post-its (Vista Print with their names on it?), pens, something they would use. Flower seeds, picture frames/holders, chap stick.
    And if you want to do candy.. get to know your teachers and take notes on they have a weakness for... mm's, swedish fish, hershy kisses...

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2008

I love that idea. I would LOVE to get a little gifty for doing something that might seem like a drag your feet type thing. I think it's a very very sweet idea that will be appreciated!

5. NewbieTeachr

NewbieTeachr Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

I would love to get a gift in my mailbox! I'm a pen fanatic so those are always great. I guess the best thing to do is to "spy" out what their favorite things are.

6. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 29, 2008

spy or ask a trusted student of theirs-most students know what their teachers vices are be it Dr. Pepper or post-its

7. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2008

I love getting goodies. My first thought was pens and pencils since I'm a office supply fanatic as well. You could give any office supply and I'd be happy. How about things like a nail file or a bag of microwave popcorn? A new bookmark. Lotion.

8. Mister Teacher

Mister Teacher Companion

Jul 29, 2008

How about a bottle of Boone's Hill Strawberry Farm?

9. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2008

Those cool paperclips and binder clips they have at Staples - the "designer" line.

10. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2008

:lol::lol::lol:

11. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2008

Ahhhh My college days just flashed back something fierce. I had many a fight with Boone's and it usually won!:unsure:

12. mustang sally

mustang sally Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

sounds good, but a margarita sounds better!!

13. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Jul 29, 2008

I love finding goodies in my mailbox. Check out "Dollar Tree" teacher aisle, they have great notepads, computer paper, etc.
    Also, check the $1 bins at Target. I would love to have a thank you note and maybe the $ to buy a soda or treat from the machine in the teacher room.

14. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 29, 2008

If your high school is like mine, you probably have a lot of male teachers. Every male teacher I know loves FOOD of any kind and would love to get unexpected food :) Also, I don't know if this will work for you but - if you have duties at your school such as parking lot duty or hall duty, why not offer IOU slips for those duties. Our principal awards us with IOU slips to take one of our classes for one period. He passes them out to teachers that go above and beyond. Every single teacher in our building covets those slips :)

15. TeachMe3

TeachMe3 Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

I don't think your idea sounds childish. I LOVe receiving little goodies in my mailbox. Remember it is the thought that counts. It sounds like you are going to be a wonderful department head.

16. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Jul 29, 2008

For a back-to-school happy, I mean really cheap...I found a cute teacher poem online and on my computer created a cute bookmark with teacher clipart. I'm having it laminated, going to add a cute tassel, and put it in their boxes with a sweet treat...some kind of small piece of candy. What about a small votive candle, a
    cheap coffee mug, a "good" ink pen,
    soda/microwave popcorn, cheap key chain, small pack of dry erase markers? If they eat lunch in the cafeteria, buy their lunch for one day. My principal does that for our birthdays, but it is only 3.00 for adults to eat. I love any kind of treat in my mailbox!

17. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2008

Thanks for all the suggestions. I hit up the Christmas Tree Shoppe (love this store!) and the $1.00 section at target today. I found the most at Christmas Tree Shoppe - cute candles, decent sized bottles of body lotion for $.50! and two packs of note pads and cute post its for $1. Still all pretty female - I guess the two guys in my department will have to get the food treats. :)