Teacher gifts

Discussion in 'General Education' started by PinkLily, Nov 14, 2007.

1. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Nov 14, 2007

Every year I receive many gifts from students at Christmas and at the end of the year. This year I am thinking of asking the students/parents not to get me a gift. I would much prefer that they donate to a worthy cause instead of buying something for me. I would like to let the parents know how I feel, but I am not sure how to tell them without sounding like I was expecting a gift. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I could write in my next newsletter to explain this to the parents?

3. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Nov 14, 2007

How close are you to the parents? If you have a room parent or somebody who you could tell and then rely on them to spread this information through word of mouth, you might try that.

4. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Nov 14, 2007

I would agree with Steph-ernie; this is a job for a parent.

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 14, 2007

My mom does a blurb in her newsletter about "while gifts are certainly not expected, we're aware that many families choose to give gifts around the holiday season. Here are things we'd love to use in the classroom" and then lists things like art supplies and gift cards to teacher store, target, wal-mart, michael's, photo developing, etc. Although she ends up with some annoying teach gifts anyway, she DOES get a fair amount of stuff for the classroom :)

6. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Nov 15, 2007

I have given up trying to convince people what teachers might appreciate for their class and continue to receive all types of items that are unusable to me. I now gather these gift from all the teachers in my school, because we all get them, and take them to the nursing home where my Mom lives. Their activities coordinator wraps them up so that all the residents get a gift at their holiday party and if it is something that can't be used, she puts aside for their fundraising garage sale. Last year I took 4 large shopping bags of knickknacks, body lotion, mugs, sprays, notepads-you name it and I thought the director would cry. She said she did not have a large enough budget to buy everyone gifts, so it was a Godsend.
    Maybe this is something others could do. I felt it was a good solution.

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Nov 15, 2007

You know whats funny though? As I high school teacher, I get hardly anything from my students. I am jealous of your bags of crap! haha!

8. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Nov 15, 2007

I teach elementary and I hardly get anything! I think I got two gifts last year. I always heard the rule of thumb was a full days wages should go to your child's teacher. Anybody else hear of that before?

9. janlee

janlee Devotee

Nov 15, 2007

We are not to accept anything of value over $25.00 in our district but parents do give some of us gift certificates over that amount to Borders, Barnes and Noble, and restaurants. Four years ago I looped with my students from 2nd to 3rd. Not only was it a fabulous experience it was an unbelievable Christmas and end of year. For Christmas I was presented with a a $75.00 gift cert. to a high end restaurant and a $25.00 gift cert. to Hallmark from the entire class plus several parents presented me with individual gifts. ( one was a $50.00 American Express gift cert.) Did I not accept those gifts? No way and I enjoyed using the gift certs very much. The end of the year brought a diamond pendent with the years I looped inscribed. I cherish that gift.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 16, 2007

Wow! That's really extravagent! I wouldn't want any of my students' families spending that much. The norm here is probably a gift in the $10-$15 range. It really is more a token than anything else.

11. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Nov 16, 2007

We have a lot of families at our school that go all out. Each year I get several $50 gift cards - Target, the movie theatre, etc. There are also those who give small, trinket type items or candy/food items as well.

12. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Nov 17, 2007

The tradition at my school is that all of the families pitch in and get the teacher something. We're supposed to fill out a form at the start of each year that's kept in the office listing favorite restaurants, favorite colors, any collections you have going on, hobbies, favorite scents, etc. By the time the room mom collects the money, the gift is usually worth about $150 (from a class of 20 kids). Not all familes will contribute, of course, but the rule is that the gift comes from the WHOLE CLASS, not just those who donated money to the fund.

I was my daughter's room mom last year and we gathered over $200. We split it into several gift cards, for home use and school use. I put a note in each that said something like "a treat for you, and something to buy a treat for the classroom" - that had a $10 bakery gift card and a $10 dollar store gift card. We also got a mall gift card and a bookstore gift card ($75 each) and a Five Below gift card and a restaurant gift card ($30 each).

A couple of parents will still do small, teacher-y types of things, just because they want their child to have the experience of acutally handing something to the teacher.

Kim

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Nov 17, 2007

Wow. I don't know, but I don't think my kids could come anywhere near that. All but about three of my kids are on free lunch, and several of them haven't yet paid their instructional fees ($15), in spite of repeated warnings, held report cards, and the calendar saying we are 1/2 way through the second 9 weeks! I do, however, receive several drawings and "I Love You" notes per week, and I cherish every one!

14. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 17, 2007

I think I would included a very brief note in your next newsletter that states something like: I realize that the holidays are approaching. I prefer that you remember me in your Christmas thoughts and prayers only. Let's not do any Christmas presents this year. I love your children and their company as my students is truly the best gift ever! :)
    or something like that. :crosseyed