Teacher I'm Replacing Won't Leave

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ITeach4Him, Jul 15, 2007.

1. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

I've been hired at a new district. I've been given the key to the school and shown my room, BUT the teacher leaving is dragging her feet and doesn't seem to be in a hurry to get out. I had to clean my classroom out the day after I gave notice at my old district! I really would like to start getting my room settled and decorated, but don't want to step on any toes. :eek: It has been 3 weeks since she resigned. Even the principal looked a little bit lost as to how to ask her WHEN she'd be getting her things. He made the comment to me when I asked about getting into my room that he was glad I asked, he would then have a reason to ask her! I think this is a hard move for her since she has been there a long time.

:confused: What can/should I do?

3. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

I know you're anxious but try to be patient, you will be working with her old colleagues and odds are she is still in contact with several. You have to work with these people, and you don't want them to get the wrong impression of you...from her. Maybe the principal can ask her if she wants you to box her things up for her to make it easier on her--you can bet she will be in there in a flash to get her own things! She is probably just having a very hard time letting go of "her" room. Or she is a control freak. Good luck!:eek:

4. eydie

eydie Companion

Jul 15, 2007

Is the teacher moving to a new school herself or has she retired? If she's going to a new school she should want to make the move as soon as she can. Maybe she is waiting on someone else to clean out a classroom for her to move into. If she's older and retiring maybe she would like some help to box things up. If there is a lot of stuff it can be very overwhelming to think about it!
    Either way could you do things like decorate the bulletin boards or organize your classroom library, or go through your files to get them in order? Is there room to at least move your boxes in and to a corner of the room? With you going on in and doing a few things it might prompt her to get out of YOUR room!

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2007

I don't recommend trying to crowd her out. Either let her move on her own (however long that takes her), or utilize the principal as the urger-oner (what a neat word!).

Just remember that some teachers don't get into their new rooms until 3 days before school starts! Be patient.

And patient comes from a Latin word which means "to suffer."

6. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2007

I would ask her if she needs any help boxing up her things. I am not very patient by nature ;) Good luck!

7. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2007

That happened to me once! I thought the teacher was already done, and I started cleaning things out...and threw away some of her personal things. OOPS. She wasn't picked up for the next school year at this school (had been a part time K teacher, and when the position went full time, didn't want full time...so was putting off taking her things home in hopes of being assigned at another school part time, and moving only once).

Do as much as you can without physically being in the room...organize your planbook, pre-read novels, etc.
    Kim

8. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2007

I would bring in a big cardboard box and start putting her stuff in it. That way you could at least start working on your desk area, etc. Maybe you can leave some things on the wall but rearrange the desks and get your supplies together. If her things get in the way, bring in another box. I'd write her last name on it and put it by the door.

9. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

Thanks for all the replies...I'll be patient. :angel: :thanks: She is moving to another school, out of town no less, and I would think that she would be getting ready to move there.

Like I said, I don't want to hurt ANY feelings, I'm just so anxious to get started on getting the room ready. The principal did tell me I could move my things into a corner in the room. I just wanted to give her plenty of time to get moved before I go in.

10. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Jul 15, 2007

I'm in a similar situation...but the teacher that is moving out of "my" room is only going a few doors down. I'm kinda at a loss too. I don't want to bring in anything until all her stuff is out. Plus, there's summer school until Thursday. I'm being really impatient because all my school stuff is crowding out our computer room and closet!!!!!!

11. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

ditto

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2007

When I was "pink slipped" the teacher that was replacing me wanted to know when I would be out... before school was even done. Being a 1st year teacher I hadn't accumulated a lot of stuff. So I started bringing stuff home & packing stuff after school. Needless to say I was done when school was done, but it was pretty hurtful to have someone breathing down your neck before your time is up!!! I was planning to be out by the next week!! It wasn't like I was dragging my feet or that I hadn't worked in the school (as a sub) for a few years. Oh well it's done & over with!!!

