Teacher fatigue , how do you combat it?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Geologygirl, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Mar 11, 2017

It is only Marchand still a month till spring break. We start a new term monday with new kids and I find myself feeling depressed at the thought of having to reteach the stuff from term 3 to the new term 4 kids.....I think it is teacher fatigue.. How do you guys overcome it?

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Mar 11, 2017

I wish that I was in your shoes. I'm teaching the same students all year round and I'm at the point where I could use a break from a few of them and they probably desire a break from me as well (and from all of their current teachers). It would also give me a chance to use what I learned from the previous term to make my lessons better. I'm teaching all new stuff that I've never really taught before so I'm building my ship as I'm sailing kind of thing. It's just tiring more than anything because I constantly don't really know what I'm doing next and I am also fatigued but for what appears to be a different reason.

Why not look at what you did in term 3 and see what you could do different. Maybe research some new strategies you might be excited to try or develop a new project that you could test out.

anon55 and Geologygirl like this.
  4. Teacher0909

Teacher0909 Rookie

Mar 11, 2017

I was thinking along the same lines as Peregin5. I would consider adding some short, time manageable projects to add interest to your lessons or simply revising some of the lessons. This will motivate you and hopefully help get you through the rest of the year. Remember, the kids don't know what to expect because they haven't had you. Here's an idea for next year. I don't know what age you teach so I'm not sure how well this will work. Have your outgoing classes give you suggestions on things such as what they liked, didn't like, would have wanted to do, ideas for projects, etc. and take those great ideas into consideration when you're feeling fatigued. You can even share with your incoming classes that the previous students made the suggestions and they will get to make suggestions at the end of their term too. This might serve as motivation for them and you'll continue getting good ideas. Everybody wins. Good luck and hang in there. Summer's right around the corner!

Geologygirl likes this.
  5. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Mar 11, 2017

I always do this, but with the new standards I am still trying to align more of the cirriculum. I think this is part of the stress...plus I had these kids term 2 and there are more behavior problems in this batch than the last. Thanks for the advice I will concentrate on bettering the new curriculum though and have found some new labs to try.
    Peregrin5, post: 2024300, member: 69168"]I wish that I was in your shoes. I'm teaching the same students all year round and I'm at the point where I could use a break from a few of them and they probably desire a break from me as well (and from all of their current teachers). It would also give me a chance to use what I learned from the previous term to make my lessons better. I'm teaching all new stuff that I've never really taught before so I'm building my ship as I'm sailing kind of thing. It's just tiring more than anything because I constantly don't really know what I'm doing next and I am also fatigued but for what appears to be a different reason.

Why not look at what you did in term 3 and see what you could do different. Maybe research some new strategies you might be excited to try or develop a new project that you could test out.[/QUOTE]

6. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Mar 11, 2017

I had these kids term 2 and they were much less well behaved than last term. We made allmost all new lessons and projects last term because we are in the middle of implementing new standards so its not old stuff.. I do plan to try a few more new labs to try to finish changing over the old standards for the new. Hopefully that will help. Thanks for the reminder about summer!
    Fs

7. Teacher0909

Teacher0909 Rookie

Mar 11, 2017

I definitely sympathize with you when it comes to trying to implement new standards and trying to do it effectively. That's stressful enough. I didn't realize that was a part of your dilemma. It sounds like you already have a good plan though. I really wish you the best. I can tell you're a good a teacher because not all teachers care enough to even try to make sense of new standards or teach them effectively. I know that's blunt, and I don't mean to be rude to others, but it's true, and just because I'm new to this site doesn't mean I'm a new teacher. I've been a teacher for a while and I've seen several teachers do that so kudos to you for working hard at a very pertinent part of our job. I hope others at your school notice your efforts.

Geologygirl likes this.
  8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Mar 12, 2017

Not really related to your question, but I'm curious as to how your school schedule works now.

So do you see students only every other term? Like 1st and 3rd, and 2nd and 4th?

9. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Mar 28, 2017

Yes. I see group 1 term 1 and 3 and group 2 term 2 and 4. 90 min classes so you teach a year of content in 2 terms.

10. rpan

rpan Cohort

Mar 29, 2017

I think this is a great opportunity for personal reflection on what you think you could improve on and "re do" the term again to make it better and to teach it better. Feedback from students is a great idea too.
    Teaching a different subject all year leads to a different type of teacher fatigue. The grass isn't always greener.

11. Committed2DaProfession

Committed2DaProfession Rookie

Mar 29, 2017

I think every teacher that works hard each and every day experiences this on one level or another. My answer to the question: More exercise, more sleep(seriously), and ginseng. This may look like an obvious answer but I am telling you that working out will not only increase your metabolism but also allow you to consistently get a good night's sleep. Ginseng is simply a root that improves energy, focus and mental endurance. GNC sells a product called "Triple Ginseng" that is awesome. Not for everybody, but awesome. Take the ginseng every work morning.

12. MrFrank35

MrFrank35 Rookie

Mar 29, 2017

This time of year is really tough on teachers and students; everyone is getting done. Make sure that you are getting lots of rest, take time on the weekends to do something that you enjoy, and add some new, fun elements (like what was mentioned above) that you and the students will both enjoy. Hang in there!