Teacher Gift Suggestion

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Unregistered, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Dec 16, 2003

I'm a high school senior he needs a good holiday gift for a teacher who has just written me a number of college recommendation whom i've had for 2 years. Any suggestions would be very appreciated.
    Thanks

3. austeach

austeach Companion

Dec 16, 2003

I think that gift certificates for a book store are always a winner. Then the recipient can either get some light reading for the holidays or some professional reading.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 17, 2003

When I completed my internship the school gave us gift certificates to the teacher store ( I don't know what level this teacher is). A dinner gift certificate might be nice as well.

5. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Dec 17, 2003

walmart gift

This year I am giving......I found personal massagers (hand held with adaptor peices for scalp, back...) takes 2AA batteries for 4.77.
    Definitely looks more expensive then that. @ Walmart... I also saw lots of soap and perfume sets but i personally have received my share of them and prefer not to get them.

As i posted before and you can search atoz for the thread, I enjoy giving little token gifts to the teachers I work with on my team. and I got from ebay angel/cherub pins with the word teacher on them and then at the end of the year i got silver apple charms, also ordered from an ebay store. both cost me under 4$ each....

6. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Dec 17, 2003

I found bath and body works type gift sets for $3 each. I bought 8--six for my co-workers and two for my aides. My sister shrink wrapped them for me so they look nice--they look like they cost more than $3. Thank goodness they didn't. Student teaching ate up my finances.

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 18, 2003

I've already been loaded down with more teacher mugs this year (I now have a matching set of 8 that are exactly alike!) Some of the gifts I really appreciate are the practical ones. Post-its, paper clips, colored pens, etc. One parent a couple of years ago bought me a set of educational videos. I was very excited about them.

Christy

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 18, 2003

My mom sent a note in one of her weekly newsletters that basically said "Although gifts are certaintly not expected or required, many of you feel that you would like to send a gift. Here are some items that would be especially appreciated: washable paints, markers, or other art supplies, gift cards to Michaels (so we can purchase craft supplies) or Toys R Us (for educational games), and other items for the classroom."

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Dec 19, 2003

Hi!
    There is a CD called "Teacher Therapy" by Judy Domeny Bowen that I got as a gift last year.
    Very funny - one of the best CD's I own! Good music and is all about the real nitty gritty of teaching life!
    I think it came from Amazon..
    Russell Lane

10. HannahB2

HannahB2 Companion

Mar 31, 2004

Gift certficates to a restraunt or a book store.

11. MrsMac

MrsMac Rookie

Apr 4, 2004

As a teacher I always prefer something that is handmade, something that is unique from you. I get so many chocolates, gift certificates and mugs that I get to the point where I can guess what it is.

One year a student made me a bead angel for Christmas - it sits with pride on my tree every year.

If you can't think of something to make, try to get something personal for that teacher - if you've known them for a while maybe they have a special interest in an author, hobby, etc. One of my colleagues was an artist, so when he left to travel for a while I got him a small sketch pad and a tin of pencils.

Hope this gives you somewhere to go...
    Kate

12. jenniatek

jenniatek Companion

Apr 4, 2004

One of my more useful gifts I received from students was a new colourful stamp pad and 3 new stamps! Maybe too primary?....

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Apr 13, 2004

Our PTA gave us money to help set up learning centers. I then had a Grandma ask what she could buy for me. My list included gift cards from a variety of stores (Wal-mart, Target, Michaels, any teach store, bookstore). Gift cards, even though lots of people think that they are impersonal are great! I can get what I want, whether something for the classroom or something for myself. I also like gift cards to resteraunts. She wanted something more specific so I told her I always enjoy planting with the kids. So she's providing the potting soil & peat pots

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 13, 2004

I just got a packet of 5 packs of Polaroid film! Now I need like a gallon of hand sanitizer.

15. dee

dee Companion

Apr 13, 2004

16. Margo

Margo Devotee

Apr 13, 2004

I love that catalog. I got our kindergarten team shirts from there this year. They have such wonderful clothes. :D

17. dee

dee Companion

Apr 13, 2004

yes they have some very nice things in that catalog

18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Apr 30, 2004

gift memberships to teacher websites

19. becky

becky Guest

Apr 30, 2004

This is probably way too young, but one year I made up a basket for my son's principal and vice-principal:

Wrapped in a bundle & tied with ribbon- Teddy Grahams, with a note that read'To thank you for bearing with ( my son's name ) for all these years'.
    A Million Dollar bar, with a note that read '... because your help and understanding over the years is worth even more'.

I also added Starlight mints,and teabags, but I can't remember what I wrote to go with them. For the female vice-principal I added Hershey's Hugs and Kisses, with a note that read...'nuff said!'

I think my son was going on to high school and this gift was for the middle school administrators. It could be adapted, with some careful thought.

20. becky

becky Guest

Apr 30, 2004

Next time I reply to a post I better check the date! I thought this was for a year end gift;)