Teacher Glut

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Major, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Major

Major Connoisseur

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 14, 2009

It's pretty much what we've been saying here for some time now, in spite of the insistance of so many colleges that the "shortage" ever existed or continues today.

4. love2read

love2read Rookie

Nov 14, 2009

It's the same here in Georgia. I just finished Student Teaching and graduate in December. There are less than 20 openings in the entire state! Depressing....

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 14, 2009

I am so thankful for my job. When I was hired at my one room school house they had 10 applicants. This year when they hired a new teacher, they had over 50.

6. CurioNic

CurioNic Rookie

Nov 14, 2009

This is essentially exactly what was on my mind when I posted about my fear for the profession in CA! :) It's unfortunate, really- I find myself in that pool of individuals who were told (and mistakenly believed) that there would be a teacher shortage due to retiring baby-boomers, and an increased school-age population around the year 2016... it seems that it is so difficult to accurately project these things! Recently, I read that baby-boomers are choosing not to retire since the recession has depleted retirement funds, etc., and that the influx of the population may be dispersed more widely into charter schools, homeschool programs, etc. :dizzy: Oh, to know the future!

7. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Nov 15, 2009

Perhaps more articles like this will help dispel the teacher shortage myth. I am so grateful for my position this year but who knows if it will be there next year. (I pray that it will be.)

8. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

Nov 20, 2009

So glad to finally see an accurate article from the media. It's a bit late as I know first hand there hasn't been a general teacher shortage in much of the country for at least 7 years. But better late than never.

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 20, 2009

I'm sad to say it, but I'm glad that SOMEBDOY in the news media has figured it out. Just last summer we were still reading articles about how teaching was a hot job and growing and yadda yadda yadda. At least now prospective teachers have something other than sites like us telling them the truth.

10. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Nov 21, 2009

A truthful but sobering article. I'm glad to be working this year, but who knows what will happen next year for me as well. I'm new here to Arizona and if there's layoffs I'd be sure to get RIF'd. I try not to think about it but it's hard not to.

11. teacher112

teacher112 Companion

Nov 23, 2009

Don't let this get you down!! Everyone told me the exact same thing and I chose not to listen. I was hired as a first grade teacher right out of college. You can do it if you are committed, and really make an effort to differentiate YOURSELF.

12. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Nov 24, 2009

I hope colleges stop trying to sell the idea that you can be an educator and get a job ASAP! I was really lucky to have a position ready in 4 months after graduating, but really I tell people do not bother being an education major right now. Not enough positions to spend all that money for a degree.

13. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Nov 24, 2009

14. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Nov 24, 2009

15. love2read

love2read Rookie

Nov 25, 2009

I'm assuming it all depends on the Principal and/or the district. In my neck of the woods, student teachers can be hired immediately after the student teaching experience.