Teacher handwriting.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by FourSquare, Dec 26, 2009.

1. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Dec 26, 2009

So this is gonna sound really silly...but one of the biggest things I worry about in terms of becoming a teacher is writing on the board. I fell in love with cursive at an early age, and I sort of stopped printing all together. My writing isn't horrible, but I feel like all teachers are really good at keeping their lines straight and letters sized right. Does this just come with practice? I hate writing things on the board in my classroom cause when I stand back it looks all scrawly and not neat. But I've never really had to write at a weird angle before. I think I'll have to get one of those chalk things where you can make your own lines. :lol:

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 26, 2009

My handwriting stinks. That's one of the reasons I shy away from the little ones. One of the things that helps a lot is to poke little fun at myself. I tell my students that I know my handwriting is atrocious and that I will never be offended if they politely tell me that what I just put on the board looks like a weird form of cunioform. They laugh, and they feel comfortable asking me to rewrite something. I do some other things to make certain easily confused letters and numbers easier to distinguish. I write X's with staight lines and always "hook" my Y's. 7's and Z's are written european style. T's are hooked to distinguish them from plus signs. I NEVER use an X for multiplication (is 3XY 3 times Y or three times X times Y?). It does get better with practice, but these little things help as well.

4. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Dec 26, 2009

My handwriting is awful, which is why I often use PowerPoint to give notes. But if I have to write on the board, I too have grown used to making fun of myself. The kids get a kick out of this, and also (as the above poster noted) just ask me to explain what something is, or re-write it. That said, I teach high school, so its probably less of an issue.

5. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Dec 26, 2009

It'll get easier with practice! I remember the first time student teaching when I wrote my morning message on the board, stepped back, and noticed it all slanted down noticeably at the end of each sentence! I don't have that problem anymore. :)

6. TeaRoses4M&D

TeaRoses4M&D Rookie

Dec 26, 2009

It is true with practice it is easier. My handwriting is not great but for some reason after practicing on the whiteboard my handwriting is much better on the board than on paper. A good friend of mine came into my room one day and asked whose writing it was-she didn't recognize it.

7. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Dec 26, 2009

My handwriting is pretty bas as well. I write in all CAPS on the board to minimize confusion.

8. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2009

Did anyone else have to pass a handwriting test while in school learning to be a teacher? We had to write on a board and it was a grade! Weird.

Sometimes I purposely write very poorly. Kids think it's funny. It usually happens when I'm modeling creative writing and I'm near the end of the piece and I just say and "blah, blah, blah"....and scribble a bunch of words.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2009

Mine is awful as well.

I do make a point of putting lines through my z's so they don't look like 2's, and of avoiding any variables that look too much like numbers (like b/6) And, like mm, I tell my kids that I'm not at all sensitive; they can tell me if they can't read something.

(I also tell them that I speak too fast and am not sensitive about being asked to repeat. I coached debate for 18 years and I live in NY-- speaking fast is an occupational hazard.)

I think it's fine for kids to see that we're human, and just how we deal with our own flaws.

10. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 27, 2009

I too tell my students to just tell me if they can't read my writing. I write in a weird combo of cursive and print. When I taught kinder I slowed down and wrote neatly, but now in high school I definitely write oddly and fix as needed. Honestly though I don't write on the board much, I use power points for longer notes and we also just have a lot of discussions. Mostly my agenda goes on the board with a warm up question and then not much else.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2009

Oh, I'm on the board constantly!!!

I can teach with larygngitis, but heaven help me if I ever break my arm!!!

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2009

My writing, or printing, on lined chart paper is beautiful and on the board it varies. What my students have the hardest time with is my odd combination of printing and cursive that I use for comments on their papers sometimes, particularly when I am writing quickly. Often when I hand things back I see students huddled together, looking at a book or paper, asking each other to read what I wrote.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2009

I also abbreviate a lot, and that doesn't help things much.

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 27, 2009

My board writing left handed is indistinguishable from right handed. I'm okay if a break an arm.

15. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 27, 2009

My notes tend to be heavy on mathematical notation...a lot of which my students have never seen before. It's a bad habit, but hey...they learn new notation :D

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2009

That depends on what I teach... geometry tends to be kind of wordy.

And algebra is a mix-- my "process" notes are always in something close to English, so the kids can decipher them at home. And the verbal problems are.... verbal :)

17. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Dec 27, 2009

My handwriting wasn't great when I started teaching, and I still hate writing on chalk boards. But - most classes now have white boards or easels and they are MUCH easier to write on.

I wouldn't loose too much sleep over it. As with anything - the more you do it the better you'll become!

Kelly :)

18. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Dec 27, 2009

I did. At the beginning of every methods class (mind you, this was 20 years ago) we were given something that had to be written on the board. You went in to class, turned in any homework that was due, and copied the assignment on to the chalkboard. It took about 5 minutes and we were graded as soon as we were done. You got feedback immediately from each of the professors and were not supposed to make those errors again.

My school has a handwriting test/example as part of the interview process. We have teachers write on the board, as well as on paper.

19. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 27, 2009

My handwriting is horrendous, I have dysgraphia, handwriting is illegible When I was observing at the local elementary school, I had to help the teacher aout a bit, write problems on the board, etc. I have particular trouble with the number four, the kids would offerto help me with it every time :D

20. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Dec 27, 2009

:D !

You guys make me feel so much better. I was also worried about the way I write numbers because it is not traditional. For instance, I write a curly two instead of a traditional two: 2. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

21. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 28, 2009

I write 4's like u's. My hand won't draw the |_|

22. wrice

wrice Habitué

Dec 28, 2009

I write so fast on the board its always messy. I can write more neatly if I spend a lot of time on it, but often I'm just being quick. I appoint a class translator sometimes.

23. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 28, 2009

If you are that concerned, take an adult handwriting class. I took a class intended for med school students when I was in my early 20's. It made a HUGE difference in the legibility of my handwriting. It's still bad, but at least people can read it if I take time, and anybody who's seen enough of my handwriting gets used to the quircks and can read is reasonably well.

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 28, 2009

I have great printing & writing, but I print a whole lot more on the board than I write. I don't knw why, I just do.

25. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Dec 28, 2009

I do this too!!!
    I got tired of my high school students not being able to read my cursive writing. Seems as if cursive is a lost art, with the digital age we are in.

26. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Dec 29, 2009

I had to take a class as part of my degree program. It met every Tuesday and Thursday at 8AM. We learned "teacher writing" by using the Zaner-Bloser writing program. We used those handwriting books, did the warmup exercises and practiced on both paper and the board. I can still do the perfect Zaner-Bloser manuscript and cursive when I want to. Most people CAN improve their handwriting (both print and cursive) through practice if they want to.
    In my regular writing, I use a combo of print and cursive. I've not had any trouble with kids being able to read my writing.

27. holley.padula

holley.padula Rookie

Dec 29, 2009

Writing class

This is exactly what I need. I think if I practiced, I would do really well.

28. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Dec 29, 2009

I've written in all caps since high school so that's what I give notes in. It does lead to some confusion but I'm not ready to transfer over to PowerPoint 100% (I use it when I want to include clips of movies in the notes).

I can write neat...but I'd need about triple the time.