Teacher High Chair

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by luckyal29, Nov 8, 2008.

1. luckyal29

luckyal29 Companion

Nov 8, 2008

I used to say I wouldn't sit down because how could you teach from a chair. But trying to move around for 6 hours a day, I realize I need to sit down every now and then.

I'm looking for a good high chair to have in front of the classroom. I don't like using the chair I use for small groups since it's not positioned for easy access to the whole class. It's not going to be used for read alouds since that's done on the carpet.

Something like those director chairs, but that doesn't have enough back support for me. Some other teacher use stools but those have zero back support. Then I've seen some forms of bar stools that seem functional. Went to IKEA since I'm not sure where to look and didn't see anything functional.

Anyways, what sort of chair do you use and where did you get it?

teacherintexas likes this.
  3. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Nov 8, 2008

We're allowed to sit down? :lol:

Sorry, I know your question is sincere. As a kindergarten teacher, though, the ONLY time I sit down is if I'm reading a book to the class. I just sit on a low stool I got from our district warehouse. I know that's not helpful to you.

How about an online search to see what kinds of things are on the market? A bar stool with a back sounds like it would work well for you.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2008

5. MissRobin

MissRobin Rookie

Nov 8, 2008

The school I work at has given me a rocking chair and a high stool. I think I got the stool only because it was use to be the music room last year. I did not have a rocking chair last year and I thought it took up way too much room, but it is fantastic for carpet time.

6. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 8, 2008

7. teacherstudent1

teacherstudent1 Companion

Nov 8, 2008

Our school has a limited number of high teacher-chairs with the same molded seats (with backs) as the standard teacher chairs. I'm sure they bought them along with the other school furniture, so those catalogs should carry them. You might see if your district has any in a warehouse somewhere or if perhaps (unlikely thought it may seem) they might purchase one for you.

If you have to buy it yourself, it would most likely be cheaper to get one from Walmart or some other discount store. School furniture catalogs are usually pretty pricey.

8. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2008

I bought a terrific high stool with back support at Office Max. $99. and worth every penny. It's blue, cushiony yet firm. The eight rolling ball wheels can be locked so it doesn't move. I use mine at my small group table and wheel it to the front for teaching. Works great. It goes down to table height and up to taller than a bar stool! It's a drafting chair.

9. luckyal29

luckyal29 Companion

Nov 8, 2008

I guess I was unrealistic in my searches earlier. Was trying to find something between $30-$40. Looks like I'll have to spend $90-$100 but considering I plan to teach for years, it's worth it to spend the extra money for a quality chair.

10. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Nov 8, 2008

11. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Nov 8, 2008

I have the ANSSI stool for 14.99 from IKEA. It's a little light weight but I don't really use it often. Mostly my jacket hangs on it! I got it in white/clear and have added clear decals to it to personalize it. I like it a lot!

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 22, 2019

Did you read the original post?? The question was about a TEACHER chair not baby chair.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2019

The OP hasn’t been on the forums since 2013. And yes, was asking about a teacher chair :rolleyes:
    Several weirdly resurrected zombie threads of late....

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 24, 2019

We're keeping an eye on it.

czacza likes this.