Teacher Goal-Setting

Discussion in 'General Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Sep 11, 2014.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 11, 2014

I know many of us have to set yearly goals for our evaluation process now. I'm curious--do you have free reign over what you can choose?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2014

Those goals should be your own. We all have things that we need to work on. I disagree with your assessor that veteran teachers shouldn't be picking out certain objectives to work on. We're continually learning. I don't fill out the same form as teachers do, but my director does ask what our goals are for next year at our end of the year evaluation meeting.

4. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 11, 2014

I think choosing the goals should be a collaboration between the teacher and the person assessing.

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 11, 2014

I always put a lot of thought into what I want to work on. Our goals have to be SMART.

There isn't a lot of follow-through. We have to assess students, reflect, etc., and our principal just talks to us about it for a few minutes at the end of the year. But I feel like a teacher could easily BS there way through it, and make stuff up.

My PDP goal (our state license renewal program) is on guided reading, so I plan on making my personal school goal about guided reading, as well.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2014

I think that you should get to select your own goals. If it is obvious that you phoned it in or something, then I think it's fair for an administrator to ask you to change your goal. Barring that, though, what's the point of setting a goal that you don't care about or doesn't apply to you?

My goal is to reduce my Ds and Fs. I don't normally have a lot anyway, but I would prefer to have none. Zero Ds and Fs might be unrealistic, but I think that it is reasonable to get my percentage of Ds and Fs to under 10% each. Right now my Fs are there, but my Ds are closer to 15-20%, based on last year's numbers anyway.

7. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 11, 2014

Sometimes you don't see things the same youself. Sometimes it is very helpful to have another "eye" on how things are going.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2014

I think that you raise a fair point. What was described above seemed more like an administrator arbitrarily assigning goals, even if they weren't applicable to a particular teacher. That has happened at my school, where administrators assigned the same goals to all teachers. It can be difficult to receive a goal, for example, to increase student performance on the practice math proficiency test when the teacher receiving that goal is the PE teacher, you know what I'm saying?

I do agree, though, that sometimes an administrator does have a goal in mind for a specific teacher that perhaps the teacher needs to address but didn't make that determination on his or her own. In this situation, administrator guidance is important. I guess it basically comes down to the competency of the administrator.

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 11, 2014

We have two types of goals: Student Learning Targets and a Professional Growth Plan. Our SLTs must be data based, aligned with CCSS, and based on multiple sources of data (pretest, previous standardized test scores, reading level, etc.) Those are absolutely followed up on, as the two goals combine to account for half of our evaluation process.

Our PGP should be tied to our SLTs (if my SLTs focus on literacy skills, my PGP should, too.) We have more flexibility with those. They are also evaluated at the end of the year, but do not impact our score. We just have to show evidence that we did each activity we said we would do.

Ours are submitted online on the state website and must be approved by our evaluator. I've been several times to get clarification about mine.

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 11, 2014

We have to do two SMART goals. One must be student learning related. I chose to increase my use of pretests and data this year. The other must be professionally related. This year I chose to increase parent communication, especially positive communication.

11. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 11, 2014

Yeah, agreed, applying the same goal across the board is fail and a waste of time. The goal chosen has to be really personal to each individual teacher.

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 11, 2014

We are given some school goals that they encourage us to use, my team usually chooses goals together and we try to incorporate 2 of the school goals and 1 grade level goal.

13. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2014

Mine are my own. I've gotten feedback on how to improve them (not to actually reach the goal but like being told to re-write in a different way) but I was never asked to pick different goals or a certain goal.

14. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 11, 2014

I agree with this to an extent. I think they can give you suggestions but just making a blanket provision that no one teaching for so many years can do these I think is wrong. Every class is different and we are purposely supposed to wait until after we meet them to decide what is going to be an issue.

I chose something that may be natural for many people, but it's hard for me in Kinder. Many of our objectives are ongoing throughout the year and not expected to be taught to mastery. I want to learn how to do that better. I'm going to be evaluated on it and if I don't feel like I do it well, then that's something I want to improve, I think I should be allowed to set that as a goal.

15. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 11, 2014

As I said, having a different set of "eyes" can be very good when goal setting. However, it has to be very personal to each individual teacher. If it is just blanket goals, it is a waste of time and failure.

Any administrator worth their salt is going to listen and put most stock into what you have to say when setting your goals. If not, then they are either making blanket goals, see something that the teacher simply does not see or want to see, or just not very good at what they do...imo

Honestly, you should set your own goals regardless of what goals you set with your administrator.

16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2014

I agree with this. For our professional goals we have full reign to decide with our goals are.

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 12, 2014

They're supposed to fall under certain areas (literacy, technology, instructional practices, etc.) and we're asked to use a certain structure to our wording, but we have leeway within those guidelines.