Teacher Fakes Fall to Avoid Eval

Discussion in 'General Education' started by skittleroo, Aug 4, 2010.

1. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2010

3. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Aug 4, 2010

I saw this last night on the news. She clearly stopped, looked around and slowly fell down the stairs.

so sad.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2010

I guess if she couldn't handle the stress of an evaluation, she really was in the wrong profession.

5. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Aug 4, 2010

It's sad. Stress can make people do crazy things.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2010

Two years ago, in the midst of radiation treatments, I had a pregnancy scare. I had to arrange a blood test before having my next treatment.

That was the day of my annual evaluation.

I have no idea what I taught, but I went through with the evaluation.

If Ms. Feldman was THAT afraid of an evaluation, her students have my sincere sympathy.

7. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 4, 2010

That is sad! Apparently she was under a lot of stress. I wonder if she had any supports since she was a 1st year teacher. I know for a fact that a lot of city school districts claim to have good support systems for 1st year teachers, but in reality some new teachers don't receive a coach or mentor. I don't know of any teacher who went to this length to avoid an eval.

8. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Aug 4, 2010

:eek: Seriously? What could you be doing that wrong to not want to be evaluated? No sympathy from me.

9. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Aug 4, 2010

With the added unnecessary stress of teaching, and the fact that you can lose your career (a la DC, RI, etc) over evals and test scores there will probably be more cases similar to this but not this extreme though. I didn't read the article though. I' just heard of teachers having panic attacks and cheating etc due to the stress

10. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2010

I can understand being nervous during your evaluations your first year - but faking a tumble down the stairs to get out of it?! That's crazy.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2010

The reality is that anyone, in any job, can lose that job due to poor performance.

Our kids are evaluated on a daily basis, and none of mine have thrown themselves down a flight of stairs to avoid the process. Nor have any of my doctors, my accountant, or the guy who is redoing my bathroom next week.

Adults do a good job, and aren't afraid to let others see how good a job. Anyone who is afraid to let others see thejob they've been doing should probably find another line of work.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2010

Well said, Alice. I'm in the "come and see what I'm doing anytime" camp--it is unfortunate that there are adults, in any profession, who don't want others to see what they are doing.

13. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 5, 2010

This story sounds really weird to me. Wouldn't she consider they would just reschedule the meeting? It's not like they are going to throw the eval out just because she was injured.

14. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Aug 5, 2010

I realize that our job can be stressful, but my eval. is one of the last things I have to stress about. I wish the teacher would have commented and let us know where her line of thought was. Did the school cause some of this added stress. Last year my school district hired a 1st year teacher. She was given a mentor and put through a two year mentor program. The bad thing is the mentor and the 1st year teacher didn't get along. It was a constant battle between them all year. Mid year the mentor asked to be removed as the 1st year teachers mentor. The 1st year teacher was receieving negative remarks on her eval. Our school district thought they were setting this teacher up for success when in all reality because of the mentor they set her up for faliure. This year she is in a new class and a new mentor. I am hoping that we can ban together and give this teacher the support she will need this year. Her old mentor will still be in the building and only a few classes down from her.

15. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 5, 2010

Unfortunately, not all administrations are supportive and not all will give a fair evaluation. I've worked for a principal who made me so nervous I was literally sick to my stomach at work. Since she told the office workers not to send someone down to my room if I called, even if I said it was an emergency, I had to throw up in my room with my students in there. Any time we sent notes home to parents she had to proof read them first, and she would change things that weren't incorrect if she just didn't like how we worded something. She created such a hostile work environment that all but eight of the teachers who I worked with at that school have now transferred. Even some who came after I left have already left. She was not my evaluator, but if she was, I'm sure I would have thought of plenty of ways to avoid it. Even when she did walk-throughs, nothing was ever positive, she only found picky things to point out (the one kid not on the right page, the tiny piece of tape on the wall, etc.) Maybe this teacher was in a situation like that? I'm not saying what she did was right, but I can understand the feeling of hopelessness when you are constantly told you are doing things wrong.

16. GG Fan

GG Fan Rookie

Aug 5, 2010

MissCelia, I had an administrator like that one year too. It was a miserable year.

I'll be honest, I didn't read the article but I can't imagine purposely injuring yourself to get out of it. I missed one of my evaluations b/c I went into preterm labor and was on bedrest for a while (definitely did NOT plan that!), then I missed the rescheduled eval b/c I went into labor again and had the baby (didn't plan that either, but by that time I was ready to have the baby and she obviously was not willing to wait for the planned c-section). We finally got the eval in when I came back from maternity leave. Didn't this teacher realize that evaluations are mandatory and it would just have to be rescheduled?

17. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 5, 2010

How unfortunate, poor kids.

18. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 6, 2010

I have never heard of a teacher doing this, but when my husband was in the Air Force he saw many instances of fellow fliers faking colds and sinus infections to avoid surprise flight checks.

19. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2010

she must have been really frightened. I am sorry that she felt that she had to go to those lengths to miss her eval. I do know some who miss school when they know observers are coming.

20. collteach

collteach Comrade

Aug 6, 2010

It sounds to me like she is mentally unstable. She risked the possibility of serious injury to avoid something that, in the end, is unavoidable. I worked with a principal that many teachers nicknamed, "The Dragon Lady". She seemed to get a kick out of making teachers cry. She was also known to get rid of "dead weight" in the building as quickly as she could. However, no one ever faked injury to avoid having her in their classroom.

21. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 6, 2010

:(

Poor gal... She certainly must have had something else going on inside her head that day. While I am no advocate of personal injury, I am sad that she was so stressed about her performance that she thought that was her only option. :confused:

My first year teaching, there was also a newbie in 3rd. This teacher had a really, really rough time of it. He would often sit in teacher's lounge with his head in his hands crying. He had a mentor who was great, a supportive principal, but it just didn't work out for him. He left mid-year. :(

I'm a nervous/anxious person myself, but am always OK with observation day. I just forget the P is in the back of the room and put my best foot forward.

22. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 6, 2010

I look at it this way, if you LOVE what you're doing, then you'd be more than happy to share it with others. I enjoy when admins come in my room. I don't think anyone should be a teacher if their heart isn't in it. It isn't healthy for the teacher or the children.

23. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2010

I wish mine would come in more to see what my students and I are doing.

24. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Aug 7, 2010

I agree MrsC!