I know it's hard but try to be patient, like the others, get a lot of the preplanning stuff done!!!

13. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 16, 2007

I am at a new school also. I went to see my room 3 weeks before it let out. I reassured the teacher that I would not rush her. And she was very polite and said she would be out in one week. Well, she was and she left a huge mess. I had to clean out two huge cabinets and two huge file cabinets. But, I did not mind really it let me see what was in the room and what wasn't. I think since I did not push her just asked her when she thought she would be finished with the room because i had so much stuff to move. She was nice gave me her email and home phone. She told me that if i had any questions about the subject material she would help me. And she has been a huge help.

14. NCP

NCP Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

Similar Situation

I was in a situation similar to DizneeTeachR. I was non renewed due to low enrollment my first year and a third grade teacher in the building was moving into my room. On the last day we had a picnic for the kids at a local park. We ended up getting rained out and had to come back to school and watch a movie. Well, when we got back and walked into the room this teacher had moved all of her stuff in. The entire back wall was piled with stuff! We had been gone for about an hour. Apparently her family had come to help her move, but we still had 3 hours of school left. I felt so out of place. It was awful.

I would just talk to the principal. It is completely reasonable for them to talk to this teacher and prod them along. It's hard to let go sometimes!

15. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 16, 2007

I was in a similar situation a few years ago. The room I was moving into, the other lady had been in for 30 years--you can imagine the amount of stuff she had! She was moving positions in the school though, so she took plenty of time moving out--the first day of school she still had boxes sitting on top of my student desks 15 minutes before the bell rang! She kept coming down all year to get stuff! It was beyond annoying!
    Just try to be patient--if she can't get into her new building, she may not have a place to keep her stuff. Maybe you could call her and ask if she'd like any help?

16. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

lol wow...Im out on my own here. Every one says be patient. Well...the gal had all summer to get her crap out of there. When I moved here, I waited a few days but finally just got took her stuff out because I mean hey...its MY room now. I took the stuff from the former teacher (she was just moving down the hall and we ended up getting along great) and moved it out into the hall. Maybe Im too picky or whatever...but jeesh, lol. I don't need to be delayed more than i will be by my own procrastination.
    Another trick too is to call her, let her know kindly "Hi there...Im so and so...I just wanted to let you know that Im the new teacher and Ill be moving into your old room. Since I have so much stuff (lie if you have to, lol), Ill be making room in the classroom...Your stuff will be ready to go in the hallway to pick up whenever you want" Kill em with kindness.

17. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 17, 2007

You have asked her to please pack up as has the principal. She is no longer part of the district which means she needs to move. If you were leaving any other type of employment would they allow you to leave things in your desk or office? I don't think so. I would tell the woman that you and the principal have spoken to her about moving her things. Since they are still in the room she must not want anything. Then say in 3 days I will be moving my things in. If that doesn't make her move then I feel she wants nothing. Also, be sure to have someone hear you make the phone call or see you speak to the teacher so she can't say you never told her this. I also see this as a way for the principal to see you have some spunk and you aren't afraid to take the initiative.

18. Miss_snugs

Miss_snugs Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

I think janlee said it well. That is now your classroom. If the principal doesn't want to deal with it I would suggest boxing up her things w/her name on them and setting them aside somewhere that is not in your way and start moving in. I am moving into a new classroom in the same school and by the last day of school the teacher who is moving out still had stuff everywhere and her classroom looked like the first day of school. All she was doing was moving across the hall. I ended up lugging all my stuff home and having no where to put it. It was frustrating! Now I have to bring all the stuff back to school.

19. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 17, 2007

I don't understand how this happens. We are required to have all of our stuff packed and stored before leaving for the summer. Teachers leaving the building are given a "key turn-in date" by which all of their stuff needs to be moved out and the room ready to be inspected. At the end of the 05/06 school year I was still trying to get my stuff into my new room (down the hall) and finish shutting down the new room as the other teacher didn't do it porperly. I was not allowed to not come to school (for more than one day until the classroom was ready to be inspected.

20. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

I think someone mentioned earlier that yes, I will be working with people she has worked with for a long time. I do not want to step on any toes and make enemies right from the start, but hey, it IS the middle of July and back to school workshops start soon in August. My stuff is just sitting on a trailer (I had to be out of my old school FAST, we also had deadlines to turn in keys, etc.). I am giving her this week and I will start taking things in next week. I've tried to call her and make sure there isn't something she would like to share with me about the students. I haven't heard back from her.

I know this is hard for her and I am not the type of person to ever intentionally hurt feelings, however, I think I've been very nice to wait and I'll subtly start moving in next week. :)

21. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2007

I agree, go ahead and box up her personal things. It's a lot of work for you, and really, it's HER job, but she's had long enough. In my school, it is the norm that teachers start trickling in the month before school starts - about the end of July. Next week IS the end of July. I definitely agree that it's time.

But, to avoid hurt feelings, just do it nicely, and a phone call ahead of time would also be polite. Like someone else suggested, just a "hi, I'm going to start arranging my things in the classroom next Tuesday, and I noticed that a lot of your personal things are still there. I don't know quite what you'd like me to do with them...."
    Kim

22. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2007

This past year I shared with another teacher who was finally given her own room for next year. I knew her stuff would never be moved by her because she has a "bad back" (translation...lousy attitude because I am in "her" room). So the last week of school I politely told her "I know you can't move things so I'll help you move to your new room". I completely packed her up and carted everything to her new room. She thanked me and said it was a nice thing to do. What I didn't tell her was that I knew if I didn't do it, it would never get done! Now, I've had all summer to arrange my room completely to my satisfaction, without having to try to rush and do it in the few days before the kids start.

23. NS Wife

NS Wife New Member

Jul 17, 2007

I walked into my new classroom in June and realized the teacher leaving had not taken anything besides a picture frame that had been on her desk. :eek: It took my husband and I six days to get rid of all of the things she had been acquiring for the last 30 years. It was a frustrating task and so time consuming. I'm sure it will be one of my "first teaching memories" that I will remember and laugh at someday. :D At least I hope so.

I know it's frustrating to wait... hopefully she will have actually cleaned out the classroom for you so all you will have to do is move your own things in.

24. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2007

It wasn't that I didn't want to go, but with all the end of the school year stuff I just wanted a couple extra days to make sure I had everything. I just thought it was rude to ask me a week before school. I know why he did because he lived over 30 mins away & wanted to move it so he wouldn't have to use more time driving down.

I do agree with the others in this case it is time for her to move out!!! I think you should make that nice call & get going!!! GOOD LUCK!!!

25. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

I agree with previous posters. You might call her and offer to help her move. If she tries to act like she doesn't know when she could get around to it, tell her when you think you need to start moving in and tell her you'll gently pack anything that's in your way.

My first teaching experience was as a long-term sub finishing the year for a teacher who left on VERY bad terms. She wasn't allowed on school grounds when kids were there and she had a whole lot of crap left. But she was too proud to ask the principal if she could come one evening. We ended up going through on the last week of school and sitting all her junk in the hall and then moving it to the basement---then there was a sewage leak in the basement and it ruined all her stuff. I learned a lesson right there. If you lose your job get your stuff ASAP or it could end up covered in sewage!!

26. lowiq

lowiq Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

When I first started teaching I had a similar problem. The previous teacher said that his contract was not up for two more weeks - sometime in September. He even convinced the principal who told me to keep an eye on him and thought he might be tempted to steal things out of the science lab.

27. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2007

That's a new twist...I thought most contracts were up at the end of the "Fiscal" year...usually in June.

28. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

I'm Going In! Update

Alright, since I posted this thread, I've been VERY patient. I've gone to the class a few times and she is SLOWLY getting things out. I was there when she came once and I offered to help in anyway I could (trying not to make her feel like I'm kicking her to the curb!):unsure: I went ahead and moved my things into a corner in the room and honestly, I can't tell what is hers and what stays at the school. :woot: She seems to only being packing about 2 boxes per day!

I've decided I'm going in! :eek: I am really running out of time to get my class together and I want to start working on curriculum and NOT worrying about my room. I'm going to just start getting my things out and organizing them and MAYBE she will see that I need to do this. Geez! She has a new job to get to also!

Am I being unreasonable? I want to be nice and not offend her or anyone! I'm not a mean or pushy person, but I need to get busy.:(

29. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 26, 2007

I would. It seems as if she has had PLENTY of time to move. Your first post was the 15th...it's the 26th now. That's 11 days. Time to go! Like you said, she has another job to get to herself. When does school start for you? To me, she's not be very considerate of you at all.

30. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 26, 2007

I have to agree with teachingmomof4. she has had plenty of time to take her things. I really think that there should be some sort of deadline for teachers who are leaving their classroom, either going to another district or to another classroom. It really isn't fair for the new ones coming in. Good luck!!!

BTW, when do you start school in TX?

31. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

You are NOT being unreasonable and are being a lot more patient than I could be.

32. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Jul 26, 2007

Hey girl, I think we all feel your pain on wanting to get started. I think the other teacher has overstayed her allotted time. If she turned in her keys, then I say you have full right to get in there and start moving in. If she kept the keys, then ask the principal when you can have them. I would consider that your "go ahead."

Good Luck!

33. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Jul 26, 2007

I agree. Leave her a message and or e-mail her if possible, stating that on such and such a date you are planning on moving your items into the classroom and that you had noticed many of her items still there. Mention that if she is not able to clear out her things that you will simply place them in boxes marked with her name so no one takes them and that you will ask the custodian or principal to store them for her. Then ask the custodian or principal where a safe place is to store her things until she comes to get them. Mention the message you are leaving. I agree it is a great idea to have someone hear you say the message OR ask the secretary to leave the message for you since she will have that teacher's number and possibly e-mail address. Just like when dealing with parents you have to cover your bases. Then carefully pack up her things not to throw anything away. You do not want to be pushy but this person could wait until two days before school begins to get started. Good Luck.

34. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2007

I haven't even seen my room yet! The principal's on vacation this month, so hopefully I'll get to see it next week. But a lot of teacher's in my district get hired the day before school starts. I can't imagine trying to set up your room then. It would be awful!

35. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

Students start on the 27th of August. Teachers start on the 20th of August.

I also have a vacation scheduled before then and that's why I want to get in there now before then. She has not turned in her keys, but the principal has given me a set so I'm going to start working around her things and not touch her stuff just yet. Maybe she will see that I'm starting and will get in gear. I really just can't believe she is taking so long since she is moving out of town and has to start a new job there. :confused:

36. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

FarFromHome, I know what this is like. Last year we were opening a new building and got in just days before the kids arrived! In that time, we had so many workshops and meetings to attend that it was a nightmare trying to get the class together. I realized quickly that I could do very little decorating to be ready for the kids and should have spent more time on management, preparation of lessons, etc. The room will come together, but you need to be ready for that first day with kids.

I guess that is why this year I wanted to spend a bit more time on my room early on and then get ready for the kids? Good luck and I hope you get in soon!

37. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 26, 2007

Talk to the principal...let him/her know your dillema. Maybe that will get this woman moving. I know ours would be right down there putting a fire under her a**. I think it's time to quit being nice about it. Tell her you are moving in...you won't have to deal with her.

38. ShellBeWoo1970

ShellBeWoo1970 Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

Everyone has given some really good advice and ideas. I would remain patient (lol at 'to suffer') and take the principals lead. Meanwhile you could bring in some things and maybe label your library books etc and set them near the areas you want them. Good luck! :)