Teacher fired for inappropriate comment?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ron6103, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Nov 18, 2009

Take a glance at the below article...

http://www.kansascity.com/116/story...&&mi_pluck_action=page_nav#Comments_Container

What are your thoughts on this? I ask because, I'll freely admit, I have made "off the cuff" comments before. Never about "excited" states in the Union, but I have occasionally made comments that are probably quite similar, and have inadvertently used mild swear words (dam, crap, hell, etc) on more than one occasion.

Do you think this sort of thing warrants termination? :confused:

3. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Nov 18, 2009

I think this sounds like an overreaction although I don't know what else might have gone on.
    The comment didn't even sound that bad. It could have been taken as a sexual innuendo, I suppose or it could have been taken many other ways.
    I think the school was just looking for a reason to drop a teacher so they seized the opportunity.
    The kids sure had a teachable moment though. They got to exercise their right to assemble.

4. wrice

wrice Habitué

Nov 18, 2009

Haha funny comment actually, quick wit. Poor guy. Yeah you can't say stuff like that and if he's already rubbed the principal the wrong way there's surely a list of his sins in a folder somewhere.

Best to hold in comments like that and save em for the teachers' lounge.

Personally, if I were a principal, I'd hire him in a heartbeat. Teaching eighth grade needs a sharp teacher with a good sense of humor! I know because I've done it!

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 19, 2009

Fired? I don't think so. Was it appropriate, no.
    But sometimes I think admin has knee-jerk reactions of firing teachers in the midst of media coverage and then try to justify it by saying there were other incidents. If he had such a large file of complaints, why was he still working there, why would one comment put it over the top? That seems fishy to me.

It says a lot that the students came out and protested-I don't think kids have many opportunities for civil disobedience anymore.

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 19, 2009

We're reading Civil Disobedience right now and the kids are not getting into it. I remember being so inspired by it when I read it in high school.

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Nov 19, 2009

I think he should have received disciplinary action, defintely, but fired? No. Saying that Florida got excited and that's why it's out of proportion is an absolutely inappropriate way to speak to students, no matter what grade level. I'm not a prude either but I know what I can and can't say or do as a teacher...don't we all?

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 19, 2009

Inappropriate...but apparently not the only reason for his dismissal.

9. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Nov 19, 2009

I don't think it was a big deal really. In our schools we teach sex ed. If you can't use comedy when dealing with the topic it can become pretty uncomfortable. Now would I say it? No. However, I also wouldn't want to teach gym because I don't want to teach sex ed. That said, I've had a student tell me that the reason I didn't want him making out in class was because "I wasn't getting any." The VP suspended him but I really didn't want the kid suspended and I can't imagine a comment like that one being seen as a big deal that would lead to a reprimand or firing. Might a teacher be told NOT to say this? Of course. The best judgement? No. But everyone has days where they say the wrong thing from time to time.

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 19, 2009

I think the difference between the student in your example and this teacher is that the student meant to be insulting and disrespectful with his use of this type of "humor". The teacher meant nothing of the sort.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 19, 2009

I wouldn't have fired him. It was an inappropriate comment on this part, but not enough to get him fired. I think if there was other incidents like this one, it will come out; if not, then the P will look like a jerk. So what if you don't get along with a teacher! It's obvious he has a great relationship with the students!