Teacher Evaluations

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by MrsLilHen, Feb 27, 2008.

1. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Feb 27, 2008

Hi!
    I'm hoping you might be able to help. I'm a 6th grade teacher, but I'm on the board of my daughter's preschool. (It's a cooperative) Because there is no "director" only chairs, etc. of the board, we are trying to brainstorm ways to have teacher evaluations...The board is made up of parents of current students, and the system right now is that the co-chairs evaluate the teachers, and send questionnaires to other parents etc. Coming from my job in a public school, I am used to a much more formal evaluation process...

We have fabulous, amazing, wonderful teachers - and the reason we are thinking about evaluations is to have ways of patting them on the back, giving them profession portfolios of evals, and also to let them set professional goals, etc.

When I think evaluation, I think: Beginning of the year: Set goals, Middle of the year: Evaluator comes to watch lessons, observe, and then meets with the teacher to discuss observations and how the goals are going... end of the year teacher shows evidence of reaching goal, and they meet and discuss... Evaluations are written narratives, checklists, etc.

So -- my question (finally! Sorry!) ... How are you evaluated in your preschool? Does anybody else work in a Cooperative where it would be the school's board evaluating you?

Thanks in advance for any help with this!

3. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Feb 28, 2008

My principal evaluates me formally twice a year. She does an observation and takes all her notes. Then later we meet together. She tells me my strengths and areas to improve on. In Iowa we have another evaluation form we both have to fill out. We do that and then meet again to go over that form. She also does some informal walk through evaluations.

4. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Feb 28, 2008

This is also how it works at my district.