Teacher Fair - Beyond Resume?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeachTN, May 11, 2012.

1. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

May 11, 2012

I am prepping to attend a teacher fair tomorrow. There's lots of schools, so lots of principals/APs to meet in a short time. At other teacher fairs I have provided my resume, Praxis scores, and my college transcript. Is this too much to give each school?

I figure the administration could peruse these documents at their leisure, rather than having to log into the online system to view each document. Not sure if I should kill all these trees to print the documents.

Thanks for your assistance!!

-Lisa

3. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

May 11, 2012

Kill trees in the name of your career. Do you have a generic cover letter or philosophy of education also? I personally wouldn't put test scores/transcripts, but rather a cover letter, resume, phil of ed. I might even add a couple letters of rec in there. Be prepared for many to ask you to fill out their application and submit everyone online, though.

4. wanting2teach

wanting2teach Rookie

May 11, 2012

When I went to job fairs, I brought packets with me. It consisted of my letter of intent, resume, transcripts, and letters of rec. I would just hand it to the HR rep or Principal to peruse later. It is a lot of paper, but you never know - they may just have some down time during the fair and will need something to read!

I got two job offers from the last job fair I attended.

5. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

May 11, 2012

When I went to job fairs, I always had a folder prepared for each district that I was planning on meeting with. In the folder was a resume, cover letter (I made it district specific if I knew the districts in advance) best letters of recommendation and my credentials. I also had a brochure about myself as a teacher on top of the pile.

In addition, I'd bring a few extra folders with generic cover letters in case I ended up having time to see extra districts.

Good luck!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 11, 2012

I think you absolutely need a killer cover letter, addressed to each principal.

And I agree with the folder. Have one for each district, along with a few more generic ones for any surprise districts.

7. MrsAllison

MrsAllison Rookie

May 11, 2012

I did the same as Alisha and made a brochure about myself, which I slipped into a packet with my resume. I included a clear-cut list of my qualifications, my philosophy of education, a little background of myself and why I decided to be a teacher, and some pictures of me working with students. I got really positive reactions from all the principals I handed them to and got 2 interviews out of the 5 I met with. I think it's a good way to summarize all of your good points, to provide information that you won't include on your resume, and most importantly will make them remember you (which is really important when they meet with so many people in such a short amount of time.)

I actually made mine the night before my job fair. Just used a brochure template in Microsoft word and took it to a local copy center to have them printed on fancy paper. Pretty easy and definitely worth it!

8. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

May 11, 2012

Yup! I made mine the same way! I also put quotes from my letters of recommendation on one of the panels. I had been told at more than one interview that that brochure was what got me a call for an interview.